What's new

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps - Updated

Photo-2084.JPG

KD-X

KD-X is a new generation of MMW guided long-range fire-and-forget ATGM similar to American AGM-114L. It has a stretched body and a white MMW head seeker. The missile was first shown in a July 2020 video where it was launched from a Z-10A attack helicopter. The subsequent video showed that before the launch the targets were identified and locked by the mast mounted MMW radar on top of a Z-19 scout helicopter within the attacking formation. The target information was then transmitted to Z-10As via datalink. Z-10As were expected to disengage right after the launch since the missiles are fire-and-forget. Besides coordinating with Z-19, Z-10A was speculated to be able to fire KD-X directly using the MMW guidance pod located underneath the missile. KD-X is thought to have evolved from the earlier BA-21 MMW guided ATGM which was first unveiled at the 2016 Zhuhai Airshow and had a range of 18km.
- Last Updated 8/8/20

I think two interesting scenarios that PAA gunships could be facing in a conventional war in future are:
1. Air to air combat (with drones and other helicopters)
2. SEAD/DEAD Ops ( taking out mobile and fixed Air defence assets in armoured warfare in desert or otherwise assisting ground/airborne assault in plains and mountains or PAF Ops, considering that PAF doesn't operate gunships)

I think two interesting scenarios that PAA gunships could be facing in a conventional war in future are:
2. SEAD/DEAD Ops ( taking out mobile and fixed Air defence assets in armoured warfare in desert or otherwise assisting ground/airborne assault in plains and mountains or PAF Ops, considering that PAF doesn't operate gunships)
Heard Z10 ME back in Pak??

Heard Z10 ME back in Pak??
Im more interested how can Signals and Aviation join hands to bring EW capability with mobility in Pakistan Army :azn:

As for your comment, there is a Corps Sized members force on PDF who are always ready to talk weapon acquisition ranging from Assault rifle to Aircraft carrier. You can fill 50 pages in 5 days through input of 20-30 members on Z-10 ME acquisition :enjoy:.

Im more interested how can Signals and Aviation join hands to bring EW capability with mobility in Pakistan Army :azn:

As for your comment, there is a Corps Sized members force on PDF who are always ready to talk weapon acquisition ranging from Assault rifle to Aircraft carrier. You can fill 50 pages in 5 days through input of 20-30 members on Z-10 ME acquisition :enjoy:.
There was a locally modified MI-17 with some new EW gadgets. I wonder what's the current status of that project.

Imagine in both scenarios, this would be one of the very earliest steps, or maybe even a preemptive measure as with IAF's numerical superiority currently, Pakistan's priority would be air defence right?

Imagine in both scenarios, this would be one of the very earliest steps, or maybe even a preemptive measure as with IAF's numerical superiority currently, Pakistan's priority would be air defence right?
I dont expect PAF to show everywhere every time for PA, so its best if PAA has gunships with sufficient electronics and weapon capability to give cover to PA forces. AH-64 and MH-53 in the Gulf war were used to attack Iraqi radar sites. Its reported that Irani AH-1 and Iraqi Mi-35 had duels in 1980's. The Indian AH-64E are employed under IAF, so IAF can use them for different roles and they are capable of carrying air to air armament, while PAA doesnt have an AAM equipped gunship so far in service. Indian also has LCH and Rudra, dont know how effective will they be in combat. There will be usage of UAV and UCAV from both forces. The use of PAA gunships across the border in a conventional war with India is questionable since they will need air cover from PAF where as India has Integrated AD of all ranges and altitudes which will be multi layered to stop air intrusion from Pakistan. Even if PAF operates in Indian skies to give cover to PA forces advancing inside India, they will need to clear the Radar and SAM sites which may threaten them. Indian armored forces will themselves be protected by an umbrella of SAM systems so these will need to be taken out also before PAA Gunships start targeting Indian tanks and IFVs.

I dont expect PAF to show everywhere every time for PA, so its best if PAA has gunships with sufficient electronics and weapon capability to give cover to PA forces. AH-64 and MH-53 in the Gulf war were used to attack Iraqi radar sites. Its reported that Irani AH-1 and Iraqi Mi-35 had duels in 1980's. The Indian AH-64E are employed under IAF, so IAF can use them for different roles and they are capable of carrying air to air armament, while PAA doesnt have an AAM equipped gunship so far in service. Indian also has LCH and Rudra, dont know how effective will they be in combat. There will be usage of UAV and UCAV from both forces. The use of PAA gunships across the border in a conventional war with India is questionable since they will need air cover from PAF where as India has Integrated AD of all ranges and altitudes which will be multi layered to stop air intrusion from Pakistan. Even if PAF operates in Indian skies to give cover to PA forces advancing inside India, they will need to clear the Radar and SAM sites which may threaten them. Indian armored forces will themselves be protected by an umbrella of SAM systems so these will need to be taken out also before PAA Gunships start targeting Indian tanks and IFVs.

Your short summary should open many foolish eyes, which are daily dreaming penetrating India through underestimating the gigantic Indian Military machine. But if you find a hole between the Indian lines without bleeding out tell me!

These scenarios may necessitate a heavyweight like the 10-ton ATAK-2 over the 5-6-ton Z-10ME/ATAK. Basically, you're using that extra power and room to house the added electronics and diversified munitions.

On the first count, the PAA did actually opt for an DRFM/ECM suite with the ATAK (we selected the T129B2, which was to come with the Aselsan HEWS). However, you can probably house more equipment in the ATAK-2, especially in terms of cooling, redundancy, etc.

On the second count, you're going to need to carry more than only ATGMs or 70 mm rockets. Basically, you'll need to carry AAMs, mmW AGMs, and ARM AGMs. You may even need to integrate a mmW radar.

I would love to see if we can pack all of this into the existing T129, but with Turkey's higher output TS1400 engines (instead of LHTEC). So, can we use the extra power to add more weight via electronics (esp. top-rotor mmW radar) and a slightly enhanced weapons payload (go from 8 ATGM to 12 ATGM). This could end up being a lower cost and nearer-term option, one that we can feasibly acquire in larger numbers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom