Pakistan chooses peace over dollars

lem34

New Recruit

Reaction score
Pakistan chooses peace over dollars

Pir-Mohammad Mollazehi

On Line: 06 January 2012 15:51
In Print: Saturday 07 January 2012

Over the past few years, Pakistan has depended heavily on financial assistance provided by the United States.

However, the U.S. Congress recently ratified a new bill reducing the amount of financial assistance to Islamabad. According to the bill, hundreds of millions of dollars in military assistance to Pakistan will be suspended because the country has decreased its support for Washington’s campaign against Al-Qaeda and the Taliban.

The U.S. has laid down one major condition for the restoration of the financial assistance, demanding that the Pakistani army launch military operations against the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and other militants and terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda and the Haqqani network in the semi-autonomous North Waziristan region.

However, the Pakistani army is opposed to the demand because it would engulf the country in a civil war.

Moreover, North Waziristan, which is located in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, is not the only place where the TTP operates. The group has allies in some cities and towns, which allows them to carry out terrorist operations against civilians.

The army’s unwillingness to get involved in such a wrong–headed adventure means that the Pakistani government should forget about the U.S. dollars. Islamabad will now have to look for new sources of financial assistance because without foreign support, the country will have great difficulty handling its economic situation.

China and Iran are viewed as the main candidates to replace the U.S. as providers of financial assistance.

If this happened, Islamabad would be aligning itself with Eastern countries, which would reduce U.S. interference in the region.

U.S.-Pakistan relations are probably not going to return to the previous situation in the foreseeable future. The two sides are making accusations against each other, and this will certainly have serious repercussions for the entire region.

Pakistan’s decision to attempt to maintain peace and stability indicates that the era when the U.S. had a free hand to interfere in the country has drawn to a close.

Islamabad has finally decided to stop playing the role of Washington’s proxy in the region.

Pir-Mohammad Mollazehi is an expert on Pakistan and Afghanistan based in Tehran.

Interesting that Iraninans are saying we may look to them for financial aid??

In short term we will surely have to absorb the wave of crises but in long term it's better for Pakistan IF we stick to our decision. If we can have some sort of currency swap agreement with Iran than it will help to minimize the extent of economic problem and will be helpful for both Iran & Pakistan, we will be able to fulfill our energy needs and reduce or Oil bills and can export agriculture, textile and live stock products, maybe some thunder birds as well to Iran without needing $.

PS: I don't think Iran can help Pakistan financially other than increasing trade

atlast you learned:)

Mate the people of Pakistani never wanted this. It was Americans bullying and bribing our leaders that may have finally learned

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

In short term we will surely have to absorb the wave of crises but in long term it's better for Pakistan IF we stick to our decision. If we can have some sort of currency swap agreement with Iran than it will help to minimize the extent of economic problem and will be helpful for both Iran & Pakistan, we will be able to fulfill our energy needs and reduce or Oil bills and can export agriculture, textile and live stock products, maybe some thunder birds as well to Iran without needing $.

PS: I don't think Iran can help Pakistan financially other than increasing trade

Maybe a reduction of customers for Iranian oil. Logic dictates we should cooperate with them JF17s for oil I say

Pakistan must and will stand on its own feet - aid is never seen by those that need it. Our scummy leaders make sure of that. Remember only 10 to 15% aid reaches the end user. The rest is stolen and squandered by our leaders and the $$ ends up in Switzerland. Back in the 90s our nation grew when it was forced to pull its finger out. Our nation will without doubt come out at the other side stronger and fitter!!!

1) America gets the hell out of here.
2) Afghanistan stands on its own feet.
3) There is more direct trade between India and Pakistan.

I have a dream................

Pir-Mohammad Mollazehi

I read the author name and figured out..another pesudo persian peddling his agenda..Iran is no match for China..or for that matter even Saudi Arabia..Iran itself is suffering with crippled economy!

Will PAK stick to the IP pipeline? I hope PAK becomes a self sufficient powerful country but to do that their leaders need to grow
some spine.

US $$$ are nothing but sweet poison for our country ....We very happi we got rid of it for good ...Alhamdolillah!.......:smokin:

usa is finally leaving us we were fine before aid with sanctions we can be again say no us aid:pakistan:

First of all i disagree with all this, it was never a aid, it was what they were using in Pakistan,
all the services Pakistan was providing to US for WOT, infact people like musharraf gave them all services in very low price.

there was no AID it was all the payments for services they are getting... we have stopped giving the services and they have stopped the payments infact they never paid and we stopped the services due to non payments on their part. means USA is defaulting on all fronts...

They want free services which they are not getting any more as people like musharraf are not in power and zardari/PPP is also fighting for its existence ....

Long live Pakistan army

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom