What's new

Pakistan government to finally clip ISI wings

Paan Singh

BANNED
Reaction score
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari plans to not only disband the political wing of the spy agency but also make it accountable to his country's parliament, reports Amir Mir

In an unprecedented move, the Asif Ali Zardari-led Pakistan People's Party government has decided to clip the wings of the all-powerful Inter-Services Intelligence through parliamentary legislation, which will not only disband the political wing of the spy agency but also make it fully accountable to the elected parliament and the civilian government.

It is for the first time in the 65-year history of Pakistan that a serious effort is being made to streamline the affairs of the ISI, which has always remained under criticism for encroaching upon the authority of the elected governments.

The ISI has always been accused of being actively involved in managing political activity both inside and outside the government and making or breaking political parties and political alliances for well over the past three decades. A 19-page draft of a bill has now been submitted in the upper house of the parliament -- the Senate -- by none other than Farhatullah Babar, the official spokesman of Zardari, which will be taken up during the next session of the house commencing Monday.

The political cell of the ISI has infiltrated into and manipulated Pakistan's politics and other influential areas of social life to such an extent that it seems an uphill task to revert it to its original mandate, to its basic role of just intelligence gathering.

However, the government has decided to tame the country's premier intelligence agency by disbanding its political wing, although a similar effort by the Zardari government had backfired in November 2008, hardly a few days after the PPP had assumed power following the general elections.

Special: Pakistan government to finally clip ISI wings - Rediff.com News

what garbage...no such wing is existing

and even if it did, they aint doing a good job are they? crooks like mr. 10% and the interior minister are still sitting in their kursis - as are the tax evading MNAs

Post a Pakistani source, indian sources are unreliable when it comes to Pakistan

Zardari neither has the authority nor the balls to clip ISI's wings.

If this is not a joke or prank, I really doubt whether the bill ever be passed and become a law in Pakistan. Secondly, even if the current PPP govt. daring to do something is just because they have hardly less than a year time to rule, and they knew they won't be elected rather allowed by the Supreme Court and Army to be elected for next term, therefore, they wanna show the world and perhaps Pakistanis as well that tried to tame the most powerful wing of the army. Still I donot believe something will happen, or even if it becomes a law, nobody will dare questioning the ISI in Pakistan, that including the Pakistani army.

Lol, you're a fool if you think ISI will cease to exist.

I smell a coup coming. But i must salute zardari for his bravery. He is a very shrewd man. He knows how to strike while the iron is hot.

A coup in Pakistan now could result in an American retaliation from across Afghanistan or a very severe international sanction.

This is his golden opportunity. Its now or never---The stuff of legends.

I smell a coup coming. But i must salute zardari for his bravery. He is a very shrewd man. He knows how to strike while the iron is hot.

A coup in Pakistan now could result in an American retaliation from across Afghanistan or a very severe international sanction.

Kerry-Luger bill has a clause to save civilian government in Pakistan, so coup seems impossible.

Salute Zardari for his thievery. Thieves are never brave. Come on!!

lol =)) my dear indian why u dont mind with ur freak in business we are talking about ISI and not some random agency's like raw ISI the worlds no 1 spy agnce if they can deal with cia raw and mossad em preety sure they can deal with Mr 10 % cz isi has nothing 2 do with political parties and zardarii is trying every possible move so army take ours the country cz they just have few months left and so they need some 1 to blame isi is part of army and army knows who to deal....

ISI is the strongest hidden force present in Afghan-Pakistan-Hindustan-Bangladesh-Nepal-Srilanka region ....

Clipping its wing? Yeah right ..:lol:

Without ISI, Pakistan will become a victim of terrorism surrounded by hostile forces being attacked by drones, topping failed state lists and become an international migraine.

Pakistan needs ISI running its affairs without interference from its naive population.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom