What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

Thats what they've done with the Al-Khalid.
Correct, no need to criticize tanks made in other countries that are not optimum for your local conditions.
So many tanks cannot make it in this desert, conditions must be very harsh.
Just make your own or integrate some imports where beneficial to further improve your tanks.

Anyway I get to know such terrible place exist, gets me curious on the location of this desert.
How about reforesting this place like how they do it in China.

Correct, no need to criticize tanks made in other countries that are not optimum for your local conditions.
So many tanks cannot make it in this desert, conditions must be very harsh.
Just make your own or integrate some imports where beneficial to further improve your tanks.

Anyway I get to know such terrible place exist, gets me curious on the location of this desert.

8F87FA6C-3E90-4895-90D5-886795697C4B.png

6B856935-2B2D-4F62-9D50-95B306F8DF29.jpeg
64D3FD31-93DA-466D-8603-1DD150B21405.jpeg
1049EC2C-2292-4E0A-93AD-468256D21137.jpeg
76BA7494-FE30-4B09-97D5-6D5E0EEF8D98.jpeg
DBB3749A-8DA8-4666-8B76-362A48FE9F3A.jpeg
6A6FBE49-5F98-440A-8216-1CCF7ED81CB2.jpeg
7F2B18DE-0034-4B09-B2EF-0ED84980DE4B.jpeg
7C4DC7C2-1F19-49A0-AB36-ED5E9D85C0F7.jpeg
260B2D39-A368-425E-A3B5-B42AC8D1CE8C.jpeg
2C9D7A00-4C41-4735-A1A4-F81EB2F8C9F8.jpeg
B75C6D13-9964-49D8-9EDD-6EA69C106482.jpeg

As if you know a lot. In fact, you know nothing.

The only obstacle for VT-4 will be TOT for engine and the price high tag of USD 5.8million per tank.

I suggest you go Google for more of VT-4 info instead of spewing misinfo.

VT-4 and AK are 2 different generation of tank. Their transmission layout is totally different. VT-4 is following modeen western tank layout with gearbox and engine intergrated into single piece for ease of maintenance and repair. While AK , T-90 and oplot t-84 still follow old Russian transmission layout that do not allow engine to be replaced in less than an hour time.

They need half a day time to replace transmission, gearbox before engine able to replaced. This greatly reduced the survival of MBT during battle. There are more to talk about but just this point allow will not allow any amount of upgrade to replace it.
AK uses French Transmission System/ SESM by Renk.

Also used in Lecrec.

Upgrading AK will be far better choice for PA than spending billions on purchases that only offer slightly better engines, FCS, and armor. The armor can be upgraded on AK with modular add ones with modern ERA on top, similar to how Type 99 upgraded the wedge shaped ERA frame on Type 98. FCS is more difficult but can't imagine AK FCS being so bad it can't do its job in defending Pakistan. AK is lighter than both Oplot and VT-4 so shouldn't really need a more powerful engine. PA should either go for a much better light tank or just stick with AK upgrades. T-90MS is really the only one I can think of. If they want to venture into heavier territory, Type 99 and Altay are the only considerations available in the 50-60 tonne range. Don't think the other modern alternatives are up for export.
AK II with a 1500hp engine is under development.

Its FCS is top of the line.. even tiny AZ comes with Italian Thetis System.

Harsh desert conditions are not unique to Pakistan. You will come across them in different countries. It is another thing that some in Pakistan are into creating legends.

Take a good look:-

1486781694597431848.jpg

Sand is incredibly soft [like talcum powder] there; conditions cannot get any worse than that. This kind of sand creeps into anything and is known to kill electronics. Only the most rugged units can function in these conditions.

US Army on the whole have adapted well to fighting in harsh desert conditions since WW2.

Now, take a look at sand storms in Iraq:

8Sandstorm_NYT.jpg

ZERO visibility. Iraqi Sand Storms are among the most intense in the world.

---

The M1 variant they offered to Pakistan for trials in 1988 might not be optimized for operations in harsh desert conditions at the time. This doesn't imply that American units are lacking in such optimizations; they have performed well in a wide-range of environments including in Afghanistan.

The other side of the story: maintenance requirements of virtually any [sophisticated] equipment significantly increases in harsh desert conditions due to high probability of sand creeping into its components during the course of operations. A sophisticated equipment is a sum of numerous components and moving parts in them. Secondly; diesel engine or multi-fuel engine - each have its share of vulnerabilities and each will suffer from increased wear-and-tear in harsh desert conditions. Components can be rugged but are not magic. A good army is nothing without adequate logistics.

---

I agree with your point. Pakistan Army should make do with Al-Khalid and stick to its modernization. No point in buying stuff of similar weight class.

Last edited:
Way better in what regards? Please elaborate
Western and VT-4 engine are single piece component which just replacing the whole engine parts in an hour time can revive the tank and put into battlefield immediately. Unlike Russian and Ukraine engine and transmission gear box which are all separate. If you want to replace the engine. The transmission gearbox need to be seperated removed together with engine. And this will need half a day time to accomplish just to revive the tank if the engine is damaged in battlefield.

82602.JPG

https://www.guancha.cn/XiYaZhou/2018_08_26_469621_7.shtml

Baidu Translate:
The greatest advance in the latest Russian military demonstration of a new generation of old equipment modified vehicles is that most of them are equipped with "pine-U" thermal imagery, which Russia introduced French technology to build factories in the country. Previously, there was a general feeling of wonder about how Russia was able to maintain production after France joined sanctions against Russia, because it had been reported that some key components still had to be imported from France. However, at this year's "Army 2018" exhibition, some Chinese enterprises said that at present several Russian enterprises producing thermal imagery, and they have a cooperative relationship... Although this statement can not be done any evidence, but I think... The relationship between China and Russia's thermal imagers is still a matter of fact. This is also a basic premise for Russia to popularize thermal imagery in new generation tanks and infantry combat vehicles when its military expenditure has fallen sharply this year compared with last year.
I have said before that Russia will sooner or later have to "hate the truth". Now at least the thermal imager... Congratulations on Chinese thermal imaging enterprises.

@wanglaokan

Last edited:
View attachment 494395
https://www.guancha.cn/XiYaZhou/2018_08_26_469621_7.shtml

Baidu Translate:
The greatest advance in the latest Russian military demonstration of a new generation of old equipment modified vehicles is that most of them are equipped with "pine-U" thermal imagery, which Russia introduced French technology to build factories in the country. Previously, there was a general feeling of wonder about how Russia was able to maintain production after France joined sanctions against Russia, because it had been reported that some key components still had to be imported from France. However, at this year's "Army 2018" exhibition, some Chinese enterprises said that at present several Russian enterprises producing thermal imagery, and they have a cooperative relationship... Although this statement can not be done any evidence, but I think... The relationship between China and Russia's thermal imagers is still a matter of fact. This is also a basic premise for Russia to popularize thermal imagery in new generation tanks and infantry combat vehicles when its military expenditure has fallen sharply this year compared with last year.
I have said before that Russia will sooner or later have to "hate the truth". Now at least the thermal imager... Congratulations on Chinese thermal imaging enterprises.

@wanglaokan

Thank you for the usual propaganda :lol:

Fake news. There is no problem with engine. There are many lies on social media about Chinese product especially those Western born Pakistanis who still try to cling onto the falsehood that western countries is the best friend of Pakistan while China is a evil nation just trying to lynch Pakistan.

From Chinese forum, some of the Chinese side representative involved in VT-4 tender for Pakistan. Never say anything about engine problem complaint from the Pakistan. And they claim they are confident to meet all requirement of Pakistan. The others competitor tank are simply too outdated to compete with VT-4 in terms of sensor and network. VT-4 is a highy network tank that can share data with a battalion, UAV and even radar that it has very high chance of locate enemy tank first and take action. Ukraine Oplot-M simply lack of such sophisticated network to be the new generation tank.

Thailand army are very impressed with VT-4 and they quickly placed order of it.

VT-4 engine is using computerized fully automatic transmission that makes the response and handling like a sport car. The engine of VT-4 can be swapped out and replace with a new one in just 45mins while Oplot engine needs half day time to complete such task. I do not know why so many Pakistanis think so highly of such an obsolete tank like Oplot?
Why can't we get ztz 99

I tell you what. If I'm PA, I will straightly go for T99A2 if it's available. It will be a huge regret if we don't bring out the best for competition. PA deserves for the best. The stupid sales strategy should be adjusted.
T99a2 all the way

LOL.. Typical backward mentality where they think China is backward and needs Turkish advice. VT-4 is much higher standard than Altay and Oplot M. No joke. please do more research on VT-4 before making silly comment.
Why should we buy VT-4 why not 99a2

I also believe VT-4 should be rejected and one thing should be conveyed to Chinese, offer top of the line products if you want us to be your closest strategic partner or your Israel and face west as foes.

Export oriented weapons should be rejected as similar are offered to other countries too.
Just my thoughts we are not Thailand or any other third world country we are your only real strategic partners. So no to vt4 only t99a2

Back
Top Bottom