What's new

Pakistan pulls out of 44th Chess Olympiad in protest against India’s politicization of sports | July 2022 .

Pakistan Ka Beta

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistan pulls out of 44th Chess Olympiad in protest against India’s politicization of sports​

Thu, 28 Jul 2022, 10:28 AM

uploads708738images-3-4-696x418.jpeg

ISLAMABAD, Jul 28 (APP): In protest of India’s “mischievous attempt” to mix politics with sports, Pakistan has decided not to participate in the 44th Chess Olympiad being held in India.
“Pakistan will also raise the matter with the International Chess Federation at the highest level,” the Foreign Office said in a statement on Thursday.
Pakistan was invited by the International Chess Federation (FIDE) to participate in the 44th Chess Olympiad scheduled to be held in Chennai, India, from July 28 to August 10. A Pakistani contingent was already training for this event.
The Foreign Office said, “Regrettably, India has chosen to politicize this prestigious international sporting event by passing the torch relay of this event through the Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK),” it said.
The torch relay passed through Srinagar on June 21.
The FO said by passing the torch relay through IIOJK, in utter disregard of the globally acknowledged “disputed” status of the territory, India had committed a travesty that the international community cannot accept under any circumstances.
“India must know that by such provocative and indefensible actions, it can neither seek nor claim international legitimacy for its unjustifiable, illegal and tyrannical occupation of IIOJK continuing for over 7 decades,” it said.
The FO said, “Pakistan also strongly urges the international community to call upon India to end its gross and systematic violations of human rights in IIOJK, revoke its illegal and unilateral actions of 5 August 2019, and free all political prisoners including the true Kashmiri leaders”.
Jammu and Kashmir is an internationally recognized “disputed” territory between Pakistan and India.
The IIOJK has been under forcible and illegal occupation of India since 1947 and this dispute has remained on the agenda of the United Nations Security Council for more than seven decades. India is responsible for widespread atrocities and egregious human rights violations in IIOJK.
Since India’s illegal and unilateral actions of 5 August 2019, Indian occupation forces have extra-judicially killed more than 650 innocent Kashmiris. More ominously, India has been seeking to change the demographic structure of the occupied territory in flagrant violation of relevant UN Security Council resolutions, international law, and the 4th Geneva Convention.

Pakistan condemns Indian attempt to politicize 44th Chess Olympiad being held in Chennai

July 28, 2022
6179710131658985192.jpg

Pakistan has strongly condemned Indian attempts to politicize 44th Chess Olympiad scheduled to begin in Chennai from today.
In a statement, Foreign Office Spokesperson Asim Iftikhar said Pakistan was invited by the International Chess Federation (FIDE) to participate in the Chess Olympiad. A Pakistani contingent was already training for this event.
The spokesperson, however, regretted that India chose to politicize this prestigious international sporting event by passing the torch relay of this event through the Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK) on 21st July.
The spokesperson said this is in utter disregard of the globally acknowledged disputed status of the territory. He said India has committed a travesty that the international community cannot accept under any circumstances. India must know that by such provocative and indefensible actions, it can neither seek nor claim international legitimacy for its unjustifiable, illegal and tyrannical occupation of IIOJK continuing for over 7 decades.
He said Pakistan condemns India’s mischievous attempt to mix politics with sports. As a protest, he said Pakistan has decided not to participate in the 44th Chess Olympiad and will also raise the matter with the International Chess Federation at the highest level.

Last edited:

Pakistan condemns Indian attempt to politicize 44th Chess Olympiad being held in Chennai

July 28, 2022
6179710131658985192.jpg

Pakistan has strongly condemned Indian attempts to politicize 44th Chess Olympiad scheduled to begin in Chennai from today.
In a statement, Foreign Office Spokesperson Asim Iftikhar said Pakistan was invited by the International Chess Federation (FIDE) to participate in the Chess Olympiad. A Pakistani contingent was already training for this event.
The spokesperson, however, regretted that India chose to politicize this prestigious international sporting event by passing the torch relay of this event through the Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK) on 21st July.
The spokesperson said this is in utter disregard of the globally acknowledged disputed status of the territory. He said India has committed a travesty that the international community cannot accept under any circumstances. India must know that by such provocative and indefensible actions, it can neither seek nor claim international legitimacy for its unjustifiable, illegal and tyrannical occupation of IIOJK continuing for over 7 decades.
He said Pakistan condemns India’s mischievous attempt to mix politics with sports. As a protest, he said Pakistan has decided not to participate in the 44th Chess Olympiad and will also raise the matter with the International Chess Federation at the highest level.

Good principled move by Pakistan.

Is Chess a popular board game in Pakistan? :undecided:

What happens when for 2023 Cricket World Cup, the same mischief is repeated?? :coffee:

They have a torch relay for a chess tournament? How bizarre.

It has been introduced from this year. TBH I find it bizarre too. It is something I associate with physical sports, not with sedentary games like chess. When the FIDE president can call chess players 'athletes', I guess the torch relay is small concession :sarcastic:

It has been introduced from this year. TBH I find it bizarre too. It is something I associate with physical sports, not with sedentary games like chess. When the FIDE president can call chess players 'athletes', I guess the torch relay is small concession :sarcastic:

That’s what I was thinking it’s a link to physical disciplines. Maybe they should have had a poetry read or something.

That’s what I was thinking it’s a link to physical disciplines. Maybe they should have had a poetry read or something.

I am tempted to believe it was not FIDE's idea 😜

You have to be physically very fit for chess too. Professional chess players burn over 5000 calories a day playing chess - akin to running a marathon.

You have to be physically very fit for chess too. Professional chess players burn over 5000 calories a day playing chess - akin to running a marathon.

I read Vishwanathan Anand saying something to that effect (not the calorie count though). He said it is physically very demanding, but I could not relate to it much. Yes the mind must be working very hard, but how does one burn more calories than say, someone doing office work for the same duration.

Back
Top Bottom