What's new

Pakistan is the World's Biggest Importer of Used Clothes

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
http://www.riazhaq.com/2018/12/pakistan-is-worlds-biggest-importer-of.html

Back in the winter of 1977 when I made preparations to travel to the United States to attend graduate school, my late mother took me to Karachi's "Landa Bazar" to help me pick out imported extra warm second hand clothing. The purchased item appeared to be brand new, especially after dry-cleaning. I would not have survived my first months in New York without the winter coats and jackets and accessories like caps, gloves and boots bought in Karachi, Pakistan. A recent look at the Statista stats portal's 2017 data revealed that Pakistan imported $240 million worth of used clothing making it the world's largest importer in this category.

Landa Bazars in Pakistan:

A Pakistani newspaper headline last week screamed "Sale Of Second Hand Warm Clothes Picks Up In Landa Bazars Hyderabad". Landa Bazars is the name of "flea markets" that specialize in selling used clothes and they do brisk business at the start of each winter. These markets are found in all major cities and cater to middle-class and poor customers looking for moderately priced warm clothing for a couple of weeks of cold weather. Pakistan has a huge domestic textile industry that meets the needs of the people with relatively cotton clothing for the rest of the year. Pakistan is also a big exporter of ready made garments.

Top Importers of Secondhand Clothing. Source: Statista

The second hand clothing that I used in my first few months in the United States in the winter of 1977-78 was purchased at Karachi's Landa Bazar. The purchased item appeared to be brand new, especially after dry-cleaning. In the next winter season when a new batch of Indian and Pakistani students came to the campus, I passed these on to those who came unprepared my heavy winter coat and jacket.

Landa Bazar (Flea Market) in Pakistan

Second Hand Clothing Trade:

Used clothing exports added up to $3.67 billion in 2016, according to MIT's Observatory of Economic Complexity (OEC).

The top exporters of Used Clothing included the United States ($648M), Germany ($371M), the United Kingdom ($348M), China ($219M) and South Korea ($214M). The top importers in 2016 were Pakistan ($206M), Ukraine ($166M), Kenya ($131M), Malaysia ($129M) and Ghana ($126M).

Second Hand Clothing in United States:

Americans donate used clothes, including slightly used clothes hanging in their closets, to charities such as Goodwill and Salvation Army. These donations pick up during holidays when people clear out their closets to make room for new purchases. American tax law encourages such charitable donation which are tax-deductible. Some of these used clothes are sold by charities at stores like Goodwill stores and Salvation Army thrift stores and the rest are exported.

America's secondhand clothing business has been export-oriented since the introduction of mass-produced garments. And by one estimate, used clothing is now the United States’ number one export by volume, according to Slate.com.

Summary:

Global trade of secondhand clothing is near $4 billion a year. United States in the biggest exporter and Pakistan is the biggest importer of used clothing. The second hand clothing that I used in my first few months in the United States in the winter of 1977-78 was purchased at Karachi's Landa Bazar. The purchased item appeared to be brand new, especially after dry-cleaning. In the next winter season when a new batch of Indian and Pakistani students came to the campus, I passed these on to those who came unprepared my heavy winter coat and jacket. Landa Bazars is the name of "flea markets" that specialize in selling used clothes and they do brisk business at the start of each winter. These markets are found in all major cities and cater to middle-class and poor customers looking for moderately priced warm clothing for a couple of weeks of cold weather. Pakistan has a huge domestic textile industry that meets the needs of the people with relatively cotton clothing for the rest of the year.

Related Links:

Haq's Musings

South Asia Investor Review

Textile Industry in India and Pakistan

Pakistan Fashion Industry

Demand for International Brands in Pakistan

Remembering My Mother Rafiqa Khatoon

Karachi Getting Safer?

Pakistan Consumer Confidence at All-Time High

Back in the winter of 1977 when I made preparations to travel to the United States to attend graduate school, my late mother took me to Karachi's "Landa Bazar" to help me pick out imported extra warm second hand clothing. The purchased item appeared to be brand new, especially after dry-cleaning. I would not have survived my first months in New York without the winter coats and jackets and accessories like caps, gloves and boots bought in Karachi, Pakistan. A recent look at the Statista stats portal's 2017 data revealed that Pakistan imported $240 million worth of used clothing making it the world's largest importer in this category.

A Pakistani newspaper headline last week screamed "Sale Of Second Hand Warm Clothes Picks Up In Landa Bazars Hyderabad". Landa Bazars is the name of "flea markets" that specialize in selling used clothes and they do brisk business at the start of each winter. These markets are found in all major cities and cater to middle-class and poor customers looking for moderately priced warm clothing for a couple of weeks of cold weather. Pakistan has a huge domestic textile industry that meets the needs of the people with relatively cotton clothing for the rest of the year. Pakistan is also a big exporter of ready made garments.

The second hand clothing that I used in my first few months in the United States in the winter of 1977-78 was purchased at Karachi's Landa Bazar. The purchased item appeared to be brand new, especially after dry-cleaning. In the next winter season when a new batch of Indian and Pakistani students came to the campus, I passed these on to those who came unprepared my heavy winter coat and jacket.

Used clothing exports added up to $3.67 billion in 2016, according to MIT's Observatory of Economic Complexity (OEC).

The top exporters of Used Clothing included the United States ($648M), Germany ($371M), the United Kingdom ($348M), China ($219M) and South Korea ($214M). The top importers in 2016 were Pakistan ($206M), Ukraine ($166M), Kenya ($131M), Malaysia ($129M) and Ghana ($126M).

Americans donate used clothes, including slightly used clothes hanging in their closets, to charities such as Goodwill and Salvation Army. These donations pick up during holidays when people clear out their closets to make room for new purchases. American tax law encourages such charitable donation which are tax-deductible. Some of these used clothes are sold by charities at stores like Goodwill stores and Salvation Army thrift stores and the rest are exported.

America's secondhand clothing business has been export-oriented since the introduction of mass-produced garments. And by one estimate, used clothing is now the United States’ number one export by volume, according to Slate.com.

Summary:

Global trade of secondhand clothing is near $4 billion a year. United States in the biggest exporter and Pakistan is the biggest importer of used clothing. The second hand clothing that I used in my first few months in the United States in the winter of 1977-78 was purchased at Karachi's Landa Bazar. The purchased item appeared to be brand new, especially after dry-cleaning. In the next winter season when a new batch of Indian and Pakistani students came to the campus, I passed these on to those who came unprepared my heavy winter coat and jacket. Landa Bazars is the name of "flea markets" that specialize in selling used clothes and they do brisk business at the start of each winter. These markets are found in all major cities and cater to middle-class and poor customers looking for moderately priced warm clothing for a couple of weeks of cold weather. Pakistan has a huge domestic textile industry that meets the needs of the people with relatively cotton clothing for the rest of the year.

Related Links:

Haq's Musings

Karachi Getting Safer?

Interesting reading! even Russia Malaysia import seconds hand clothes that's surprised me.

We have to do a better job at providing for our poor.

Landa actually caters the needs of from Poor-Poor to Upper-Middle class in Pakistan (Excluding Upper-Upper: only exception!). Previous week I visited a shopping mall, and found the coat @ 12,600/ Rupees. In comparison, at Landa Bazar you can find best stuff at just Rs. 600/.

Landa Bazaar is a great boon! ;););)

Back in the winter of 1977 when I made preparations to travel to the United States to attend graduate school, my late mother took me to Karachi's "Landa Bazar" to help me pick out imported extra warm second hand clothing.

You could afford to travel to the US and pay for an education there but could not afford to buy new clothes?

its not only imported to be sold in local market most of the containers imported are sorted/graded packed into smaller bales and re exported to africa its a huge and profitable trade.

Why can't the Africans do that themselves?

Why can't the Africans do that themselves?
lack of proper infrastructure i guess.i cant say why africans are not it themselves or they must be doing it but usa is the largest exporter of rags in the world they also sort/grade it in usa and export to africa.

Summary:

Related Links:

Haq's Musings

Karachi Getting Safer?

it is a good job recycling. people do not understand how much energy is wasted throwing away used clothing

lack of proper infrastructure i guess.i cant say why africans are not it themselves or they must be doing it but usa is the largest exporter of rags in the world they also sort/grade it in usa and export to africa.

What I meant was that you're making it up. They have no need to rely on Pakistanis to sort through used clothes for them. They can import them directly and sort through them on their own.

Don't be mistaken, I heard Junaid Salem mentioning that Pakistan is also one of the biggest exporters of used cloths in the world. Some dudes have learned to import, sort and then export used cloth to other countries in the world.

What I meant was that you're making it up. They have no need to rely on Pakistanis to sort through used clothes for them. They can import them directly and sort through them on their own.
lols no i am not making shit up i know many who are sorting and exporting to africa.its done mainly in karachi and if you ever come to khi kindly visit Export promotion zone ull find many factories grading used clothing for africa there.

i also import Pakistan grade used clothing from uk and europe but right now because of fked up dollar rate i am not doing it.these sorting factoring dont import Pakistan grade they import mixed rags from us,europe,uk and korea and sort them into different grade mainly 3 grades africa,Pakistan and cutting.

Landa actually caters the needs of from Poor-Poor to Upper-Middle class in Pakistan (Excluding Upper-Upper: only exception!). Previous week I visited a shopping mall, and found the coat @ 12,600/ Rupees. In comparison, at Landa Bazar you can find best stuff at just Rs. 600/.

Landa Bazaar is a great boon! ;););)
I am working with a millionaire right now.he told that he bought wool sweaters from landa for 400 rupees.
He didn't told his wife about it.she believed they are expansive.

Don't be mistaken, I heard Junaid Salem mentioning that Pakistan is also one of the biggest exporters of used cloths in the world. Some dudes have learned to import, sort and then export used cloth to other countries in the world.

where do we export used shalwar kameez to--------------japan? .... pakistan only imports lol

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom