What's new

Pakistan Navy planning to buy 30 JF-17 Thunder Block-II.

Did I question the need to give the Thunder a maritime role? No, I am questioning the need to give this operational, training, logistical and maintenance burden on an already under funded force.

It hasn't been decided yet, as if the concerned authorities don't know that more funding would be needed.....

It hasn't been decided yet, as if the concerned authorities don't know that more funding would be needed.....
Well that's the crux of the matter, isn't it? Is the PA willing to give the PN a fairer share of the pie? I have no doubt the case is being made for this behind the scenes by the professionals in the PN.

Mirage-V are under the command of PAF not under PN, and for me its an interesting move because we know that its PAF which maintain the 'supportive infrastructure' for JF-17 so JF-17 under PAF command for naval role make more sense as per the existing arrangements and past experience & we also know that JF-17 jets was intended to replace Mirage jets under PAF

'If' PN is acquiring these jets separately from PAF, then it indicates
  • Additional order of JF-17 (150-250 for PAF & ~ 50 for PN)
  • Timeframe of JF-17 induction in PN would be b/w 2015-2020.
  • The 'Independent Aerial Defense' for PN will require separate supportive infrastructure in 'SOUTH' as currently all PAF supportive & maintenance infrastructure of JF-17 is at the 'NORTH' of the country (though at initial stages PAF infracture could be utilized)
  • Decrease of maritime defense responsibilities of PAF, but then what would be the 'new role' of PAF in maritime defense.
  • Which further means the early retirement of the Mirage-V jets
  • I believe maritime squadron of Mirages Jets are ROSE upgraded, so would PAF use these Mirage Jets for other than a maritime role or not.
Some very valid points raised there, just what I was alluding to.

Navy getting JF 17 means more squadrons for pak

Air Force means just replacement of old mirages

So in effect total no. Of squadrons are raised

Hi,

PN should go for a sqdrn and a half of JH7S and a sqdrn and a half of JF 17's----pak needs some heavies----.

U r right.the newspaper doesnt say that JFT is 5th gen,it says along with JFT,navy may get 5th gen jets

May b its not ``in tayaron`` but is ``un tayaron`` referring to THOSE(un) jets that can not b seen on the radar.i.e5th gen
It is most probably the J-31 that is being tested for a naval role in China. Or that special coating will be applied to the JF-17 plus some conformal fuel tanks and weapon pods, this is all feasible.

All you Pakistani kids are trying to-----mootar whichun machian pharnian----trying to catch fish in piss----. My god----how helplessly desperate and deprived you guys are.

PN should be only thinking how to get more submarines and somehow take the number to somewhere around 15 and leave the skies for PAF, they can provide all the support PN wants. Btw when will we get Yuan class submarines from China?

Bhai, just out of curiosity. What if we could lease out Liaoning when PLAN no longer needs it for training. Hypothetically, would it be possible to deploy a Naval variant of JF-17 on it ?

Could be(although there is NO need for it), but any JF-17N would need to have seriously strengthened gears, a more powerful engine.. and a rather tough training process.

PN should be only thinking how to get more submarines and somehow take the number to somewhere around 15 and leave the skies for PAF, they can provide all the support PN wants. Btw when will we get Yuan class submarines from China?

There is no definite date yet.But according to IHS janes,the deal will most probably be signed till the end of 2014.According to a senior govt official,the details of subs and their weapons r almost done and now only the financial terms r to b decided,IHS quoted.
SO expect a deal of 6 yuan class/S-20 subs with AIP till the end of 2014

Gentlemen,

India is working over a separate version of LCA for the navy and apparently, it is causing lots pain despite LCA for IAF is flying. What are the factors which are causing India this pain and how can Pakistan is doing without it and same PAF JF-17s are hoped and expected to perform Naval roles? Where are we different if we are - or - are we compromising somewhere?

Could be(although there is NO need for it), but any JF-17N would need to have seriously strengthened gears, a more powerful engine.. and a rather tough training process.
Nawaz is going to China any chance off major defence deals being singed ?

Gentlemen,

India is working over a separate version of LCA for the navy and apparently, it is causing lots pain despite LCA for IAF is flying. What are the factors which are causing India this pain and how can Pakistan is doing without it and same PAF JF-17s are hoped and expected to perform Naval roles? Where are we different if we are - or - are we compromising somewhere?

What is being said on this forum in varous posts regarding JF17 it is evident that PAF while developing this aircraft tought of a naval variant that is the reason for having carrier killer weapons. The role from air to ground and air to see is the same ie target an object that is at ground level. JF17 will be landing on normal airports so it does not require LCA type of modifications.

What the LCA is being made to do is to land on an aircraft carrier where the landing distance is very short so they have to change the structral strength of the under carrage along with the ability to have a hook that will stop it along with other modifications.

Asalam - O - Alikum
In Dunya newspaper today. Also mention of possible approval of 5th Gen fighter.

x1363964_20949742.jpg

Allah Hafiz
--------------
IMO If this news is true then this means PAF will not be funding 30 JF17's rather that funding will be provided by Pakistan Navy. The Aircraft would be the property of PN but will be maintained by PAF.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom