What's new

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps - Updated

1456802493264.jpg
One Crew Member Killed in Pakistan Army Mi-17 Crash

Posted on 29 February, 2016

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps Mi-172 58628 taxies out at Qasim Army Aviation Base on November 17, 2009. A Pakistan Army Mi-17 crashed today near Tarbela, killing one of the five crew members. AFD-Alan Warnes

A PAKISTAN Army Aviation Corps Mi-17 helicopter crashed today, February 29, following a technical malfunction during a routine night training flight. One crew member, identified as Lt Col Tauqeer, died in the accident.

Four other crew members escaped from the crash, although it was not reported whether any of them had been injured. The helicopter came down near Tarbela, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. AFD-Dave Allport

Posted in News

Last edited:
One Crew Member Killed in Pakistan Army Mi-17 Crash

Posted on 29 February, 2016

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps Mi-172 58628 taxies out at Qasim Army Aviation Base on November 17, 2009. A Pakistan Army Mi-17 crashed today near Tarbela, killing one of the five crew members. AFD-Alan Warnes

A PAKISTAN Army Aviation Corps Mi-17 helicopter crashed today, February 29, following a technical malfunction during a routine night training flight. One crew member, identified as Lt Col Tauqeer, died in the accident.

Four other crew members escaped from the crash, although it was not reported whether any of them had been injured. The helicopter came down near Tarbela, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. AFD-Dave Allport

Posted in News
It's time to slowly start replacing our MI-17 they have started to become our flying coffins. I know about the budget issue don't tell me about that but we have to start it soon. We are loosing precious brave harts

It's time to slowly start replacing our MI-17 they have started to become our flying coffins. I know about the budget issue don't tell me about that but we have to start it soon. We are loosing precious brave harts

Not too many affordable options out there. It's either more Mi17s or go to the used market, upgrade and use

Agreed, i think we should gradually start inducting newer types. Even if they can get 3-5 helicopters on yearly basis, it won't effect much the budget issues and in a few years time old platforms will be replaced.

India started inducting nearly 150 MI-17s from 2008 in two contracts and this month they received the last batch. So in 7-8 years time period they got 150 new helicopters.

Not too many affordable options out there. It's either more Mi17s or go to the used market, upgrade and use

Sir, Mi-17s have been excellent for us. Newer Mi-17s are a good option, i think we should stick with the type and keep getting them on yearly basis in low numbers such that we cover our loses and replace older ones too.

Agreed, i think we should gradually start inducting newer types. Even if they can get 3-5 helicopters on yearly basis, it won't effect much the budget issues and in a few years time old platforms will be replaced.

India started inducting nearly 150 MI-17s from 2008 in two contracts and this month they received the last batch. So in 7-8 years time period they got 150 new helicopters.

Sir, Mi-17s have been excellent for us. Newer Mi-17s are a good option, i think we should stick with the type and keep getting them on yearly basis in low numbers such that we cover our loses and replace older ones too.

we are doing exactly that. buying new Mi17s from Russia and Ukraine in batches of 6 to 10. I have no issues with the type.

I think the PAA might consider supplementing the Mi-17 and Mi-171s. There are quite a few Pumas and old Hueys that will be in need of replacing, but I don't think the PAA can do much about them until Pakistan's financial situation changes gears. That said, the Chinese Z-20 and Z-15 could be interesting options.

we are doing exactly that. buying new Mi17s from Russia and Ukraine in batches of 6 to 10. I have no issues with the type.

Sir, since you have contacts in Navy, can you find how is the performance of those Z-9s ? If they have been performing not badly, then i think we can go for chinese options in future once their platforms jointly developed with european firms come online.

I don't doubt chinese platforms much, as we hardly hear news of their helicopters coming down. Their usage is heavy, so if fewer helis are coming down, it means they are reliable enough.

Sir, since you have contacts in Navy, can you find how is the performance of those Z-9s ? If they have been performing not badly, then i think we can go for chinese options in future once their platforms jointly developed with european firms come online.

I don't doubt chinese platforms much, as we hardly hear news of their helicopters coming down. Their usage is heavy, so if fewer helis are coming down, it means they are reliable enough.

Navy is happy with the Z9EC ASW helos. Taken some load off the larger Seakings.
Plans may be afoot to upgrade to Z9D configuration to carry the Y9 ASM (l think).

The new Z-9D anti-ship variant prototype is shown here. Based on Z-9C, Z-9D was developed to carry up to 4 AShMs under a pair of detachable stub wings against small surface targets. The missile could be the new YJ-9, which may have been evolved from the earlier TL-10B developed by Hongdu. TL-10B is a light, radar-guided anti-ship missile used against smaller FACs and gun boats (<1,000t). Its range is 15km, speed is Mach 0.85 and its warhead weighs 30kg.

@HRK @fatman17

What's the status of our AH-1 Cobra fleet? Remaining service life? Any replacement or upgradation plans that you're aware of?

Returned to China and no deal for now.
really? there were on the defence.pk twitter page not to long ago. i cant find the pic but it was of a z10 taking off in the background and a guy in a car in the forground taking a picture of it.

Back
Top Bottom