What's new

Pakistan poised to launch military action against Taliban

FalconsForPeace

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Defence minister warns that government will bomb militant hideouts or invade tribal areas if insurgent attacks continue

A police officer stands guard at the site of Monday's attack at a courtroom in Islamabad in which 11 people died. Photograph: Ahmad Kamal/Rex

Pakistan could launch a full-scale military operation against the Pakistani Taliban in tribal areas near the Afghan border as early as this month, its defence minister said, warning insurgents against violating a ceasefire.

Gunmen burst into a courtroom in Islamabad on Monday, killing 11 people in the heart of the capital, dashing chances of a peace deal with the Pakistani Taliban. It denied any role in the assault, with a splinter group claiming responsibility.

Pakistan's defence minister, Khawaja Asif, told Reuters that the government would not hesitate to bomb militant hideouts or send forces into the tribal areas if the Taliban did not abide by the ceasefire announced last weekend.

"It will not take months now. We'll have to march in the month of March," Asif said of Islamabad's response if insurgent attacks continued. "If there is a ceasefire, it has to be complete. Without that, we just can't afford to have talks with the Taliban."

Asif, long considered a pro-talks politician, is one of a growing number of members of the prime minister Nawaz Sharif's cabinet who believe it is time for tougher military action against Pakistani Taliban strongholds.

Sharif has been under pressure from the US and hawks within the Pakistani army to send troops into North Waziristan, a tribal region along the Afghan border that is home to a complex web of militant groups linked to al-Qaida.

Since 2007, the military has mounted a number of offensives against militant strongholds in the north-west, largely clearing several areas, including their bastion of South Waziristan. But North Waziristan has not been tackled, even though Pakistani Taliban members have taken refuge there along with allied Afghan factions not fighting the Pakistani state.

In February, Pakistan launched talks with the Taliban to find a negotiated settlement. But hopes of a peace deal have been crushed by a series of attacks and counter-attacks by both sides.

"We won't just take this lying down," Asif said. "If we are attacked, the state is attacked, civilians are attacked, military personal are attacked, we will retaliate. We will retaliate in kind."

Despite the government pursuing peace talks, Asif said there were very few takers for the argument that the Taliban are truly committed to dialogue.

"The Taliban have not even condemned this so-called splinter group four days after the attack. They are saying, 'We have not violated a ceasefire, these are peripheral groups, they are not under our control,'" he said. "But we cannot believe this."

When asked about reports that talks may be relaunched, this time with Pakistan's powerful military in the driving seat, Asif said: "The army's input is very valuable. They are the people on the frontlines. They have to execute our decisions."

The push for talks with the Pakistani Taliban is driven to a large extent by government fears that the end of the US combat mission in Afghanistan this year could energise a resilient insurgency straddling the shared frontier.

"If in the post-withdrawal period, the Afghan Taliban become stronger and carve out an area of influence in the south and east of Afghanistan, which is next to our border – that's a scenario we should even avoid thinking of. Because then the Pakistani Taliban will have a powerhouse behind them, to support them. This option is there and everyone should try to avoid it," Asif said.

For sceptics, there is another scenario Pakistan wants to avoid at all costs: an unfriendly Afghanistan backed by India. Pakistan and India, nuclear-armed neighbours, have long suspected each other's motives in Afghanistan.

As Nato's presence fades, the Afghan president, Hamid Karzai, has turned to India. The countries have signed a wide-ranging strategic partnership and Delhi has pledged billions in development aid. Pakistan has for years been suspicious of the help, going as far as to say Indian consulates are surveillance posts.

But Asif said Pakistan, and particularly its army, which has for decades jealously guarded the right to dictate policy on Afghanistan, had evolved.

"We have evidence that India is meddling in Afghanistan, no doubt," he said. "But I'm a believer that if the conditions in the four walls of your own house are stable, nobody from outside will try to enter. We give India the opportunity."

Pakistan poised to launch military action against Taliban | World news | theguardian.com

Lol@ "if they continue".

They happen nearly every day you idiot. This is the defence minister of Pakistan...:disagree:

Lol@ "if they continue".

They happen nearly every day you idiot. This is the defence minister of Pakistan...:disagree:
its called " jaat daa kharak" in punjabi?lolzz
thts all are the policy of noori league, i mean stick & carrot?
but they forgot, they them selves could be the victims some day?

its called " jaat daa kharak" in punjabi?lolzz
thts all are the policy of noori league, i mean stick & carrot?
but they forgot, they them selves could be the victims some day?

You mean "Kusra" league bro. They have no right to use the PML name now.

forget it man ..... as long as Pakistan is going to make difference between these kind of terrorists attacks nothing is going to be done.

You mean "Kusra" league bro. They have no right to use the PML name now.
appney tu dill ki baat kar di, uncle jee
SAAB DRAMA HAI, ANDAR SEY SAAB MILEY HAIN TTp sey?

Beh shak, bhai jaan.

Yaar uncle? Meri umar 37 hai lol.
yeh isshaq hey jani, 37 hoo yeh 47, saaab chaltaa hai?lolzz
my love is pakistan, peoples almost calling me crazy, but i love pakistan frist?right
bhai jee uncle tu piyar mien bolaa hai yar?
yeh TTp, PTI, JI, JUI, PMLn saab kaa aik hi matlaab hai, pakistan ko talibanistan banana hai?

yeh isshaq hey jani, 37 hoo yeh 47, saaab chaltaa hai?lolzz
my love is pakistan, peoples almost calling me crazy, but i love pakistan frist?right
bhai jee uncle tu piyar mien bolaa hai yar?
yeh TTp, PTI, JI, JUI, PMLn saab kaa aik hi matlaab hai, pakistan ko talibanistan banana hai?

Beh Shak.

What do you get from it ? @Armstrong

I dunno; maybe we've finally sobered up in a way & we're doing the same thing that the TTP has been doing which is 'Peace ka khair-makdum' followed by a few blasts here & there ! :unsure:

So maybe we've borrowed a page from their own book & we're doing 'Give Peace a Chance' followed by a few air-strikes at designated targets if the TTP doesn't stop or isn't amenable to stopping their sh*t through 'talks' !

I dunno; maybe we've finally sobered up in a way & we're doing the same thing that the TTP has been doing which is 'Peace ka khair-makdum' followed by a few blasts here & there ! :unsure:

So maybe we've borrowed a page from their own book & we're doing 'Give Peace a Chance' followed by a few air-strikes at designated targets if the TTP doesn't stop or isn't amenable to stopping their sh*t through 'talks' !

So , nothing sinister for the Taliban ? No indications that the negotiations have reached their logical end ? Actually that is what I think is happening , the Govt is slowly finding out ( no sarcasm intended ) that the ceasefire is a drama and demands are unacceptable and the situation is worsening in the country . Hence , we are going to war in March .

So , nothing sinister for the Taliban ? No indications that the negotiations have reached their logical end ? Actually that is what I think is happening , the Govt is slowly finding out ( no sarcasm intended ) that the ceasefire is a drama and demands are unacceptable and the situation is worsening in the country . Hence , we are going to war in March .

I think the Government is doing Drama in turn (which is good) & saying 'Ceasefire', 'Negotiations' & 'Peace-Talks' on one hand & 'Air Strikes', 'Intelligence-Led Operations' & a possible 'NW Operation being prepared for' on the other hand - It can't get any better than this that the Government herself has learned that the TTP say 'Peace' in the morning & 'Suicide Bombing' in the evening & so they're giving them a taste of their own two-faced medicine ! :)

Am I correct to surmise that @Icarus ? :unsure:

"It will not take months now. We'll have to march in the month of March"
So all the Talibs have to do is wait three weeks to be certain there won't be any Pakistani military offensive against them? Really?

The military is ready for an all out strike, its all a matter of political will, Takla is probably hesitant in taking on the Taliban for fear of retaliation against him.....

Back
Top Bottom