What's new

Pakistan to face economic sanctions if doesn't open NATO routes

Maybe that's cos Pakistan is Pakistan. We needed you to to clarify that point. Pakistan has already proved to you and to all those that felt that routes would be open in a few weeks they are wrong. Suppose some only accept Pakistani capability once it beyond doubt

I think extraordinary pressure has already been exerted on Pakistan diplomatically and by other means too. One has to commend Pakistans stance as even the staunchest critic assumed the border would be opened within a few weeks. Its obviously hurt the US incredibly.
One week the "pyar" method is attempted - after that fails the "danda" approach is then tryed. Whats next guys?

Why are all you guys ignoring the limits of American power. Pakistan Russia and Iran are potential adversaries of American and Americans need to do a deal with one or all of them.

The American position that they can annoy all and have bases in Afghanistan is simply stupid

I agree, sanctions such as the ones being discussed are a likely possibility in terms of US pressure on Pakistan to launch more military operations against the Taliban/AQ and/or allowing more US military operations inside Pakistan.

The above is a more likely driver of US sanctions than the Nuclear Program, which the US, so far, largely appears to have acquiesced to.

But I still see no potential of sanctions over the refusal of Pakistan to end the NATO blockade, if indeed the blockade is irrelevant to the US.

Once sanctions are in place, it becomes a moot point as to what precise reasons were used to initiate them.

Thus, it would be advantageous for Pakistan to avoid being in that situation in the first place. Whether the supply routes are important enough or not, their closure does not make for a good vibe about Pakistan, does it? (Refusal to eliminate terrorist sanctuaries is another big example, as is keeping Dr. Afridi in jail.)

It is for Pakistan to decide whether those actions, among others, are worth the costs they potentially can impose. I would say they do not. You may differ, of course.

Why are all you guys ignoring the limits of American power. Pakistan Russia and Iran are potential adversaries of American and Americans need to do a deal with one or all of them.

The American position that they can annoy all and have bases in Afghanistan is simply stupid

A pakistan-russia alliance is still far from reality. For the moment the leaders seem to be quite satisfied with token measures. A pakistan-china alliance standing up to the US is much more likely.

Now, Pakistan or china may have the ability to overthrow and destroy america single-handedly.

But for us humble men and women from rest of the world, the american power is limitless for now. Add that and the forces of NATO, you have a truly formidable force. Frankly, I wouldn't want India to go up in arms against the US armed forces ever. This is me being patriotic. I would never in my wildest dreams wish for the destruction of my country.

Once sanctions are in place, it becomes a moot point as to what precise reasons were used to initiate them.

Thus, it would be advantageous for Pakistan to avoid being in that situation in the first place. Whether the supply routes are important enough or not, their closure does not make for a good vibe about Pakistan, does it? (Refusal to eliminate terrorist sanctuaries is another big example, as is keeping Dr. Afridi in jail.)

It is for Pakistan to decide whether those actions, among others, are worth the costs they potentially can impose. I would say they do not. You may differ, of course.

For once our political leaders are bowing to public opinion in not allowing transit routes its amazing those self appointed guardians of democracy are now critical of Pakistani position on these routes

They have complained [ not like NK bcoz obviously PK is/was an ally]. Infact it could be the best possible explanation for sanctions along with terrorist sanctuaries as VCheng pointed out. Combine those two and we get the famous 'nukes in the hands of terrorists' and the west goes into a full-blown paranoia.
So the possibilities are endless and the ball is in Pak's court.
But still nothing to do with NATO supply lines ....

A pakistan-russia alliance is still far from reality. For the moment the leaders seem to be quite satisfied with token measures. A pakistan-china alliance standing up to the US is much more likely.

Now, Pakistan or china may have the ability to overthrow and destroy america single-handedly.

But for us humble men and women from rest of the world, the american power is limitless for now. Add that and the forces of NATO, you have a truly formidable force. Frankly, I wouldn't want India to go up in arms against the US armed forces ever. This is me being patriotic. I would never in my wildest dreams wish for the destruction of my country.

Mate I refer you to the Afghan conference in Turkey where Russia China Pakistan and Iran were on the same page as to what they wanted in our region. No one supported American silk road and India was strangely silent. Now why should surrounding countries make it easy for America to achieve what Americans want against what the neighbours want?

Why should they cooperate long term with providing routes to America to have bases to keep an eye on Iran contain China meddle in Russian influenced cars etc

Refusal to eliminate terrorist sanctuaries is another big example, as is keeping Dr. Afridi in jail.)

america is already operating drone in pakistan most of the time killing innocents, still these bloody idiots have excuse that ooohhh you guys are having terrorist sactuaries, and when we do operate their, then they say, you are not doing enough, do more, what ever pakistan does will not please its master, this whole drama is to embarrass pakistan nothing more, there is nothing for pakistan in this war except distruction which america pays the console money in the form of scraps

i thing your country is hypocrite at best, it never stops to whine like a retard

you country is the terrorist who keeps on occupying afghanistan, now why are you not leaving it, when you have already got osama bin laden, the whole reason you occupied it

leave afghanistan and let the afghanis be at peace, and save your dwindling economy

.......... and we get the famous 'nukes in the hands of terrorists' and the west goes into a full-blown paranoia.
So the possibilities are endless and the ball is in Pak's court.

It is a real danger that Pakistan will get boxed into that corner by an irresistible combination of external pressure and internal stupidity, unless there is some real awakening.

america is already operating drone in pakistan most of the time killing innocents, still these bloody idiots have excuse that ooohhh you guys are having terrorist sactuaries, and when we do operate their, then they say, you are not doing enough, do more

i thing your country is hypocrite at best, it never stops to whine like a retard

you country is the terrorist who keeps on occupying afghanistan, now why are you not leaving it, when you have already got osama bin laden, the whole reason you occupied it

leave afghanistan and let the afghanis be at peace, and save your dwindling economy

I think it is more hypocritical of people like you to ignore the three civilian deaths that occurred after Pakistan Army helicopters opened fire on its own citizens in the military operation after the killing of 9 soldiers, but why take the thread off topic?

OBL was only one of the leaders of Al-Qaeda. The job will be complete after the remaining ones are mopped up, like AAZ, and the area cannot be used for attacks against USA any longer. That is the reason USA went into Afghanistan, by why take the thread off topic?

The US economy is doing just fine actually, but that discussion belongs in another topic too.

How can Pakistan avoid sanctions or deal with sanctions should they be imposed is the more relevant question here.

It is a real danger that Pakistan will get boxed into that corner by an irresistible combination of external pressure and internal stupidity, unless there is some real awakening.

In the face of adversity in history leaders and country are remembered for taking a stand and it is what makes them and defines them. I doubt if Britain would have survived the second world war and given in to Hitler when things looked bleak if there had been advisers and leaders saying throw the towel in.

Pakistan needs to do what is in its best interest of Pakistan not what the odd Pakistani with support from Indians want Pakistan to do

How can Pakistan avoid sanctions or deal with sanctions should they be imposed is the more relevant question here.

This was a question by a Pakistani minister whose mental state is in question in some quarters

Dr afridi is pakistani not some half arse american, he is being held because he violated laws, for legal reasons, so forget about afridi and mind your own bloody business

The fact that it is Indians who on this thread along with Cheng wanting routes to be opened so Pakistan wont face sanctions cos its in Pakistan's best interest speaks volumes:rofl:

Instead of criticizing of rulers common Pakistani should understand that government has to run nation. They need financial assistance.In the pursiut of this sometimes they have to take unpopular decisions. Its easy to log in on computer and type against the government. When you have to run the country they have to do it.

Instead of criticizing of rulers common Pakistani should understand that government has to run nation. They need financial assistance.In the pursiut of this sometimes they have to take unpopular decisions. Its easy to log in on computer and type against the government. When you have to run the country they have to do it.

But surprise surprise how kind for Indians to come on here and be so nice to explain to us Pakistanis what is good for us. Thank you.

VCheng, why your country doesnt respond to alquada presence in libya who are openly flying alquade flags there??, and alquaeda operatives who were involved in gaddafi killings

alquaida has taken over a country with the help of nato, you americans stay silient while spending billions on false alquaida hunting in yemen and afghanistan?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom