What's new

Pakistan tells US to cut CIA, special forces number

Black Knight

New Recruit

Reaction score
Pakistan has told the United States to sharply cut the number of CIA agents and special forces operating there, and to rein in drone strikes against militants, a US newspaper said Monday.
The New York Times said the order highlighted the near collapse of US-Pakistani cooperation, the result of a row that erupted when CIA officer Raymond Davis shot and killed two men who tried to rob him in January.
The authorities in Islamabad were asking a total of about 335 CIA officers, contractors and special operations forces to leave the country, according to a Pakistani official involved in the decision who was quoted by the daily.
Pakistan's army chief General Ashfaq Kayani personally ordered the reductions, it added, citing unnamed US and Pakistani officials.
The news came as Lieutenant General Ahmad Shuja Pasha, the chief of Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Pakistan's powerful military spy agency, met in Washington with Leon Panetta, director of the Central Intelligence Agency.
George Little, a CIA spokesman, told AFP the talks were productive and that relations between the agency and the ISI remained on a "solid footing."
The Pakistani official involved in the decision to cut back the US presence told the newspaper that Pakistan suspects that what Washington really wants to do is to neutralize the Muslim country's nuclear arsenal.
The daily said Kayani has asked for a 25-40 percent reduction in the number of US Special Operations troops, most of whom train the paramilitary Frontier Corps in the northwest tribal region which is home to the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.
It also said Pakistan had set a quota of 120 Special Forces soldiers operating in Pakistan, a figure it says has been reached.
Pakistan is also demanding Washington remove all US contractors used by the CIA as well as CIA agents who were involved in all missions that the ISI had been unaware of, the Pakistani official was cited as saying.
Davis was reportedly involved in a covert CIA assignment to penetrate the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group.
A Pakistani official who met with the army chief said "Kayani would like the drones stopped," after complaining that the Obama administration's expanded drone attacks had run out of control.
If they cannot be stopped, Kayani demanded, then the campaign should return to the more limited score they were used for originally and target areas within North Waziristan, the paper said.

one thing that I don't get is the apparent surprise our intelligence community exhibited about the revelation of Davis type agents in Pakistan. Why didn't the ISI or any other intelligence agency in Pakistan have eyes on these guys? Every agency in has a counter espionage division, yet when Davis was cought, the military and intelligence people were 'outraged' at the fact that the cia had covert agents in Pakistan. Shouldn't someone have been keeping more tabs on these guys, especially considering that there are special divisions of counter espionage in practically every intelligence agency, including the ISI?

one thing that I don't get is the apparent surprise our intelligence community exhibited about the revelation of Davis type agents in Pakistan.

"The Oh My we had no idea that those nasty Americans had spies in Pakistan, we really belived they needed 335 cleaners for the abassadors office," yea right.

Dont confuse what is released for public relations with reality. The ISI knows the Cia doesnt trust it on some subjects,so has opperations to obtain its own intelligence, the Cia knowsthey know and the game goes on.

Well folks the bad news is that US has refused to discuss on how many of their men be allowed to work inside Pakistan.

Another bad news, US has refused Pakistan to reduce the number of Embassy staff in Pakistan..

That said it shows Pakistan has no control on the international level and no independent foreign policy. My country and the outsiders says No to me? what a blatant behavior on part of both Pakistan and US. Perhaps I hope Pak Army would have to be even more vigorous and to show "danda to the Govt"

It is not just the US, any country abusng diplomatic or friendly ties need to be restricted. Saudis also need to be stopped from funding madrasaas. If they want to fund they can do it in India or Saudi Arabia.

It is not just the US, any country abusng diplomatic or friendly ties need to be restricted. Saudis also need to be stopped from funding madrasaas. If they want to fund they can do it in India or Saudi Arabia.

Does that include the ISI Sp.. er Embassy staff in Washington, New Delhi and Karachi?

US has stated yesterday late that is in todays news "we are NOT GOING TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES IN PAKISTAN. :usflag:

what the hell cut the number of special cia agents in pakistan dammit our army is sold out too now ISI and all those aur US dummies i hate pak army and ISI enemy of common pakistani people

It also includes Indians that hide behind New Zealand Avatars.

I get very tired of the oh you dont agree with me you must be Indian, as i have said before.

If you dont belive me feel free to ask Webby to confirm my IP address, i am sure after 1000 posts if i was faking my location he would have banned me by now.

Your answer still ignores the question, then it is common practice when you cant come up with a reply to just attack the poster rather than answer the queston.

Yes the CIA has assets in Pakistan they arent to interested in telling the ISI about.
You can bet the ISI has assets in other countries they arent to interested in telling the CIA about.
Its called spying, Hint, it doesnt work if you turn up at the embassy for a visa and tell them your a spy when you apply.:triniti:

Back
Top Bottom