What's new

Pakistan film industry fears 70% loss if ties with India worsen

Replace them with Hollywood movies. Trust me, you will like them much better. :D

Replace them with Hollywood movies. Trust me, you will like them much better. :D
14523092_532821910239961_1031345741155732865_n.png.jpg

Just bring in high quality movies from
  • Hollywood
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan/ China
Dub it
There are ample children movies done by Disney each year

No more of this
ifZUXU.gif

There is no need for this stuff Unexplainable mystery
fXXQRYE.gif

Last edited:
Yep Bollywood lost its 4th biggest market

No big deal. We are your enemies, you shouldn't be watching our films. Our cultures are wildly different from one another so while you may be able to understand the words you have no clue about the meaning.

No big deal. We are your enemies, you shouldn't be watching our films. Our cultures are wildly different from one another so while you may be able to understand the words you have no clue about the meaning.

We have no idea of the meaning, plot, or point of those movies. They are almost unwatchable. Good riddance.

We have no idea of the meaning, plot, or point of those movies. They are almost unwatchable. Good riddance.

They are most definitely unwatchable for you lot so please don't watch them. I'm actually shocked you play Indian movies in your country. Does North Korea play South Korean movies? No, so you shouldn't either.

lol i hope they keep ban on indian movies = bye bye to multiplex theatres

They are most definitely unwatchable for you lot so please don't watch them. I'm actually shocked you play Indian movies in your country. Does North Korea play South Korean movies? No, so you shouldn't either.

I live in America...

North Korea, despite being a totalitarian state (unlike Pakistan), does show American movies sometimes. But it tells the people that they are North Korean movies instead. That comparison makes no sense.

But I'm shocked that Pakistan plays them too. The quality of Bollywood movies is so poor by international standards, no one outside of the subcontinent takes them seriously. I hope they impose a full ban in Pakistan eventually. One thing Indians simply can't do right are movies. Leave that to us Americans.

I am happy for this ban but you should keep an eyeout for Indians who try to market Bollywood movies in enemy country

The feeling is a permanent ban on Indian movies will result in theatres, multiplexes shutting down.
Pakistan’s film industry fears it may suffer a 70 per cent business loss if India-Pakistan ties worsen and Bollywood films are banned in the country.

The fear among the industry people has been growing as they feel that if the situation does not improve, there will be calls to ban Indian films eventually.

Bollywood, Hollywood matter

“I don’t want to sound pessimistic but the truth is there has only been a boom in the cinema industry in Pakistan in the last few years because of the release of latest Bollywood and Hollywood films,” says Nadeem Mandviwalla, a known exhibitor, distributor and owner of the Atrium chain of cineplexes.

“I just hope the ties don’t remain tense on long term basis. If there is a temporary ban, we can survive but if there is any permanent ban, you can expect a lot of cinema houses and multiplexes to close down,” he says.

Omair Alavi, a popular film critic, says that due to the increase in cinema screens and revenues, there has also been a resurgence of the Pakistani film industry.

Needed: 50 to 60 films a year

“We have seen a number of Pakistani films release and do well and others are also lined up for release. But for a cinema industry to survive you need to produce at least 50 to 60 films in a year which we are not doing at present,” he says.

Mr. Mandviwalla says 70 per cent of the business comes from Bollywood and Hollywood. “There is no alternative. If the ties worsen, it is going to affect everyone,” he says. He, however, says that previously when Indian films were banned in Pakistan, business flourished underground with the sale of pirated DVDs and other such materials.

“Now you have cable operators as well but I think if there is any ban it will also affect their programming,” he says.

‘Hope there will not be a ban’

Saleem Khan, who has been in the business for years, thinks there will not be a ban but if this happenes cinema owners might have to completely wrap up their business or shut a few screens to cut costs.

“We don’t produce enough films to sustain ourselves throughout the year. We need to produce at least over 50 films annually,” he says.

Former Sindh Board of Film Censors chairman Fakhr-e-Alam says any such ban will result in “going back to the days where our screens were shut down and converted into shopping malls or apartments because there weren’t enough movies.”

He feels there is only one hope for industry people in case of a ban on Bollywood films and that is the Pakistan government must provide funds for production of films.

Option: screen old Pak. films?

Cinepax Cinemas Assistant Marketing Manager Abid Ali Zaidi says if there is a “temporary” ban, the cinema chains will manage for a while by screening old Pakistani films.

“We are already planning to do that from October as an alternative,” Mr. Zaidi said.

Since Indian films were allowed to be imported and screened the cinema industry business has picked up rapidly in Pakistan with some Bollywood blockbusters even grossing the 100-crore rupees mark in Pakistan.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...if-ities-with-india-worsen/article9158287.ece

Pakistani cinemas can showcase American and Europen Movies. They can also add urdu titles to them. Indian movies are copy, paste and save as anyway. US Movies are quality entertainment.

Curtain falls on Indian movies in Pakistani cinemas

By Rafay Mahmood / Rahul AijazPublished: September 30, 2016
SHARES
SHARE TWEET

PHOTO: FACEBOOK/DHARMA PRODUCTIONS
KARACHI: Cinema owners in Pakistan have decided not to screen any Indian movies until tensions between the two countries de-escalate. They took the decision on Thursday after the Indian Motion Picture Producers Association (IMPPA) banned all Pakistani artists from working in film projects in India.

“We will suspend the exhibition of Indian films till normalcy,” said Nadeem Mandviwalla, owner of Mandviwalla Entertainment which runs Atrium Cinemas in Karachi and Centaurus in Islamabad. “No Indian movies will play in my cinemas from Friday onwards for sure,” he told The Express Tribune.

Super Cinemas owner Khorem Gultasab echoed Mandviwalla’s sentiments, saying he has already stopped screening any Indian films at his facilities. “We didn’t wait for an official declaration by exhibitors. From Friday onwards, no Bollywood film will be screened at Super Cinemas for at least two weeks to show solidarity with our actors and our military,” he said.

Although Cinepax – Pakistan’s largest network of cinemas – had not yet banned any Indian movies, a senior official of cinema chain said it would follow suit if film exhibitors take a mutual decision in this regard. “I have not heard anything confirmed as yet, but if exhibitors do ban Indian films, then of course we will go ahead with it,” said Cinepax General Manager Marketing Mohsin Yaseen.

Regarding a mutual decision, Nadeem Mandviwalla said: “Since this ban is an initiative taken by cinema owners and not the government, it is taking us some time to bring everyone on the same page.”

“We were taking things lightly initially, since the so-called ban [on Pakistani artists in India] was just a few mischief-mongers hurling anti-Pakistan slogans,” he said. “But things have gotten serious after the official [IMPPA] declaration.”

Mandviwalla added that an official announcement of the ban on Indian films will be made soon.

Meanwhile, Gultasab said he is also urging other exhibitors to ban Indian films so that the industry stands united. “A ban won’t be effective if confined to just cinemas. Going to a cinema is a choice, but television channels air content from India all the time,” he said. “We must completely black out Indian content. Remove it from TV channels and from DVD shops. Otherwise, there’s no point.”

The cinema owner added that this ban should continue until the Indian government offers Pakistani films a level playing field and Pakistani artists complete protection.

Renowned Pakistani filmmaker Jami agreed with Gultasab, saying: “There are Indian drama serials playing on TV all the time and you have DVD shops selling Indian films. Why just target cinema? If you want a ban, just ban all Indian content.”

Pakistanis banned from working in Indian films

Earlier on Thursday, Indian film producers passed a resolution banning anyone from Pakistan from working in films being made in India. The move was announced by IMPPA President T P Aggarwal.

“We’ve passed this resolution in the AGM today on the demand of all the producers. Henceforth, till the situation is ok between the Pakistani and Indian governments, we will not hire any Pakistani artist, technician or singer,” Aggarwal said
“If there is any ongoing project from which they cannot be removed now, on which everything has been done, they can come for that. We will maintain this till the relations between Pakistan and India are ok,” he added.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 30th, 2016.
@django @User @Moonlight @User

Pakistani cinemas can showcase American and Europen Movies. They can also add urdu titles to them. Indian movies are copy, paste and save as anyway. US Movies are quality entertainment.

You mean this right??

Back
Top Bottom