What's new

Pakistan teenager rescued after kidnap by fake Facebook friend

Safriz

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A 13-year-old boy who was kidnapped in the Pakistani city of Karachi after being lured into a meeting via Facebook has been rescued, police say.

Police said that a criminal gang masqueraded as an online gaming friend and abducted him after arranging to meet him last week. The gang demanded a $500,000 (£330,447) ransom.

Kidnapping is a tactic frequently used by militants and criminals in Pakistan.

But cases involving the use of social media to lure children are rare.

The gang first made contact with the boy online months ago, police are quoted as saying in local media reports.

He is reported to be the son of a senior customs official in the city.

Police said they used mobile phone records to track the kidnappers, according to AFP.

Five of the kidnappers were killed in the operation to rescue the boy, media reports say.

The boy's mother made an emotional plea to other parents to supervise their children's use of social media:

"This is my request to all the parents to never let their children make friendship on Facebook.

"I beg you for God's sake that you never do," she is quoted as saying by the AFP news agency.

Karachi-Kidnapped-13-year-old-boy-rescued_5-27-2013_102627_l.jpg

bskyb_image_239818_v1_mustafa_pakistan_kidnap_1_400x240.jpg

http://www.thenews.com.pk/article-102627-Karachi:-Teen-kidnapped-through-Facebook-recovered-

Really stupid on the part of the parents I'd say...they let their 13 year old kid go off with some anonymous guy from Facebook?

OUr parents didn't let us go out with some stranger even when we were 17!

in the mean time... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know but i sense a conspiracy is being hatched here to ban Facebook in Pakistan. This story is all over the news while 17 kids burned to death and had absolute minimum coverage of the incident.

I don't know but i sense a conspiracy is being hatched here to ban Facebook in Pakistan. This story is all over the news while 17 kids burned to death and had absolute minimum coverage of the incident.

No it has been given adequate coverage in Pakistan and even the police has launched a crackdown on low Quality uncertified gas fittings in vehicles...

Good thing that the child was retrieved alive. Great work by the police ! Please don't judge the parents. Nowhere in the article does it mention that they were aware of where their son was going to etc. Just a sharp lesson to watch your kids when they use the internet etc

No it has been given adequate coverage in Pakistan and even the police has launched a crackdown on low Quality uncertified gas fittings in vehicles...

Last year there were about 50 people died in the same sort of accident and no action was taken. Same would be the case here. 1 Malala was injured and the whole world break lose, no one seems to have bothered about 17 of these Malalas. In Malala's case may be a bearded terrorist was involved hence got the attention, but here no one seems to be bothering about these Governmental terrorists. Why no official is fired yet, and no culprit captured? Indeed we're living a jungle-state.

A 13-year-old boy who was kidnapped in the Pakistani city of Karachi after being lured into a meeting via Facebook has been rescued, police say.

Police said that a criminal gang masqueraded as an online gaming friend and abducted him after arranging to meet him last week. The gang demanded a $500,000 (£330,447) ransom.

Kidnapping is a tactic frequently used by militants and criminals in Pakistan.

But cases involving the use of social media to lure children are rare.

The gang first made contact with the boy online months ago, police are quoted as saying in local media reports.

He is reported to be the son of a senior customs official in the city.

Police said they used mobile phone records to track the kidnappers, according to AFP.

Five of the kidnappers were killed in the operation to rescue the boy, media reports say.

The boy's mother made an emotional plea to other parents to supervise their children's use of social media:

"This is my request to all the parents to never let their children make friendship on Facebook.

"I beg you for God's sake that you never do," she is quoted as saying by the AFP news agency.

Karachi-Kidnapped-13-year-old-boy-rescued_5-27-2013_102627_l.jpg

bskyb_image_239818_v1_mustafa_pakistan_kidnap_1_400x240.jpg

Karachi: Kidnapped 13-year-old boy rescued - thenews.com.pk

Swift and professional action by the police.

Hats off :tup:

This is what sometimes I like about Pakistan and many Arabian countries,Faisla on the spot,5 scums of society despatched to hell .No long unbearing and torchering court procedures for years.

Those 5 kiled should rot in hell.Good work Pak Police.:tup:

Good work by the police. Great that the boy is safe.

Back
Top Bottom