What's new

Pakistan is really a Banana republic ?

Real estate, Huge retail, wholesale, distribution, supply, dairy, agriculture, tourism, movie production, music industry, actors, medical industry etc. Except for registered companies, firms, Salaried class ... most of other trades are not registered nor they file their tax returns.

The problem is and remains that Pakistan has a very sophisticated online tax filing system, but the taxman and the tax payer are not educated enough to use and implement it properly to get the maximum benefit from it.

Middle finger to your opium and prostitution guesses, I am sure you hardly know anything about what BayNami is in Pakistan.

The reason Pakistan relies heavily on indirect taxation and withholding of income tax.

Tax evasion != Undocumented economy

The agriculture & dairy output is known unless you are claiming there is production outside of official numbers. Ditto for the number of tourists. The movie industry is fixed in terms of number of movie tickets sold.

for years construction industry to the motor industry are all undocumented ... a main source of income to buy tangible to fixed products is unknown... and lots of other trades .. sugar mafia and the list goes on....both opium and prostitution should be taxed like US and Canada. What do you think ?

the production of sugar is known. tax evasion != undocumented economy

Great era of Chief Justice Bandyal Sahib:
Silence on the violation of human rights openly in the country,
Silence on the assassination attack on the former prime minister.
Shut up on stripping senators.
Silence on making videos of husband and wife in Supreme Court lodges,
And today, PTI MPs were not allowed to enter the Supreme Court to submit a petition. ..
Aren't these cases that should be tried in provincial courts? Usually, law and order is a state subject. Supreme court usually handles Federal and Constitutional cases. What is Federal or Constitutional in an assassination attempt? It may be political but not Federal or Constitutional. Supposedly, it happened in a province that has his own party in power. Why should IK expect to be treated better by prosecutors of a government that is of opposite party (with which he has a conflict) than prosecutors of a government of his own party?

The agriculture & dairy output is known unless you are claiming there is production outside of official numbers. Ditto for the number of tourists. The movie industry is fixed in terms of number of movie tickets sold.

the production of sugar is known. tax evasion != undocumented economy

Undocumented economy can be clearly predicted by doing economic census. Before Indonesian Finance Ministry stated in 2017 that our micro, small, and medium size companies contribute 60.6 percent of our GDP, they made the economic census before, I still remember they ask how many employee you have, how much is the revenues per month. Most of the Indonesian MSME business are not formal (not covereged by tax system YET).

Just about 2 weeks ago there was another census and they ask about how much the spending per month (household), how many member in family, stuff like that

After the census and the knowledge that 60.6 percent of Indonesian GDP is contributed by MSME where most of the business are not documented in 2017, I see no correction of Indonesian GDP, they still calculate the GDP as usual with 5 % economic growth. Despite so Indonesian government does acknowledge there is around 40 % economic activity is not counted.

If they add actual GDP figure, I assume there will be higher GDP percapita and this can make labor union put more pressure to government to raise salary. Or bigger GDP number will make tax ratio smaller so it makes the finance Ministry performance not look good. Just my speculation on the way our economic team thinking.

While in Vietnam there was big GDP correction in 2020 due to better calculation system. The reason Vietnam government raise their GDP is because Covid time. They have limitation on their debt to GDP ratio based on their law, but due to Covid time they dont have any option beside raising the budget deficit. By putting their GDP into correct calculation, their debt to GDP ratio will be reduced so they can have bigger budget deficit and raise more debt.

So look like government economist prefers to have downgraded GDP number, they are likely to correct it if they dont have any option left (Vietnam as example). And the other reasonto not correct the GDP is maybe because they prefer to calculate GDP based on data that can be processed by their calculating system (Not prediction) to make the data more accountable.

Last edited:
Yes ! only good for this.....

1668457697875.png

These politiins have every right to do so if public keep sleeping and not standing for the rights if you can't stand for rights don't complain no one will offer you free lunches

Not filing your tax returns is not disclosing your income, your sources of income, your business, your wealth, your bills, your expenses. I am not talking about only individuals doing this.

It is not some absolute tax evasion, because Pakistan is heavily reliant on indirect taxation and withholding of taxes at source, taxing the expenses etc. This is more about having assets beyond your means and concealing your sources of income etc.

I am not saying that this is the only way of documenting an economy, but it is a very near to accurate source of information actually.

Not filing your tax returns is not disclosing your income, your sources of income, your business, your wealth, your bills, your expenses. I am not talking about only individuals doing this.

It is not some absolute tax evasion, because Pakistan is heavily reliant on indirect taxation and withholding of taxes at source, taxing the expenses etc. This is more about having assets beyond your means and concealing your sources of income etc.

I am not saying that this is the only way of documenting an economy, but it is a very near to accurate source of information actually.

I realize this is endemic not only for individuals but for well established companies & businesses. Is this any different from India or numerous emerging markets ?

this does not increase the size of the economy

PTI is still unable to file an FIR after attempted assassination. Pass 7 days. Arshad Sharif's mother begging for her son's postmortem report. Govt gave pictures to Kamran Shahid, but the family has no access.
COAS selection in UK Avensfiled apartments.
Extreme lawlessness from the police stations to superior courts.
Toothless PM of Pakistan.
NRO 1 and then NRO 2.
The Republic of Banana, was originally intended to be the home land of the muslims of India and the legacy of the muslims of India.

So is showbaz still hiding in uk?
Whsts the new topi drama for awam now?

Pakistan was always a banana republic, it is just now that IK has removed the covers for everyone to see.
There is no going back to the topi drama days of Pak army controlling things behind the scene.

Back
Top Bottom