What's new

Pakistan Super League: Indian players want to take part, says PCB official

Safriz

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan Super League: Indian players want to take part, says PCB official – The Express Tribune

KARACHI: At a time when India and Bangladesh have refused to play in Pakistan, their players have contacted the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) in order to take part in the Pakistan Super League which is scheduled to get underway in March.

The PSL looks set to kick off from March 26 at two different venues in Pakistan – possibly Lahore and Karachi. While refusing to share the names of those foreign players interested in the league, a PCB official confirmed that the interest was there.

“The Bangladesh board doesn’t want to send its national team to Pakistan but some top Bangladesh players have contacted us to become a part of the PSL,” a senior PCB official told The Express Tribune. “Four Indian players are also interested in playing and have already submitted their applications to their board and their IPL franchises to allow them to take part.”

The official added that a maximum of 30 foreign players will be bought to become part of the five-team event with each franchise having the luxury of six players out of which only four can be part of the playing-XI. The rest of the squad, and playing-XI, will comprise local players. The official stressed that only top players will be brought as they want to ensure the standard of the league.

“The event has been kept short to ensure that we attract maximum players and our competition isn’t affected largely due to the IPL,” he claimed.

The board has got a huge boost by roping in former International Cricket Council’s chief executive Haroon Lorgat, whose rapport has been a great help in building connections.

‘Greenidge, Emburey interested in coaching’

The official said that former greats have shown interest in becoming head coaches of the five franchises while former Pakistan coach Geoff Lawson has also indicated that he is thrilled to return to Pakistan.

“West Indian great Gordon Greenidge, John Emburey, Lawson and Alvin Kallicharran all want to work as head coaches as they don’t have any security concerns with travelling to Pakistan,” added the official before confirming that local coaches will be considered for top positions and support staff of the teams as well.

It has also been learnt that the banking sector and corporate houses have shown interest in buying franchises while a Pakistani-American billionaire, thought to be Shahid Khan who also owns an NFL team Jacksonville Jaguars, has shown interest as well.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 12th, 2013.

by March? that's just around the corner

I dont think PSL can afford to bid for any Foreign Players,at least not the big names..But lets see.
If the interest is there,and money is there,we may see Indian/Bangla Players coming here on their own..

great news! i hope this league can attract more players from foreign countries! may this league become a catalyst for bringing international cricket back to Pakistan!

I don't think Indian players will come after recent LOC misadventures..

after seeing how they did in their own home turf, i dont think they'd be able to 'perform' in front of jingoistic Pakistani crowds anyways

it should be a Pakistani venture with PAKISTANIS only. We have a large country, all sponsors know how lucrative Pakistani cricketing is. Over time, foreign interest will build up.

A Pakistani league was well in order for ages, too bad it took so bloody long.

after seeing how they did in their own home turf, i dont think they'd be able to 'perform' in front of jingoistic Pakistani crowds anyways

it should be a Pakistani venture with PAKISTANIS only. We have a large country, all sponsors know how lucrative Pakistani cricketing is. Over time, foreign interest will build up.

A Pakistani league was well in order for ages, too bad it took so bloody long.

I am sure even inter school cricket competitions in India could pay better than so call Pakistan super league. Why would Indian players go to play there for nuts and that too with risking their lives.

^ Maybe you can ask your cricketers why they would do that? Afterall, they're the ones interested in PSL rather than Bharati inter school cricket compentations. How do you know it will pay peanuts? If it can be worth 100 million as suggested by Haroon Lorgat, then you'll easily see several 1m+ contracts being handed out.

The article speaks about 4 Indian players. Most probably they would be Grade 3 players. Very unlikely anyone from Grade 1 or 2 would participate since they are handsomely paid.

I am sure even inter school cricket competitions in India could pay better than so call Pakistan super league. Why would Indian players go to play there for nuts and that too with risking their lives.

Its time you should ask your inter school cricket players to play for Indian national team because your experienced players earning millions from ipl could not perform better for Indian team if you look at their performances in recent matches. What money or salary has anything to do with talent but hindu buniya cannot think about anything else other than money :D:P

I am personally against this idea of IPL/BPL/SPL/PSL which is more about business and less about cricket but i understand the reason pakistan strating this league..its just a step to encourage international teams that Pakistan is safe for international cricket

well, the IPL is well-established by now and it's a lot more lucrative than any other PL in South Asia would be for some time......so yes, i totally agree with you on that

and yes you're right - Pakistani isn't exactly "marketed" as the most sought after destination for athletes or anyone else except maybe rock-climbers and adventure/nature seekers. But this is a phase and we will overcome it.

If there were a few things that bring everyone together closely to the point where even traffic and daily life is put on hold - one of them would be cricket.

As for risking lives - well hey. Theyre more likely to get hurt by a fast-ball than a gun attack. A REAL man assumes risk when he does something he loves.

indians are interested thats one thing, will BCCI grant them NOC for PSL is another

Back
Top Bottom