What's new

Pakistan restores historic Katas Raj temple

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
20120520_43.jpg

While I was standing for my turn in the queue at the Attari-Wagah border passport window, I came across Mishal, a Portuguese tourist who had just visited Pakistan and was entering India. She told me that he had been in Pakistan for two months and traveled from Swat to Lahore as a tourist. She stated, “I wondered whether Pakistan can be a tourist hub. Believe me, Pakistan is much more than a bunch of bloodthirsty terrorists and corrupt politicians. I won’t be tired of saying that it’s really an amazing world which is yet to find its tourist potential.”

Pondering over Mishal’s words, I entered the border to be welcomed by a group of Aitchison College students. After the customary Model United Nations job, I embarked upon my primary concern of going across the nation and file a story on the monuments and especially the Vedic temples.

I was told not to miss Katas Raj Mandir that happens to be situated in Katas village in the Chakwal district of Punjab in Pakistan. Nestled away in the eastern part of the great Salt Range, east of Islamabad, lie these temples, also known as Satghara temples for centuries. With the construction of the Islamabad-Lahore Motorway which skirts its edge, it is emerging as a popular tourist destination in the region. It is located on the main road leading from Lake Kallar Kahar to Choa Saidan Shah and is not far from the Kallar Kahar Lake. Built in the 9th-11th century when the Salt Range was part of the powerful Hindu Kingdom of Kashmir, this large complex houses several temples most of which, unfortunately, are in a rather derelict condition.

There is also a fortress surrounding a pool that happens to be the freshest of water body with a lovely light bluish green tinge. The pond makes it perhaps the most wondrous of all Pakistani monuments. Undoubtedly, Katas happens to be one of the most impressive and oldest of Vedic temples. Though I’ve seen world’s most famous temples, like Meenakshi temple, Puri temple, Akshardham temple, Ganpati temple, nowhere I found the grandeur and glory that hovered around Katas Raj temple.

Dedicated to Shiva, the temple has existed since the days of Mahabharata ava brothers spent a substantial part of their exile at the site. The Pakistan government is considering nominating the temple complex for World Heritage Site status. It is also spending about Rs 20 million in three phases for the restoration of the complex. According to Hindu mythology, when Lord Shiva’s favourite wife Parvati died, he shed so many tears in her grief that his endless tears formed this pond. Simultaneously, another pond was formed at Pushkar in Ajmer. The pond is not merely a historic decoration; it is not only a source of fresh water to thousands of people but also irrigates orchards sprawling on tens of thousands acres of land.

According to Gen Cunningham, Katas was considered the second largest holy place in Punjab for Hindu pilgrims after Jwala Mukhi. It is said famous Pando brothers spent 12 years in Katas and built the temples of Satghara. It is said Al-Beruni also spent some time at Katas to learn Sanskrit in a linguistic university which, at that time, was established here. Temples at Katas have been transferred from the federal government to the Punjab Archaeology Department recently.

Katas Raj is also the place where Al-Beruni attempted to measure the circumference of the earth, studied Sanskrit and wrote his renowned Kitab-ul-Hind (Book of Hind) which depicted the religion, scientific knowledge, and social customs of Hindus. Eminent ascetic, Paras Nath Jogi drew his last breath in Katas. Jagat Guru Nanakji also visited the place on the 1st of Vaihsakha. Katas came to be known as Nanak N1was and was a site of contemplation for many large groups of mystics, ascetics and jogis (ascetics). According to Hindu beliefs, taking bath in the holy pond at the site washes away all sins and makes man innocent.

While I had visited it last time in November 2010, having seen its sorry plight, I had written quite a few letters to the concerned the authorities including the Punjab Archaeology Department and even to the president.

There has been no response; however, I’ve been informed that at my behest, not only the Pakistan government is considering nominating the temple complex for World Heritage Site status but is also restoring to its pristine glory.

The government is also spending about Rs 20 million in three phases for the restoration of the complex. Two phases of restoration have already been completed while the third one is on. Nevertheless, Katas temple has its own plight to be told. Pundit Javed Akram Kumar, who is also chief of the Katas Raj Parbandh Committee, lamented that the historic temple has been robbed of all its relics, save for a stone carving depicting a god and a goddess, who are sitting, and two female slaves standing on either side. The Pundit also fears that Katas temple pundit fears smugglers have eye on last surviving relic.

Kumar also told that Lord Shiva is one of the three main Hindu gods, the other two being Brahma and Vishnu. The three together are called ‘Trimurti’ and complete the cycle of life. Brahma is the creator, Vishnu the maintainer or preserver and Shiva the destroyer or transformer. Shiva is also known for his strong love for his wife, Kumar said, adding that their love was the reason for the creation of the Katas Raj temple.

Kumar accused the Punjab Archaeology Department (PAD) for lack of interest and not providing the temple enough security. He said the temple had been a continuous victim to smugglers of ancient sculptures. He said the surviving statue of Shiva was priceless and was also in threat of being stolen.

Kumar said that the temple could have been a major tourist attraction, if the government had paid attention to it and advertised it. He said the temple was one of the most ancient sites in the country. He said the Katas Valley had been famous for its beauty and centuries ago, there used to be a Sanskrit University in the valley which had produced many eminent scientists, including Al-Beruni.

Afnan Khan, a heritage lover from Lahore states, “Pity that no government here has been able to grasp the wonders of this unexplored tourist paradise, with so many wonderful things that exist here to be seen and ‘exploited’.

It would have been wonderful, had the rest of the temples been restored as well in the same way as Katas. It would attract more and more Hindu followers of their deities to frequent these temples only to cement friendly bonds.

They are losing so many opportunities to attract millions of tourists each year, because the government does not invest in advertising and even less adequately preserve the cultural richness of the land. You can count on fingers the very few souls who visit Pakistan as tourists, in comparison to what it could have been. What a pity! lll

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Do you have pictures of the temple after it been repaired then?

The government is also spending about Rs 20 million in three phases for the restoration of the complex. Two phases of restoration have already been completed while the third one is on.

Its a nice place to visit, especially that white structure..
You really have to squeeze through its small staircase to get to the top.. but there are nice drawings on the wall of various deities and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom