What's new

Pakistan becomes exporter of solar panels

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: Pakistan has now joined the list of solar panel exporting countries, the News learnt on Monday.

Talking to the News, Pervaiz Lodhie of Shaan Technologies explained how his company was a pioneer in this business.

He said that they had started manufacturing solar panels in Karachi two years back and were exporting high quality solar panels to USA.

“We are also tapping regional markets and we are hopeful that sooner our panels would start going to Afghanistan,” Lodhie said.

He said that China had flooded the market with low cost and low quality solar panels, which had the tough competition.

“So far, we are catering to the made-to-order custom voltage demand and about half a million dollar worth of products are exported to US a year,” Lodhie said. To a question, he said that Pakistan itself was the biggest market for solar panels and the authorities must harness this precious resource to meet its energy demands.

“Small scale solar farms should be set up in different localities and cottage industrial zones. So that, the energy so generated could be transferred into the grids, which will save additional costs,” Lodhie said. He said that solar panels were not that expensive anymore, adding that though the upfront cost was high but it was economical in the long run. “Only converting the lighting and fans on solar power can reduce a household’s electricity by 25 percent,” Lodhie informed.

Talking about the alternate energy, Lodhie said that Pakistan was not quite suitable for wind energy, which was the reason that the wind energy could not meet a success.

“Pakistan is ideal for harnessing solar energy. With the installation of small solar farms, Pakistan can generate over 10,000 megawatts in less than three years,” Lodhie observed.

Speaking of health hazards associated with the fluorescent lights and energy savers, he said that a number of countries were discouraging such lights and energy savers because of their harmful impact on health.

“LED lighting is the solution for efficient lighting and this should be promoted in the country,” Lodhie concluded.

Pakistan becomes exporter of solar panels - thenews.com.pk

What company is this? are they marketing any smaller systems for domestic use?

USD500,000 product exports per anum, and it's a newsworthy item? That much people spend as accessories in their "high end" cars. Basically, even ONE SMALLEST SIZED order would generate that much business.

USD500,000 product exports per anum, and it's a newsworthy item? That much people spend as accessories in their "high end" cars. Basically, even ONE SMALLEST SIZED order would generate that much business.

Its a start i guess lol

You gotta start from somewhere. In 2000, Pakistan's GDP was around $60 billion, now it's close to $300 billion, that's only in 14 years. Like I said, you gotta start from somewhere, and if you keep at it, you'll eventually make all your efforts worthwhile.

Of course. Not debating that at all. Just newsworthiness of the article. Besides, not all businesses are created equally. PV cells manufacturing within certain specs is no simple task, and definitely for the faint hearted, China is world leader in PV fab, not just because of maturity of their processes, manufacturing standards but a hundred other reasons, many of which are trade secrets. What I'm saying is, it's not like getting into dairy industry.

I highly doubt ANY article that comes out of Pakistani press. Just like Indian press. They see patterns in everything great that happens abroad, thinking that there must be some Indian involved at some level, by chance if they even find out that the tea-boy was Indian, then voila, they'll come up with something even more outrageous.

More? Don't forget @cb4 is the mouth-piece of Nawaz League. Same illiterates who tried to play monopoly / "bank-bank" / motorway-motorway / yellow-yellow-cab with Pakistani economy back in the 90's. Are you still feeling the effects of that? Of course not! You are not living back home! :D

You gotta start from somewhere. In 2000, Pakistan's GDP was around $60 billion, now it's close to $300 billion, that's only in 14 years. Like I said, you gotta start from somewhere, and if you keep at it, you'll eventually make all your efforts worthwhile.

Of course. Not debating that at all. Just newsworthiness of the article. Besides, not all businesses are created equally. PV cells manufacturing within certain specs is no simple task, and definitely for the faint hearted, China is world leader in PV fab, not just because of maturity of their processes, manufacturing standards but a hundred other reasons, many of which are trade secrets. What I'm saying is, it's not like getting into dairy industry.

I highly doubt ANY article that comes out of Pakistani press. Just like Indian press. They see patterns in everything great that happens abroad, thinking that there must be some Indian involved at some level, by chance if they even find out that the tea-boy was Indian, then voila, they'll come up with something even more outrageous.

More? Don't forget @cb4 is the mouth-piece of Nawaz League. Same illiterates who tried to play monopoly with Pakistani economics back in the 90's. Are you still feeling the effects of that? Of course not! You are not living back home! :D
Fair enough, though I do have to say that I do come back to Pakistan every now and then, so I'm not completely out of the loop.

Times have changed, the IMF and international institutes have learned their lessons with Pakistan, and are keep a close eye on it's economy and government to look for inconsistencies. The IMF just recently warned Pakistan about the government's plan to give tax exemptions for large corporations, and got the government to backtrack for the upcoming budget.

Ever worked with IMF / WB? I have with WB. Dude, you'd be surprised how the internal politics works! :D

Fair enough, though I do have to say that I do come back to Pakistan every now and then, so I'm not completely out of the loop.

Times have changed, the IMF and international institutes have learned their lessons with Pakistan, and are keep a close eye on it's economy and government to look for inconsistencies. The IMF just recently warned Pakistan about the government's plan to give tax exemptions for large corporations, and got the government to backtrack for the upcoming budget.

Ever worked with IMF / WB? I have with WB. Dude, you'd be surprised how the internal politics works! :D
No, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of backstabbing involved.

Guys I worked in this industry. Please accept the fact that Pakistan DO NOT have any capability to build PV cells. They might be importing cells putting in to panels and that's is low value added work and can be done at any level.

I concur @That Guy that some has to start small and grow with time. But this news is not note worthy and do not deserve a big artical in news paper.

Hope to see them in news again in few years. Good Luck

That was the last straw, which made me go solo. Best decision I ever made. Doesn't matter whoever you work for, people are just messed up when working for a "corporation", no matter how reputable or their level of education. Bad bad people! :P

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of backstabbing involved.

KARACHI: Pakistan has now joined the list of solar panel exporting countries, the News learnt on Monday.

Talking to the News, Pervaiz Lodhie of Shaan Technologies explained how his company was a pioneer in this business.

He said that they had started manufacturing solar panels in Karachi two years back and were exporting high quality solar panels to USA.

“We are also tapping regional markets and we are hopeful that sooner our panels would start going to Afghanistan,” Lodhie said.

He said that China had flooded the market with low cost and low quality solar panels, which had the tough competition.

“So far, we are catering to the made-to-order custom voltage demand and about half a million dollar worth of products are exported to US a year,” Lodhie said. To a question, he said that Pakistan itself was the biggest market for solar panels and the authorities must harness this precious resource to meet its energy demands.

“Small scale solar farms should be set up in different localities and cottage industrial zones. So that, the energy so generated could be transferred into the grids, which will save additional costs,” Lodhie said. He said that solar panels were not that expensive anymore, adding that though the upfront cost was high but it was economical in the long run. “Only converting the lighting and fans on solar power can reduce a household’s electricity by 25 percent,” Lodhie informed.

Talking about the alternate energy, Lodhie said that Pakistan was not quite suitable for wind energy, which was the reason that the wind energy could not meet a success.

“Pakistan is ideal for harnessing solar energy. With the installation of small solar farms, Pakistan can generate over 10,000 megawatts in less than three years,” Lodhie observed.

Speaking of health hazards associated with the fluorescent lights and energy savers, he said that a number of countries were discouraging such lights and energy savers because of their harmful impact on health.

“LED lighting is the solution for efficient lighting and this should be promoted in the country,” Lodhie concluded.

Pakistan becomes exporter of solar panels - thenews.com.pk
Thumbs up for humble beginnings.
Meanwhile the USITC has dragged India to WTO for its restrictions on import of solar panels citing that it costs domestic(US) jobs.
Their own country imports from Pak.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back
Top Bottom