What's new

Pakistan-origin Unicorns

how many billion dollar makers from Pakistani, not Pakistani origin I mean in Pakistan

how many billion dollar makers from Pakistani, not Pakistani origin I mean in Pakistan

You’re focusing on the wrong things. Did you read the article that I posted in the first page? Almost all the companies listed have strong presence in Pakistan, and some like Careem and Zameen were initially developed in Pakistan before they become big. Pakistani startups are on the verge of a major growth in the next couple years. There are number of Pakistani startups in the hundreds of millions of dollars valuation, it’s just a matter of time before they hit big. Daraz was bought by Alibabab for $450-500 million, If Daraz wasn’t sold so early, it could have been a unicorn by now. A strong startup culture is developing in Pakistan and the future trend looks exceptionally promising. What’s more important most of these companies will be HQed in Pakistan.

Zameen originated in Pakistan. All the companies listed except Cavium have a strong presence in Pakistan.
Yes know about zameen....
Presense doesn't count.... Pakistan is tth largest nation on earth, there will be many more presences in comming years. The revenue is still going to board of directors nome of whom is based in pakistan or a pakistani.

All of them should be invited to open research and business center in Pakistan
Not really.
Pakistani only works and behaves at his best when abroad.
In Pakistan they are at their worst .
Many Pakistani who moved business to Pakistan, only underpay staff while verbally abusing them.

Keep trucking is a prime example.

Their business is about fitting tachometers in trucks and keep records of driving hours , vehicle location and miles traveled.
The main business is generated by call centres located in Pakistan.
The Pakistani call center agents make calls to US and Canadian truck owners and convince them for buying the tachometer service from "Keep trucking" .
And the boys and girls at the call center did a great job.
Initially they gave fair amount of bonuses to those who generated business , on top of wages. That was great incentive for the young boys and girls who did even better after each bonus.
But as business grew, so did the greed of the bosses and under appreciation for the very people who made them who they are.
Bonuses fell for the call center staff and now nobody is interested in generating business for them.
People join their call center , don't bother much as it's not worth it, and move on to another job or linger on until sacked.

Last edited:
One day you'll see my startup also listed here. :angel:

Good luck!

Agreed. I'm less concerned about them even being educated or raised in America, but the point is, it was America's environment that mattered most. In Pakistan, you must deal with everything from corruption to outright incompetence and negligence (at the bureaucratic level).

The simplest way to start addressing this is to set-up a SEZ for Pakistanis with minimal/streamlined start-up processes and a flat-rate tax structure. However, no other fees, no other drama, nothing. Heck, the gov't might want to waive all tax for at least the first few years a business enters the country, and in critical industries, maybe foot the capital too. It'll seem like a lot of concessions, but that's the cost of 50+ years of corruption. You're not going to instill domestic investor confidence otherwise.

This has been discussed for so long...but nothing is done. I smell something and it aint a nice smell at all.

Its still too much "who you know" rather than "what you know".

Unicorns are startups with valuations above $1 billions. I will try to list some of the Pakistani-origin startups that are classified as unicorns

Cavium: Founded by Pakistani-American Raghib Husain designs and manufactures semiconductors. It was acquired by Marvell for $6.1 Billion

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1305...of-cavium-gets-cpu-networking-security-assets

Careem: A ride hailing startup founded by Pakistani-American that was acquired by Uber for $3.1Billion
https://www.uber.com/newsroom/uber-careem/

Afiniti: Founded by Pakistani-American it’s data and software company. It’s valued at 1.6-Billion

https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/14/sales-ai-company-afiniti-raises-1-6-billion-files-for-ipo/

Zameen/EMPG: Pakistani real estate company valued at over $1 Billion https://www.menabytes.com/empg-olx-150-million/

KeepTruckin: A fleet management company founded by Pakistani-American. It’s valued at $1.4 Billion https://news.crunchbase.com/news/keeptruckin-drives-in-149m-series-d-taking-valuation-to-1-4b/
had no idea zameendotcom was 1 Billion, are you sure?

Good luck!

This has been discussed for so long...but nothing is done. I smell something and it aint a nice smell at all.

Its still too much "who you know" rather than "what you know".
The problem with Pakistan is that is that it's run more like a shifty uncle/aunty restaurant or desi store and less of a country. In other words, it's tattered and misused day in and day out. That's why no real change will come, not until (to be frank) the upper crust changes root and stem.

The problem with Pakistan is that is that it's run more like a shifty uncle/aunty restaurant or desi store and less of a country. In other words, it's tattered and misused day in and day out. That's why no real change will come, not until (to be frank) the upper crust changes root and stem.

I think the IT industry will be the game changer. The old guard are unable to touch it and don't understand it. They can't taint it.

I am still waiting for someone to list Pakistani born Pakistani made billionaires ? is there any>

I am still waiting for someone to list Pakistani born Pakistani made billionaires ? is there any>

Most of your politicians lol

What are your thoughts on this amendment

https://www.dawn.com/news/1554499/p...ments-to-companies-law-to-facilitate-startups

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom