What's new

Pakistan’s first-ever liver transplant centre opens in Shifa Hospital

Well in 6-9 months, Pakistanis living abroad have been sending more than 15+ billions of dollars. This could be an option.
They are not giving it to govt, they are giving to their families (not taxable).
It can help paying external debt (because it is paid in dollars mostly), and extra money in family's hand can make healthcare affordable to them, but govt cant use it to subsidise healthcare.

Of course, if you can create a healthcare fund, and all expats chip in, that can help to certain degree, but remember healthcare costs a lot(even compared to defence)

They are not giving it to govt, they are giving to their families (not taxable).
It can help paying external debt (because it is paid in dollars mostly), and extra money in family's hand can make healthcare affordable to them, but govt cant use it to subsidise healthcare.

Of course, if you can create a healthcare fund, and all expats chip in, that can help to certain degree, but remember healthcare costs a lot(even compared to defence)

It makes up to 7% of Cuba's GDP, about 8.8 billion dollars for 11 million people.

it makes up to 16% of Canada's GDP, about 98 billion dollars for 33 million people.

It makes up to 8.8% of U.K's GDP, about 250 billion dollars for 62 million people.

However, let us say 10% of Pakistan's current GDP is used. It will cost around 17.6 billion dollars for 200 million people.

I have personally met with Doctor. Faisal dar regarding my father transplant he is very nice and caring person he told me that currently we are taking 4 million pak R's. but soon the cost will be under 35 million rs with 85% survival

It makes up to 7% of Cuba's GDP, about 8.8 billion dollars for 11 million people.

it makes up to 16% of Canada's GDP, about 98 billion dollars for 33 million people.

It makes up to 8.8% of U.K's GDP, about 250 billion dollars for 62 million people.

However, let us say 10% of Pakistan's current GDP is used. It will cost around 17.6 billion dollars for 200 million people.

10 percent of GDP on healthcare is highly optimistic but unlikely considering the defence allocation required in the hostile neighbourhood.
Even if it is true, it is a small amout per head.
ppp wise it will be nearly 40 billion, which is 200 dollar per head.
Compare that with nearly 1500 dollar per head in cuba(cuba can produce cheap drugs, has big pharma industry) or 3500 dollar per head in UK (used your numbers and wiki ppp figures for calculation please do it yourself if you think it is not accurate enough).

200 dollar per head will give excellent primary healthcare but not liver transplant.

I have personally met with Doctor. Faisal dar regarding my father transplant he is very nice and caring person he told me that currently we are taking 4 million pak R's. but soon the cost will be under 35 million rs with 85% survival

3.5million Rupees or 35million????:undecided:

but at higher cost. I checked and found that it is $60,000 in India and $42,000 in Pakistan.

I doubt the difference in costs because India doesn't have uniform price structure. I am sure you can find a doctor in India who's just done 4 liver transplants asking $30000 for another transplant. I know this because I have visited a major hospital recently asking for pricing, they said it costs $45000. $60000 quoted could include travel and staying expenses.

In any case, I would much rather visit an experienced doctor if I had money than one who just done 4 liver transplants.

Mate - Happy for you. Again wish your father a speedy recovery.

Great.... Shifa is one of the best hospital in Pakistan facility wise. Kinda expensive but they do give the best of what they have.

hope it spreads to karachi quetta peshawar and lahore as well

Only if this happened 15 years ago, my mom would be still alive today.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom