What's new

Pakistan army says Taliban must not set terms for talks

Remember the LTTE ?

They too carried explosives on themselves - it took concerted , determined action to root them out. SL was in a state to call the shots after military action started .

In any case whats your point ?

that's a whole alot different scenerio...
here taliban mullahs misinterpret islam to brainwash kids so that they don't feel any hesitation blowing themselves up in the name of religion...

plus,pakistani talibans have always safe place to hide in afghanistan..our army pushes them in FATA...they will simply go back in afghanistan and will regroup and come back as deploying army along the entire border and in the whole region is IMPOSSIBLE!

what is gonna happen when US will leave afghanistan? our army will be at the mercy of those who humiliated two super powers!
and that is a terrible idea...

Brother Secur, first of all Shalimar Television Network (STN) and Network Television Marketing (NTM) launched the first private television station in Pakistan way back in 1990.

Secondly, ask someone senior to you why the father of Gazi Brothers was tasked by the Tyrant General Zia-ul-Haq to recruit fighters from Pakistan for Al-Qaida Al-Subah... you may also learn how Al-Qaida Al-Subah also ended up with Stinger Missiles in their hands during that period.

Thirdly, what was Pakistan's military doing recognising the Taliban Government from October 1999-October 2001? Maybe you can also enlighten us on Pakistan military's role with the highjacking of the Indian plane during that time.

Fourthly, what's it got to do with the Muslim Ummah Brothers? Are they armed with nuclear weapons and also have the 6th largest military in the world? Did Pakistan's enlightened military even approach the Muslim Ummah Brothers for help or did they simply decide to sell Pakistan for $20 billion (in return for $100 billion of damage and counting - lets just blame the Prime Ministers in exile for that).

Fifthly, so you're saying Pakistan's Armed Forces found safety in cowardice... Well done. In my humble opinion, I think every General, Air Chief and Admiral of Pakistan Armed Forces should be given medals for this Great Valour till Qiyamat. Shabaash.

Sixthly, which of my statement you do not understand when I say Pakistan's Nominal GDP ranking crashed from the 43rd position in 1999 to the 48th position in 2008?

List of countries by past and future GDP (nominal)

I will rephrase it for you , during who's rule , you saw an upsurge in the number of private channels allowing the flow of free and unbiased information to the Pakistani public ? When exactly was the private sector encouraged to launch their own T.V channels ? Why does it happen that not a single proper new channel was launched after the STN which itself wasn't allowed to broadcast its own news and current affair programmings ? :azn:

In 2002, the then government opened up new ways for the media industry of Pakistan by allowing private TV channels to operate openly even to telecast their own news and current affairs content. Prior to that the only private TV channel of the country NTM was not allowed to transmit its own news and current affairs programmings. Indus Vision, ARY Digital, Geo, Hum, and then list went on and on.

Really ? What exactly does it have to do with what those terrorists did later in Islamabad ? The so called Afghan Jihad and Zia-UL-Haq are the worst things that ever happened to Pakistan . I need not ask anyone about what happened in the 80's . The policies and the actions of the Commander of the Faithful in the wake up of a extremely hyped up and exaggerated threat of Soviets coming to warm waters and the state endorsement of a particular brand of Islam which was violent , barbaric and intolerant in known to everybody . The Soviets , Americans and the Saudis left properly , leaving Islamabad to clean the mess by itself . This is no secret that the extremism and intolerance was introduced in the Pakistani society during the Afghan Jihad , destroying the very fabric of our society and allowing the militant to preach and practice their inhumane interpretation here . A certain ideology was introduced and mated , which resulted in the events of today where you see the radicalized masses - ready to kill you on the mere difference of opinion ? At what cost was the two superpower's battle in Afghanistan won by the tyrant ? It wasn't our war by any chance since the Soviet never indicated by words and actions that their ultimate aim was to conquer Pakistan . Fast forward to today , who asked the Ghazi brothers to take up arms against the state , convert their Madarsa into a battle station , train the students for battle and challenge the writ of the state by burqa dance on the streets of Islamabad ? Did someone bother to tell you that ?

Protecting the interests of Pakistan by ensuring a friendly Govt in Afghanistan and that the soil of Afghanistan isn't used against Islamabad's territory . I am again not a big fan of supporting the terrorists but at times , it becomes necessary seeing the ground realities . Bordering that hell hole country comes with problems and I am fully cognizant of that .

Cherry picking much , are we here ? :azn: So , you will quote a certain part of my post and leave the rest , post something and then expect me to answer that ? We pride ourselves on our Ummah brothers for whom we dont even care for our own national interests too . Since , we help them just so much , I expected them to help them Pakistan during that troubled time when the threat of the U.S. bombardment was approaching . The Saudis being a petrodollar ally of Washington must have interfered and let the Yanks know that they shouldn't threaten their ally . Did they ? Despite having an influence that most people cant even imagine , they didn't interfere in the whole darn thing . Pakistan's enlightened military in the absence of any Ummah help from any Muslim country and knowing fully well what the American war machine is capable of , chose what was best for their country and the lesser of the two evils . Nothing more , nothing less .

Not again . The whole Pakistani nation found safety by accepting American demands back then . Why single out the military or would you have liked a Pakistan as same as Afghanistan - indistinguishable from the time the Alexander set foot on Afghan soil after the B52's leveled it up ? Because then the Americans were in rage and furious after 9/11 and their threat wasn't to be dismissed as mere threat . Do you understand having no or little choice in different matters or you are much too delusional of some divine help from somewhere ? Afghanistan has had nothing to lose since well its but a graveyard and it can afford to harbor terrorists and then let its country be destroyed by not handing them to the Americans but the same was and isn't true for us . We have a proper fully functioning country and hence made the decision and the sole choice , we had to save our country in the absence of any help from our allies . I can assure you that if Nawaz Sharif or even the Mullah Brigade was in charge at that time , they would have done the same but in a much worst way seeing the deals that they are negotiating today with the murderers of 50,000 Pakistanis . Can you come out of the idealist world you live in ?

I asked for more credible data rather than rankings . Which of my statements did you not understand about comparing the growth rate , currency exchange rates , GDP , prices of common commodities and the investor attraction during Musharraf's rule ? You seriously want to compare the economic legacy of Musharraf with that of the corrupt to the core PPP Govt under the command of Zardari ? Ok , but do not cherry pick this time and fixate on a single indicator . Get me a link for the proper ranking of Nominal GDP first of all . Economic performance is measured in term of percentage not value - calculate GDP growth in % and compare it with democratic govt. - Not to mention the economic reforms i.e. telecom sector, media industry and many other happened under military rule.

All I get from your link is this .

IMF Estimate for Pakistan from 1990-1999 | 48,457 | 55,007| 59,407| 62,880| 63,389| 74,066| 77,345| 76,261| 75,966 |71,248
IMF Estimates from 2000-2009 74,080 |72,268 |72,685 |83,501 |98,093 |109,595|127,489|143,203 |163,892 |161,819

Now , do the maths and compare .

Second , since you couldn't find the data which I asked for , here see this now . Economic comparison of Pakistan 1999–2008

1999 2007 2008 2009
GDP $ 75 billion $ 160 billion $ 170 billion $ 185 billion
GDP Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) $ 270 billion $ 475.5 billion $ 504 billion $ 545.6 billion
GDP per Capita Income $ 450 $ 925 $1085 $1250
Revenue collection Rs. 305 billion Rs. 708 billion Rs. 990 billion Rs. 1.05 trillion
Foreign reserves $ 1.96 billion $ 16.4 billion $ 8.89 billion $ 17.21 billion
Exports $ 8.5 billion $ 18.5 billion $ 19.22 billion $ 18.45 billion
KHI stock exchange (100-Index) $ 5 billion at 700 points $ 75 billion at 14,000 points $ 46 billion at 9,300 points $ 26.5 billion at 9,000 points
Foreign Direct Investment $ 1 billion $ 8.4 billion $ 5.19 billion $ 4.6 billion
External Debt & Liabilities $ 39 billion $ 40.17 billion $ 45.9 billion $ 50.1 billion
Development programmes Rs. 80 billion Rs. 520 billion Rs. 549.7 billion Rs. 621 billion

Answer me this . Was your democratic Govt able to sustain and keep continuing the same growth rate as Musharraf did or is the economy of Pakistan today at the state of decline and on the verge of collapse and near halt ? Why are we seeing a constant drop in the same values you take as indicators since then ?

South%2BAsia%2BEmployment.jpg

Pakistani%2BEconomy%2BGraphs.jpg

Pakistan's tax base and government revenue collection more than doubled from about Rs. 500b to over Rs. 1 trillion. Pakistan's GDP more than doubled to $144b since 1999. Most recent figures in 2007 indicate that Pakistan's total debt stands at 56% of GDP, significantly lower than the 99% of GDP in 1999.
The strong consumer demand in Pakistan drove large investments in real estate, construction, communications, automobile manufacturing, banking and various consumer goods. Millions of new jobs were created. By all accounts, the ranks of the middle class swelled in Pakistan during Shaukat Aziz's term in office. According to Tara Vishwanath, the World Bank's lead economist for South Asia, about 5% of Pakistanis moved from the poor to the middle class in three years from 2001-2004, the most recent figures available. In 2007, analysts at Standard Chartered bank estimated that Pakistan has a middle class of 30 million which earns an average of about $10,000 per year. And adjusted for purchasing power parity (PPP), Pakistan's per capita GDP is approaching $3,000 per head.
Pakistan positioned itself as one of the four fastest growing economies in the Asian region during 2000-07 with its growth averaging 7.0 per cent per year for most of this period. As a result of strong economic growth, Pakistan succeeded in reducing poverty by one-half, creating almost 13 million jobs, halving the country's debt burden, raising foreign exchange reserves to a comfortable position and propping the country's exchange rate, restoring investors' confidence and most importantly, taking Pakistan out of the IMF Program.
Since the takeover by the PPP-PML(N) coalition, there has been a sharp decline in Pakistan's economy. Summing up the current economic situation,the Economist magazine in its June 12 issue says as follows:" (The current) macroeconomic disarray will be familiar to the coalition government led by the Pakistan People's Party of Asif Zardari, and to Nawaz Sharif, whose party provides it “outside support”. Before Mr Sharif was ousted in 1999, the two parties had presided over a decade of corruption and mismanagement. But since then, as the IMF remarked in a report in January, there has been a transformation. Pakistan attracted over $5 billion in foreign direct investment in the 2006-07 fiscal year, ten times the figure of 2000-01. The government's debt fell from 68% of GDP in 2003-04 to less than 55% in 2006-07, and its foreign-exchange reserves reached $16.4 billion as recently as in October."
The current government hailed the performance of Pakistan's economy under President Musharraf's watch as follows: "Pakistan's economy witnessed a major economic transformation in the last decade. The country's real GDP increased from $60 billion to $170 billion, with per capita income rising from under $500 to over $1000 during 2000-07". It further acknowledged that "the volume of international trade increased from $20 billion to nearly $60 billion. The improved macroeconomic performance enabled Pakistan to re-enter the international capital markets in the mid-2000s. Large capital inflows financed the current account deficit and contributed to an increase in gross official reserves to $14.3 billion at end-June 2007. Buoyant output growth, low inflation, and the government's social policies contributed to a reduction in poverty and improvement in many social indicators". (see MEFP, November 20, 2008, Para 1)
FDI%2Bin%2BPakistan.jpg

Haq's Musings: Musharraf's Economic Legacy

Brother @Secur, I don't know what you're rambling on about.

Pakistan launched it's first private channel all the way back in 1991 whether you like it or not. Just like under Democracy, broken Pakistan launched the nuclear program against all odds and under Democracy, heavily-sanctioned Pakistan tested the Islamic Bomb.

What media freedom? The freedom where channels got to criticise Military Tyranny 10% of the time while praising the tyrant 90% of the time and if anyone who didn't obey this rule was added to the missing list?

Pakistan has not had the regular channel shutdowns between 2008-2013 like the way it had during the days of Pakistan's oppressive military tyrannical rule between 2002-2008. I am sure even you have noticed this.

Again, whether you like it or not - millions of Pakistani soldiers during the 1980s were party to arming thousands of Al-Qaida Al-Subbah fighters with American Stinger missiles.

The dollar justified it in Pakistani military's eyes.

ronald-reagan-meets-the-taliban.jpg

Don't worry brother Secur, America will need Taliban again from 2015 onwards for a war of attrition with Iran... the dollar will justify it once again according to the Pakistani military's superior think-tanks.

Lastly, which part of my statement you don't understand when I say Pakistan's Nominal GDP ranking shrank from the 43rd position in 1999 to the 48th by 2008? (In my previous link, click on the year for each year from 1999-2008 and count the rankings for Pakistan).

Brother Secur, also note Pakistan's Nominal GDP grew from $167 billion in 2008 to $233 billion in 2013 - while the Nominal GDP ranking returned from the 48th position in 2008 to 43rd in 2013... and growing. Interesting enough, Pakistan was also ranked 37th back in 1991.

Now, if you don't have any valid points to argue with me, then stop trying so hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brother @Secur, I don't know what you're rambling on about.

Pakistan launched it's first private channel all the way back in 1991 whether you like it or not. Just like under Democracy, broken Pakistan launched the nuclear program against all odds and under Democracy, heavily-sanctioned Pakistan tested the Islamic Bomb.

What media freedom? The freedom where channels got to criticise Military Tyranny 10% of the time while praising the tyrant 90% of the time and if anyone who didn't obey this rule was added to the missing list?

Pakistan has not had the regular channel shutdowns between 2008-2013 like the way it had during the days of Pakistan's oppressive military tyrannical rule between 2002-2008. I am sure even you have noticed this.

Again, whether you like it or not - millions of Pakistani soldiers during the 1980s were party to arming thousands of Al-Qaida Al-Subbah fighters with American Stinger missiles.

The dollar justified it in Pakistani military's eyes.

ronald-reagan-meets-the-taliban.jpg

Don't worry brother Secur, America will need Taliban again from 2015 onwards for a war of attrition with Iran... the dollar will justify it once again according to the Pakistani military's superior think-tanks.

Lastly, which part of my statement you don't understand when I say Pakistan's Nominal GDP ranking shrank from the 43rd position in 1999 to the 48th by 2008? (In my previous link, click on the year for each year from 1999-2008 and count the rankings for Pakistan).

Brother Secur, also note Pakistan's Nominal GDP grew from $167 billion in 2008 to $233 billion in 2013 - while the Nominal GDP ranking returned from the 48th position in 2008 to 43rd in 2013... and growing. Interesting enough, Pakistan was also ranked 37th back in 1991).

Now, if you don't have any valid points to argue with me, then stop trying so hard.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...nue-its-role-swat-says-kayani-loud-clear.html
for your never ending hate against PAKARMY, listen to the above link & understand the power behind it?
which is just there because of the sacrifices of, great soilders from every rank within itself against enemy, specially the terrorists?
now if you are so convinced, that pakarmy is wrong then why not you join them "the terrorists" to thier so called struggle for islam & reach the paradise faster?
try it, pakarmy will send you to the hell you belong?
its not, talibans who met regan, stop posting stupid, mullha mind produced, dissinformative news links, those who met with regan were called MUJAHEDINS?
who were outested by talibans, in 1996 after mujahidins couldnt stop thier internal conflicts?
dont try to teach, mullha, tora bora cambridge !mullha history of talbanistan here huhhh?
& STN was nt private channel, it was used by both ganja & bb for thier own purposes?
just its mangment was made private, but was kicked out politicly?
dont try to be a economist here, what was that crash after our nuck exploded in 99s, & what was that "mulk bigaroo karaz sanwaroo".?

@SUPARCO

So , how just long did it take for you to formulate a reply whilst running around in circles again ?

Now , instead of using repeated things without comprehending the other member's post , do me a favor , read my post , understand what I wrote in my lengthy and detailed reply to you , check out the cold hard facts and data presented there and then come back and argue . You would be most welcome then , at the moment , you are just desperately trying to prove something whilst ignoring bitter facts .

I never denied that the first private channel wasn't launched during civilian rule , just that it never had the freedom which the Musharraf administration gave it later .

I never denied that Pakistan didn't start or test its nuclear bomb under civilian rule , just that the military gave it the highest priority always . Check the development after the import of M11 .

I again never denied that Pakistan didn't have a few and to make it clear a few T.V. shutdowns , but isn't it better than restricting the sole private channel during civilian rule to not broadcast its own news and current affairs program and having almost zero tolerance for criticism ? Newspapers were a different matter altogether .

As for the nominal GDP , why are you stubbornly stuck there ? I presented heck loads of data from Musharraf's era , even the new Govt's acknowledgment of his legacy .

I am not really even trying , its just mere copy pasting , my boy but yet better than sticking to some ranking which isn't even clear and going round and round and then asking others to come with ' VALID ' points when you yourself have nothing to present here . Refute the economic data and we will talk . :D

The current government hailed the performance of Pakistan's economy under President Musharraf's watch as follows: "Pakistan's economy witnessed a major economic transformation in the last decade. The country's real GDP increased from $60 billion to $170 billion, with per capita income rising from under $500 to over $1000 during 2000-07". It further acknowledged that "the volume of international trade increased from $20 billion to nearly $60 billion. The improved macroeconomic performance enabled Pakistan to re-enter the international capital markets in the mid-2000s. Large capital inflows financed the current account deficit and contributed to an increase in gross official reserves to $14.3 billion at end-June 2007. Buoyant output growth, low inflation, and the government's social policies contributed to a reduction in poverty and improvement in many social indicators". (see MEFP, November 20, 2008, Para 1)

Economic comparison of Pakistan 1999–2008

1999 2007 2008 2009
GDP Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) $ 270 billion $ 475.5 billion $ 504 billion $ 545.6 billion
Revenue collection Rs. 305 billion Rs. 708 billion Rs. 990 billion Rs. 1.05 trillion
KHI stock exchange (100-Index) $ 5 billion at 700 points $ 75 billion at 14,000 points $ 46 billion at 9,300 points $ 26.5 billion at 9,000 points
Foreign Direct Investment $ 1 billion $ 8.4 billion $ 5.19 billion $ 4.6 billion
External Debt & Liabilities $ 39 billion $ 40.17 billion $ 45.9 billion $ 50.1 billion
Development programmes Rs. 80 billion Rs. 520 billion Rs. 549.7 billion Rs. 621 billion

@SUPARCO

So , how just long did it take for you to formulate a reply whilst running around in circles again ?

Brother Secur, how are you?

I've not seen you for a while. I pray all is well.

Your post is dated Wednesday September 18, 2013. I updated my iPhone's software to iOS 7 around that date which caused delay in my reply.

Apple Support Communities

Now , instead of using repeated things without comprehending the other member's post , do me a favor , read my post , understand what I wrote in my lengthy and detailed reply to you , check out the cold hard facts and data presented there and then come back and argue . You would be most welcome then , at the moment , you are just desperately trying to prove something whilst ignoring bitter facts .

To be honest, I read first half of your gibberish post while briefly read over the remainder.

I never denied that the first private channel wasn't launched during civilian rule , just that it never had the freedom which the Musharraf administration gave it later .

All hail brother Secur.

I never denied that Pakistan didn't start or test its nuclear bomb under civilian rule , just that the military gave it the highest priority always . Check the development after the import of M11 .

All hail brother Secur.

I again never denied that Pakistan didn't have a few and to make it clear a few T.V. shutdowns , but isn't it better than restricting the sole private channel during civilian rule to not broadcast its own news and current affairs program and having almost zero tolerance for criticism ? Newspapers were a different matter altogether .

All hail brother Secur.

As for the nominal GDP , why are you stubbornly stuck there ? I presented heck loads of data from Musharraf's era , even the new Govt's acknowledgment of his legacy .

I am not really even trying , its just mere copy pasting , my boy but yet better than sticking to some ranking which isn't even clear and going round and round and then asking others to come with ' VALID ' points when you yourself have nothing to present here . Refute the economic data and we will talk . :D

Economic comparison of Pakistan 1999–2008

1999 2007 2008 2009

I acknowledge your data and the figures provided. Thank you.

For the second time, which part of my statement you don't understand when I say Pakistan's Nominal GDP ranking dropped from the 43rd position in 1999 to the 48th position by 2008 during the cruel tyrannical military rule in Pakistan? However, under Democratic Pakistan, the Nominal GDP ranking once again increased from the 48th position in 2008 back to the 43rd position by 2013.

Wikipedia | List of countries by past and future GDP (nominal)

Brother Secur, how are you?

To be honest, I read first half of your gibberish post while briefly read over the remainder.

I acknowledge your data and the figures provided. Thank you.

Doing great .

Well , it was anything but gibberish , are you sure you even read it because I saw nothing related to it in your last reply ? Anyways , I will leave it for the audience to decide .

Trust me , I do not even need to argue about the economical condition of Pakistan under this civilian rule - neither from Sharif's previous era nor from the last PPP's one . The common man saw and experienced it just fine . The data , reports and analysis are present proving the great disparity between the two . You are just stubbornly stuck again to nominal GDP rankings whilst ignoring other data , good luck . If you think that Pakistan is going in the right direction today , then I really cant say anything . I am not even sure that you understand economics to argue about some ranking and leave the rest . I left the detailed reply for Musharraf's era economical progression just for that so you can come out from your sole criteria for economy - the nominal GDP ranking . Didn't really help and I am not amongst the one who will keep constantly running around in circles . The real GDP data , PPP , Tax Collection , Foreign Reserves , Stock exchange performance and investment during civilian and military rule is there for you to see .

P.S. I really do not need to learn history of Cold War from you , so stop what was done and who said what . I summarized it in my post which you didn't properly read .

@Armstrong @Dillinger Explain him the bit about the nominal GDP ranking's part .

Doing great .

Explain him the bit about the nominal GDP ranking's part .

In nominal GDP, inflation is not adjusted for. So for Pakistan where inflation is currently at 8.55% it can be misleadng.

Think about it like you put money in a fixed deposit. You have put 100 Rs. But inflation is 5%. Now your 100Rs is worth only 95Rs.

So for you to just maintain that 100rs you need 5% interest YoY.

Now let's use the same example, but with the economy.

So let us say your economy grows at 20%, but, your inflation is at 8% your nominal GDP will be 20%. But, your real gdp will be 12%. So you need the economy to grow at 8% to just maintain the real value.

Of course, now if you are to get into details, there are many more differences. For eg if you are to look at rankings one needs to consider that exchange rates can really change things in the rankings. A better way to do so, will be to compare listing on the basis of PPP (now you can all throw your shoes at me :P)

If you are interested from a fun perspective you should see the Big Mac Index. It is a simple fun way of looking at the economy.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/01/daily-chart-3

Hope this helps.

In nominal GDP, inflation is not adjusted for.

Thanks for the detailed reply , mate :D

As I student of Material Sciences and learning the basics of economics and still stuck on numbers comparison and certain other factors to judge economy , tell me in basic terminology , wouldn't it be then fair to use real GDP as a distinguishing factor ?

tell me in basic terminology , wouldn't it be then fair to use real GDP as a distinguishing factor ?

It depends on what you are looking to see. But compared to nominal GDP, yes real GDP is better.

One more indicator that you can look for in a highly globalised environment is GNP, Gross National Product. In GDP, you get the figure for all products and services with-in a particular country. Which means GDP is a geographical concept. GNP is an ownership concept. So, let's say there is a Pakistani company which has operations in China, through a subsidiary wholly owned by it, then the product and service numbers of the subsidiary company will also be taken as part of Pakistan's GNP.

To take it one step further, you can look for GDP at PPP for comparing different economies. But, if you want to look at living conditions you can see GDP at PPP per capita.

If you want further clarifications, feel free to ask. :)

Back
Top Bottom