Pakistan
Pakistan plays down US commander’s remarks
By Tahir Khan
Published: February 11, 2017
39SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1323177-afp-1486784938-165-640x480.jpg

Lieutenant General John Nicholson. PHOTO: AFP

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani officials on Friday played down remarks by the top US commander in Afghanistan who urged the new administration for a ‘holistic review’ of America’s relationship with Pakistan.

General John Nicholson told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday that Taliban fighters and the Taliban-aligned Haqqani network continued to find sanctuary across the border in Pakistan’s tribal areas, The Washington Times reported.

Gen Nicholson calls on COAS, appreciates army’s fight against terror

“We need to do a holistic review of our Pakistan policy,” said the US commander, adding that more American troops were needed to break the ‘stalemate’.

Pakistan avoided issuing any official comment but a senior official said there was nothing new or significant in Gen Nicholson’s statement. However, he said that the remarks reflected the American military’s “frustration over security challenges they are facing in Afghanistan”.

“There would be negative and positive statements coming out of Washington as Indian and Afghan lobbies are also active (there). But the … messages we have received by the Trump administration are positive,” the official told The Express Tribune.

He also referred to the Thursday’s telephonic conversation between the US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis and Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa and said that Americans “acknowledge Pakistan’s sacrifices”.

“They (the Americans) realised our importance and relevance. They also realise that negative statements can spoil the (friendly) atmosphere,” said the official, who requested not to be identified.

According to him, the US was focusing on Da’esh, adding that this organisation had no organised presence in Pakistan and operated from Afghanistan.

“Pakistan is ready to cooperate with the United Sates to counter the emerging threat of Daesh in Afghanistan,” the official said.

“So far there is no major negative vibration from there (the US),” he said.

9/11 mastermind tells Obama attacks were America’s fault

When asked if Pakistan expected any major change in the US policy on Afghanistan under President Trump, he said that priorities of the new administration were unclear at the moment.

“The US has not yet unveiled its policy whether or not they will send in more troops or go for reconciliation in Afghanistan. I think they have not made up their minds about what to do,” he said.

He pointed out that some people in the new administration had Afghan experience, including Jim Mattis, and “I think they are waiting for Trump’s decision.”

Jim Mattis had once served as the Head of the Central Command that also oversaw wars in Afghanistan.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 11th, 2017.

These Americunts talk one thing here & another after returning. What should we call that? Backstabbing.

Actually Pakistan is very reactive and the reason is the aid. I hope we get sanctions put on us especially military and then we can tell the yanks fix Afghanistan and you are funding and training the terrorists. Behind every conflict on.the planet is American money and weapons.

Pakistan should not poke their nose anymore in Afghanistan, its none of our concern, Pakistan has done more than its share on the side of the border to weed out the terrorists, USA should clear the mess for which they have created themselves.

One person says something else another says the complete opposite the Americans are going mad lol

when they are in service they say thing to save their behind, after all US would have conquered the world if it wasnt for Pakistan....wait for him to retire and then he will start speaking the truth.

These Americunts talk one thing here & another after returning. What should we call that? Backstabbing.
Diplomacy.
in simple words hypocrisy
Backstabbing is always a part of their policy specially when it comes to Pakistan.
The amaircans are not in a position to control situation in Afghanistan.
So basically its their frustration.

American Gen sounds like : Har Zulum tera yaad hai ,bhulaa tu nahin hun .... Mai doob rahaa hun abhi dooba tu nahin hun :omghaha:

“We need to do a holistic review of our Pakistan policy,” said the US commander, adding that more American troops were needed to break the ‘stalemate’.

One can read into this statement multiple ways, I suppose, but, to me, it sounds like the general wants a reset in Pakistan-US relations, specifically Afghanistan, from top to bottom.

I just think US is treading water regarding Afghanistan. Whatever issues US has with Pakistan, and there are issues, the main problem is Afghanistan itself. It has lost how much territory to the Taliban? The US-trained and equipped ANA is not getting the job done. Until this issue is fixed, nothing will move forward.

One can read into this statement multiple ways, I suppose, but, to me, it sounds like the general wants a reset in Pakistan-US relations, specifically Afghanistan, from top to bottom.

I just think US is treading water regarding Afghanistan. Whatever issues US has with Pakistan, and there are issues, the main problem is Afghanistan itself. It has lost how much territory to the Taliban? The US-trained and equipped ANA is not getting the job done. Until this issue is fixed, nothing will move forward.

Americans have done a piss poor job of building ANA

Someone should station him on a Pakistani check post and offer no help when there is attack from terrorist on Afghan side..

Back
Top Bottom