What's new

Pakistan to Import 3,000MW Electricity from Iran

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
TEHRAN (Tasnim) - The Al-Aqili Group, which has offered to supply 3,000MW of Iranian electricity to Pakistan under a long-term contract, signed a memorandum of understanding with the ministry of water and power of Pakistan on Monday, local media reports said.

The group will also finance and lay transmission lines to add electricity to the national grid under the terms of the agreement, the Pakistani Dawn news website reported.

The signing ceremony was witnessed by Minister for Water and Power Khawaja Mohammad Asif and Chief Executive Officer of the Al-Aqili Group Mohamed Saeed Al-Aqili.

Asif said that besides making efforts for increasing the country’s power generation capacity, import of power was a viable option.

“We can ensure uninterruptible supply of electricity in the country only by looking at all avenues.”

He expressed the hope that the project would prove to be a major achievement of the government in eliminating the menace of load-shedding and strengthen Pakistan’s economic ties both with Iran and with the United Arab Emirates.

The Al-Aqili Group is rated among the world’s top group of companies and has a number of high-profile partnerships with prominent multinationals.

Tasnim News Agency - Pakistan to Import 3,000MW Electricity from Iran

Good news, a much needed relief for Pakistan. :)

I had a brilliant caption in my mind for this news...........but.......!! :D

What about the US sanctions? It seems with the new deal with Iran they are laying off.

Anyways good development if true :D though 3000MW is too much for Pakistan's already negative balance of trade .

Last edited:
So this Al Aqili Group is based out of Dubai ?

At least that is what their site says. So what is their connection with Iran.

How much of the kickback are th Bratheraan getting, I wonder ?

unnecessary imports will create prolems in already negative current account .
govt should focus on building coal plants in pakistan and using it produce energy like gadani power project. it cn attartc more investment by giving better traif from current 9 cents to 10-12 cents

by the way the power supplied to gawadar is 12 cents per unit. power generated in pakistan from oil is at 18 while from imported coal at 9 cent,s wind at 11-14 cents, hydro at 6-8 cents (through foreign investment BOT).
it means that we will be importing very expensive power

So this Al Aqili Group is based out of Dubai ?

At least that is what their site says. So what is their connection with Iran.

How much of the kickback are th Bratheraan getting, I wonder ?

Isn't it a good thing that Tind is not scuttling this just because its remotely Iran related? I'd say that that is progress at least as far as his mindset and POV is concerned.

From what I had read in the other threads, the problem with the energy sector was non-payment of dues to power producers. Capacity to generate exists. Has power generation from existing capacities re-started?

I pray that this "IMPORTING ELECTRICITY" business is a temporary plan only and not on a large time scale

and in the mean time we produce plants to produce our own electricity and call it off !!!!!!!!

self reliance all the way
!!!!!!

What about the US sanctions? It seems with the new deal with Iran they are laying off.

Anyways good development if true :D though 3000MW is too much for Pakistan's already negative balance of trade .
US sanctions are only limited to commercial businesses. Govt to govt contracts are not a part of the sanctions. Any country in the world can do business with Iran as long as it is between govt to govt

It will take years to build hydro power and coal plants, This Iran deal is good for Short Term.

its a good deal.. take it with both hands..
parsi log discount nahi dete... :p:

I pray that this "IMPORTING ELECTRICITY" business is a temporary plan only and not on a large time scale

and in the mean time we produce plants to produce our own electricity and call it off !!!!!!!!
self reliance all the way !!!!!!

Projects are under way.

It will take us till 2030 to achieve self reliance in power. Then the sky is the limit my friend.

What is the per unit cost? and is it going to be shared by all country or only its consumers would pay?
Who is heading this project from Pakistan side?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom