What's new

Pakistan court sentences Briton to death for blasphemy

VeeraBahadur

Reaction score
Country
India
Islamabad — A court in Pakistan has sentenced a British man to death for blasphemy for claiming to be a prophet of Islam, a prosecutor and police said Friday.

Mohammad Asghar, a British national of Pakistani origin, was arrested in 2010 in the garrison city of Rawalpindi, near Islamabad, for writing letters claiming to be a prophet, police said.

The special court inside Rawalpindi's Adiala Jail, where Asghar is being held, rejected defence claims that the 65-year-old has mental health problems.

"Asghar claimed to be a prophet even inside the court. He confessed it in front of the judge," Javed Gul, a government prosecutor, told AFP.

"Asghar used to write it even on his visiting card."

Blasphemy is an extremely sensitive issue in Pakistan, where 97 percent of the population is Muslim, and insulting the Prophet Mohammed can carry the death penalty.

But the country has had a de facto moratorium on civilian hangings since 2008. Only one person has been executed since then, a soldier convicted by court martial.

In 2006 the then-president Pervez Musharraf commuted the death sentence on a British man convicted of murder after appeals from then-prime minister Tony Blair and Prince Charles.

The court also ordered Asghar to pay a fine of one million Pakistani rupees ($10,000), Gul said.

A medical board examined Asghar after defence lawyers said he was suffering from some mental disorder, but Gul said they "declared him as a normal person".

"Asghar was failed to produce even a single witness in his favour," Gul added.

A police official in Sadiq Abad neighbourhood of Rawalpindi, where Asghar was arrested, confirmed the death sentence.

Pakistan's tough blasphemy laws have attracted criticism from rights groups, who say they are frequently abused to settle personal scores.

In 2012, Rimsha Masih, a young Christian girl, was arrested for alleged blasphemy in Islamabad.

The case provoked international concern because of her age, estimated at 14, and because she was variously described as "uneducated" or suffering from Down's syndrome.

The charges against here were eventually thrown out and last June she fled to Canada with her family.

Even unproven allegations of blasphemy can provoke a violent public response. There have been several cases where mobs have attacked mentally ill people who have made supposedly blasphemous claims.

AFP: Pakistan court sentences Briton to death for blasphemy

Not this blasphemy again. With science, we need to do some research on religion too.

I like this guy
I was reading somewhere that we should give them education. If they stay on same then he should get mental treatment. If he still says so then court can give him any punishment.

I was reading somewhere that we should give them education. If they stay on same then he should get mental treatment. If he still says so then court can give him any punishment.

He is mentally unhinged probably.

Even then, personally I am opposed to the death penalty in cases of Blasphemy.

That is my personal opinion though, Obviously the land of the law will prevail.

I like this guy

No homo .

aSGGIwE.gif

He is mentally unhinged probably.

Even then, personally I am opposed to the death penalty in cases of Blasphemy.

That is my personal opinion though, Obviously the land of the law will prevail.
There should be amendment in Blasphemy law but we have these illiterate molvis who don't want the same. In the end, I am not president or prime minister so I cannot do the same.

AFAIK, Death Penalty, according to Quran, is only allowed in 2 cases: Murder and Corruption in the Land (Fasad-fil-Ard/z). There is no death penalty for any other crime.

The other thing I know is that, in Quran, a number of times Allah (SWT) tells Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) that he should not worry and pray for disbelievers and hypocrites - they have gone far astray and blinded by their wickedness. The only job of the Prophet (PBUH) is to give good news and warning. The point is that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was so kind to everybody that he prayed for even the lowest of the low; that is why he has been called as 'Rehmat-ul-il-Alameen' (Mercy for all the Worlds).

Now, if somebody brings some Hadith in which Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) - Mercy for all the Worlds - has prescribed death penalty for blasphemy then that Hadith radically alters the kind character of Prophet Muhammad as compared to the one given in Quran.

If we just compare that Hadith - upon which these death penalties are based - with the Criterion (Al-Furqan) i.e. Quran; we see that Hadith fails to match with Quran and so it is definitely fake.

The person in this case probably needs some pshchiatric help - not death sentence.

Islamabad — A court in Pakistan has sentenced a British man to death for blasphemy for claiming to be a prophet of Islam, a prosecutor and police said Friday.

Mohammad Asghar, a British national of Pakistani origin, was arrested in 2010 in the garrison city of Rawalpindi, near Islamabad, for writing letters claiming to be a prophet, police said.

The special court inside Rawalpindi's Adiala Jail, where Asghar is being held, rejected defence claims that the 65-year-old has mental health problems.

"Asghar claimed to be a prophet even inside the court. He confessed it in front of the judge," Javed Gul, a government prosecutor, told AFP.

"Asghar used to write it even on his visiting card."

Blasphemy is an extremely sensitive issue in Pakistan, where 97 percent of the population is Muslim, and insulting the Prophet Mohammed can carry the death penalty.

But the country has had a de facto moratorium on civilian hangings since 2008. Only one person has been executed since then, a soldier convicted by court martial.

In 2006 the then-president Pervez Musharraf commuted the death sentence on a British man convicted of murder after appeals from then-prime minister Tony Blair and Prince Charles.

The court also ordered Asghar to pay a fine of one million Pakistani rupees ($10,000), Gul said.

A medical board examined Asghar after defence lawyers said he was suffering from some mental disorder, but Gul said they "declared him as a normal person".

"Asghar was failed to produce even a single witness in his favour," Gul added.

A police official in Sadiq Abad neighbourhood of Rawalpindi, where Asghar was arrested, confirmed the death sentence.

Pakistan's tough blasphemy laws have attracted criticism from rights groups, who say they are frequently abused to settle personal scores.

In 2012, Rimsha Masih, a young Christian girl, was arrested for alleged blasphemy in Islamabad.

The case provoked international concern because of her age, estimated at 14, and because she was variously described as "uneducated" or suffering from Down's syndrome.

The charges against here were eventually thrown out and last June she fled to Canada with her family.

Even unproven allegations of blasphemy can provoke a violent public response. There have been several cases where mobs have attacked mentally ill people who have made supposedly blasphemous claims.

AFP: Pakistan court sentences Briton to death for blasphemy

obviously this guy is delusional, court could have ordered a medical review before giving the death sentence.

what is the big deal. you have entire poltiicians stealing from the people, supporting jihadi terrorists and they are walking about putting this on others. this law is useless... hey why dont you look at mecca... it is designed in the shape of las vegas. liquor is available all around it if you need.. just go to the princes' homes. hey, saudis love vegas, does it matter if they try to make mecca like that.
yes, it is the innocent these shit laws which have no basis for reality.
if he said it so what, let him be.
instead of being protectors of minorities, this law should be scrapped and all mullahs put behind bars for having used and abused this illegal law. noone has the balls.

hadith has also been corrupted and there are so many versions and used for political purposes through the ages. It is just sayings and interpretation but not law. If it is taken like god's word, man people need to wake up and smell the roses.
live in reality and not in dark ages.

Last edited:
it is ironical that the very law or religion they cite for blasphemy- is one that had it's prophet and a famed fable about him showing concern for the health of a person, who used to chuck garbage at him. If he was so tolerant then how do your countries justify such laws?

@Developereo @FaujHistorian @Oscar like your thoughts. I don't get how this law is even legal per my example above.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom