What's new

Pakistan, Iraq to sign defence cooperation pact

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
pakistan-iraq-to-sign-defence-cooperation-pact-1364159169-1259.jpg

BAGHDAD (INP) - Pakistan and Iraq have agreed in principle to sign an agreement soon to enhance their defence cooperation. Under the agreement, likely to be signed with the installation of new government in Pakistan, Iraq's Armed Forces personnel will be given training by the Pakistani side, said Shah M. Jamal, Pakistan’s Ambassador in Baghdad.
It will also include participation in each other's military exercises and exchange of visits by delegations and war-ships.

The Ambassador told the visiting Pakistani media delegation that they have recently offered to train 35 Iraqi pilots in the PAF Academy Risalpur, in batches of 12 officers per year.
Pakistan and Iraq will also sign soon four other agreements which give will boost to their trade and economic ties, he said, adding, a Ministerial meeting is also expected soon to review and strengthen our partnership.
Ambassador Jamal expressed the hope that relations between the two countries will be moving fast in all areas of mutual interest, with the restoration of peace in Iraq.
They will also sign soon an agreement for establishment of Pakistan Consultation mechanism between the Ministries of Foreign Affairs, he added.
He said he was putting all possible efforts to strengthen bilateral ties, especially enhancing our economic and trade interaction both at private and public level

Pakistan, Iraq to sign defence cooperation pact | The Nation

This is big news, it also means that Iraq can buy up our hardware and weapon systems, Iraq is a potential customer of MFI-Super Mashak,K-8P and the JF-17 Thunder.

Iraq can prove to be a goldmine for Pakistani military industry and services, Iraq is in need of 1000s of High/medium tech tanks which means its a potential market for AK-I/II. We also as a friend of Iraq have an obligation to help build their defenses. We also should offer to train their Army officers at PMA and their Spec ops at Cherat.
@nabil_05

Last edited by a moderator:
This is big news, it also means that Iraq can buy up our hardware and weapon systems. Iraq can prove to be a goldmine for Pakistani military industry and services, we also as a friend of Iraq have an obligation to help build their defenses. We also should offer to train their Army officers at PMA and their Spec ops at Cherat.

Hope tht happens.
@Alshawi1234 Ur comments will be helpful..

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news. I wonder what types of aircrafts they are training for. Pakistani pilots are known for skills and they even operate in a few of the gulf air forces.
It would be great if it is f-16 pilots. About 360 Iraqi F-16 Maintenance crews are already training in Jordan and pilots in the USA. training pilots in Pakistan would probably cost much less, and it's easier to to get along since the cultures are much closer.

I doubt Iraq will go as far as buying heavy military equipment such as tanks or fighter jets since they already purchased and have their eyes on western and Russian arms. But light arms, and training is certainly a good Idea. Iraq has received training offers from both Iran and Turkey but refused in order to keep neutral. Since the gulf don't have the best relations with Iraq (in fact they are also getting pakistani officers to train their own troops) Iraq won't have military cooperation with them soon at least in the short term.

cooperation with Jordan, Egypt, Pakistan and even Algeria is much better for a neutral Iraq. Stay away from Both Iran and the Gulf states. As well as the European and American Officers which are already training the Iraqi forces. There is a high probably of greater cooperation though in both bussiness and military.

Great news. I wonder what types of aircrafts they are training for.

MFI-17 Super Mashak -----> K-8P ------> FT-5--------F-7?

Pakistani pilots are known for skills and they even operate in a few of the gulf air forces.

I, don't know about skills, however i do know for a fact that they are known for kicking A5S [Most combat experienced air force in the Muslim world] :D

It would be great if it is f-16 pilots.

That will not be needed, until IQAF gets its vipers, more experianced pilots will fly them. Pakistan then can help train these boys who by then would have the hours needed to sit in a viper. In PAF the basic requirement for flying the F-16 is between 250-500 hours on F-7/Mirage III/V.

About 360 F-16 Maintenance crews are already training in Jordan and plots in the USA.

They will be the first batch to operate the new F-16s.

training pilots in Pakistan would probably cost much less, and it's easier to to get along since the cultures are somewhat similar.

If, you be nice to us, we may even allow Iraqi pilots to graduate from the prestigious CCS :P

http://www.pakdef.info/pids/paf/topgun.html

All things aside, i will love to see the Jf-17s in service with the new Iraqi air force, they will have unrestricted supply of spares,services,training and weapons. :)

Great news. I wonder what types of aircrafts they are training for. Pakistani pilots are known for skills and they even operate in a few of the gulf air forces.
It would be great if it is f-16 pilots. About 360 Iraqi F-16 Maintenance crews are already training in Jordan and pilots in the USA. training pilots in Pakistan would probably cost much less, and it's easier to to get along since the cultures are much closer.

I doubt Iraq will go as far as buying heavy military equipment such as tanks or fighter jets since they already purchased and have their eyes on western and Russian arms. But light arms, and training is certainly a good Idea. Iraq has received training offers from both Iran and Turkey but refused in order to keep neutral. Since the gulf don't have the best relations with Iraq (in fact they are also getting pakistani officers to train their own troops) Iraq won't have military cooperation with them soon at least in the short term.

cooperation with Jordan, Egypt, Pakistan and even Algeria is much better for a neutral Iraq. Stay away from Both Iran and the Gulf states. As well as the European and American Officers which are already training the Iraqi forces. There is a high probably of greater cooperation though in both bussiness and military.

We already sold a substantial amount of weaponry and armor to Iraq.

http://www.janes.com/regional_news/africa_middle_east/news/jdw/jdw050729_1_n.shtml

I, do believe that in the longer term, Iraq will become a partner in the JF-17 program as the US will under no circumstances transfer A grade tech for their F-16s to Iraq and may provide AIM-120Charlie's with "restricted access". It will create a vaccume similar to that Egypt suffers from, having a huge number of F-16s but no BVRs to carry. JF-17s offers a fix for that gap, as Pakistan will ensure unrestricted BVR and other smart weapon systems to be supplied to Iraq/Egypt Etc.

Moreover the future IQAF will comprise of High end F-16s, a medium tech solution ie JF-17s and perhaps a future air craft T-50?
As for Tanks, i don't think Iraq is able to field a substantial number of highly overpriced and restricted abrams. That will leave space for tanks like Al-khalid 1/II and T-90S, competetion is always good!

So i am hopeful :)

This is big news, it also means that Iraq can buy up our hardware and weapon systems, Iraq is a potential customer of MFI-Super Mashak,K-8P and the JF-17 Thunder.

Not to be disrespectful here, but the article or Iraqies are stating military training only and not mentioning of any hardware purchases.......

Not to be disrespectful here, but the article or Iraqies are stating military training only and not mentioning of any hardware purchases.......

The above is my own opinion.

Pakistan should expand co-op with iraq, Iran, CAR and Turkey
to counter balance GCC influence!

Fail!--- why do so when we can co-op with Iran,Iraq,Turkey,Syria+GCC, its about diplomacy and a very very likely prospect.

In long term GCC and Pakistan political interests will fracture as a result Pakistan should prepare in advance!

There is always a backup, provided the govt and strategic thinking is present. GCC will always need Pakistan on its side, and the relationship is unlikely to hit rock bottom.

There is always a backup, provided the govt and strategic thinking is present. GCC will always need Pakistan on its side, and the relationship is unlikely to hit rock bottom.

Wrong assessment - this is the perception GCC has built up and Pakistani's are fool to fall for it.

I highly doubt that statement!!!!!!!!!!!

Since, India is one of the major players in this arena, and accounts for : supply nearly two-thirds of India’s energy needs and host almost four million Indians who contribute to the region’s economic development. There is also little dispute about the importance to the Indian economy of remittances sent by Indian expatriates and of the increasing Indian dependence on Gulf crude oil, which may grow to 91.6 percent by 2020.
GULF Research Center > Research Programs Categories > GCC Foreign Relations Research Program

Iraqs plan was to order about 96 F-16's of different versions as part of its long terms plan.The US provided all the latest technology for the Fighters, but refused to arm Iraq with the AMRAAM missile which the gulf states and Israel have. This has prompted Iraq to search for Russian and European alternatives for its next option. There is news all over the place speaking about MIG's, SU, and even the Eurofighter. But right now it's all talk and I don't expect any official negotiations to start until 2014.

For the tanks Iraq has three main options which were discussed. The Abrams, which Iraq plans to aquire about 650 of, the Korean K2, and the Russia T90. The T 90 was offered to Iraq but it was refused so it is most likely out of the picture. Iraq is trying to attain EDA's from the USA as they cut down their tank divisions. Iraq already got 140 abrams and they were all assigned to their divisions. However Iraq recently ordered 6 Tanks, this is most likely to train new crew for the next batch of 140.

Iraq already has most of its needs filled for basic training for both the army and Air force. So I doubt cooperation it will be low-level training. I was thinking about advanced pilot , large scale battlefield, special units training. And most likely training the Officers in a "train the trainer" approach.

Iraq is looking for something that can compete with F 15's F-18's, euro fighters and other advanced aircrafts. I doubt The JF-17 could compete with the different classes of fighters that the neighboring countries have. The F-16's are an excellent fighter to start with since Iraq will only deal with internal disputes for the time being, they will also take care of anything that Syria and Iran have. Iraq may delay purchases of other fighters and attempt to possibly jump to 5th generation fighters. Russia has shown great tendency to sell advanced weapons unlike the US. But right now there is a lot of pressure against Iraq, each of the superpowers and regional powers are trying to pull Iraq towards their side. John Kerry just arrived to Iraq in attempt to change the stance on Syria. Russian is most likely expecting something in return for Arms deal,

It's a big mess really, no one can expect anything in terms of the Armaments. But Iraq has certainly learned its lesson. Iraq right now is upgrading much of its equipment to be fit for guerrilla warfare. Quantity over quality is not an option after we saw what happened to the old army.

Back
Top Bottom