What's new

Pakistan And India-Water Disputes-News And Updates

only
6%used India for irrigation & other work

Ganga still our major source of water

Brahmaputra basin is the only water excess basin in India. China can not do much harm there.

But Think of INDUS rivers, only basin Pakistan has !

If India sneezes on INDUS Water, whole Pakistan would catch pneumonia.

Brahmaputra basin is the only water excess basin in India. China can not do much harm there.

But Think of INDUS rivers, only basin Pakistan has !

If India sneezes on INDUS Water, whole Pakistan would catch pneumonia.
Brahmaputra basin cover few parts of irrigation that can be covered basically Water we gain from stopping Indus flow to Pakistan will be thrice of what brahmaputra catchment is for India so we will gain more than what we loose

The people elect their leaders based on many factors, economic promise being the most important one,not just the foreign policy of the nation or their response to a terrorist attack only!

See my point is that India unlike Pakistan has a fair number of diplomatic and economic cards it can play before we mess with our trump card aka water.
If we as a nation are going to use our trumps without exhausting our other options, then I believe it will be a short sighted policy not based in real politik.
In fact I'm of the belief that water is a contentious issue and will actually turn public opinion (international) against us. We need to tread carefully.

Again, that's my opinion, you don't have to subscribe to it. I respect your views and opinions on the matter as killing 18 of our soldiers isn't something to take lightly, so I understand where you're coming from.

What do you suggest that we do? As a part of Tamil nadu dependent on Karnataka and Kerala for water, we very much understand the water problems, especially farmers. But Karnataka or Kerala does not send suicide missions inside TN just cos SC ruled against them nor has TN done so.

This is the only soft approach we can take. Threaten Pakistan until it changes it ways. What will the international community do? Sanction Pakistan? They know very well, that sanctioning Pakistan is like letting goose in the wild, not able to be tamed with N weapons and its security.

So War? India has traditionally not imposed war on anyone in its course of history. And India will lose its moral high ground by going to war too.

As mentioned before, Pakistan was silent till IWT happened in 1960. After that, its history. Its double impossible for anyone crossing Pakistani side of LoC without Pakistani soldiers knowing or guiding them. How do we stop it? Any solutions?

The point about the Indus is you can't do squat. Your question marks show me you need to read up more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghaghara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandaki_River

Oh look, Tibet again. Don't talk just do it, I really want to see how far you get.

You are assuming that as a response to our rescinding of IWT China would block every trans border river. The reality is that we don't have any formal water sharing agreement with China, so scrapping of IWT would actually make things even. Keep in mind that it does not mean we would stop water to Pakistan. It just means that we won't have a formal agreement which would give us leverage during wartime.

Yaar you Indians talk too much, seriously.

Like the "Dehati Aurat" Zardari was calling you.

Do it man, grow a pair and do it!

Don't be so upset dear, this time we will surely going to give you some drought....I promise. Have you seen how Baluchistan has been in the news lately....more to come.

Now cheers....:)

Not gonna happen....IWT will remain like this until there is a very serious situation.

Scrapping the treaty is reneging on our international commitment. We are free to bring our genuine concerns with the treaty to be renegotiated. Nevertheless making unilateral decisions on moving from the 80-20 split to deny the due right of water to Pakistani population is unfair.
I have been amply clear that I am not recommending that we do this at the cost of the nation or the people.

There is an obvious difference. The average joe in Pakistan wants to enjoy a peaceful existence like their Indian counterparts. I do not take my cues from PDF or the extremist crop in Pakistan. The average Pakistani has done nothing wrong to India. It is the policy of the state, govt. and army that has caused India harm and I'm not going to hold the entire Pakistani population responsible for the actions of their political and military elite.
Or are you suggesting that every Indian civilian has a say in crafting the policies of our government and should be held responsible for it?

In all the wars we fought, in all the terrorists attacks we suffered...did the foreign military or terrorists came to kill only those 'responsible' for the state policies?? Does Pakistan has a policy to ensure that in all the wars and terrorist attacks the common people of India do not suffer? Come to economic sanctions, does it ensure that common people of the country being sanctioned do not suffer? In a bitter enmity between two states no one does segregation between the people & the ones in power to ensure that people don't suffer...how would you do that?....What are you suggesting in case of another war with Pakistan, that we keep our military inactive to save the 'average joe' in Pakistan, and give free pass to Pak army? Just trying to understand your thought process..............

Making the Kashmiris addicted to water? What the hell are you talking about

What you are suggesting is water wars sunny (note: some of your own rivers originate from outside india)

Diverting or messing with the tributaries of a major river system is a act of war all all of which is well within the range of Pakistan offensive capabilities and missile targets

And unlike you we will respond we don't have to have a water treaty to understand the stupidity of trying to damage river systems which have run for thousands of years

But all this is b.s simply because you indian's dont have the balls to screw around with the river system

Indian water is safe in Chinese hands ........ china is a mature nation and we can rely on them not to provoke India. (unless we attempt to free Tibet). So these are empty threats, EVEN when a chinese makes them.

There already IS war, so its not like I am suggesting something radical :cheesy: ....... its just another extension and effect of your policy of state sponsored terrorism. In case you still haven't figured out, India is ITCHING for a war. We would want nothing better than for a weak pakistan to attack us. That is what you are offering to us, its a GIFT for India. EVERYBODY in India will welcome it :lol:

Unlike in the past, there will be NO generous treaty between us the next time. No more lands being given back or free water.

So far Indians were decent enough to not fcuk pakistan, but now the gloves are off. The fun is about to start. Enjoy the ride, for I am pretty sure almost ALL Indians will. Courtesy your state sponsored terrorism.

Not gonna happen....IWT will remain like this until there is a very serious situation.

Its already happening.

The very Fact that the Indian govt. official spokesperson Chose to SPEAK upon the IWT shows the seriousness of intent. We have officially said that the IWT is under reconsideration.

Which means its now an official leverage to be used appropriately. Same as Baluchistan independence.

Last edited:
nothing can be done about Indus waters. we can generate electricity which we are doing.

The Brahmaputra, Ganga get most of water from catchment areas within India.
Most of tibet is a desert for good reason

india does not get much water from tibet. can china build dams ?? yes. can they use the dammed water ? no
india is in same position on Indus river. 300,000 people live in Ladakh and Kargil in Indus river walley. with the winters they have there is not much use for the water

what percent of the brahmaputra water comes from tibet ??
Brahmaputra has 8 major tributary rivers and around 20 minor tributaries....Most of them originates within India, some in Bhutan and very few in Tibet. 70-80% water in Brahmaputra is from Indian tributaries.

12 pages of stupidity from the hindutva brigade

The water is for the indus its as simple as that

You dont have the balls to attack Pakistan, but Pakistan will respond with full right of international law behind us if the tributaries of a major world river system are interfered with

And ably contributed to by members from neighbouring country who have similar thoughts would you not agree?

Its already happening.

The very Fact that the Indian govt. official spokesperson Chose to SPEAK upon the IWT shows the seriousness of intent. We have official said that the IWT is under reconsideration.

Which means its now an official leverage to be used appropriately. Same as Baluchistan independence.
But why? Why are we dragging from international treaty at this moment? this will look like a retaliatory effect. Well, on second thought, when Pakistan can drag its feet from Lahore and SHimla agreement then I dont blame current government on this as well. But i still believe it is just to put pressure.

But why? Why are we dragging from international treaty at this moment? this will look like a retaliatory effect. Well, on second thought, when Pakistan can drag its feet from Lahore and SHimla agreement then I dont blame current government on this as well. But i still believe it is just to put pressure.

You have answered your own question, Simla Agreement is ALSO an international treaty. Do you see pakistan respecting that ?

For now the statement is to warn pakistan, but it also demonstrates our intention to be HARD on pakistan.

One of the best things about scrapping the IWT is that Kashmir can now get an UNLIMITED supply of water throughout the year. This is not the case today.

So once that Genie is out of the bottle, it will be impossible to put it back. The more pressure pakistan puts on kashmir to release more water, the more kashmir will need India. The more pakistan will hate kashmir.

If the pakistanis thought 'hindoos' are ruthless, they would really enjoy it when Islamic kashmir gets hold of Indus water. Unlike India, Kashmir will BlackMail pakistan with impunity. Then watch the 'islamic brotherhood' implode like in the M.E :P

Stopping the water supply, how? The Indus originates in China. Oh by the way, it's Chinese Tibet which also feeds many Indian rivers. The reason I'm mentioning all this is because if India plays water wars, then the gloves will really come off.
Kudos to the Indian posters who said the idea was stupid, it is. Water wars, good luck with that, maybe the posters in favour can find new sources when the proverbial mess hits the fan in terms of retaliation.

https://chellaney.net/2016/08/06/securing-the-indus-treaty/

https://chellaney.net/2016/08/19/rivers-of-conflict-between-india-and-pakistan/

I think these articles answer most of the queries you raised .

to all the left wing indian scums , we are not saying water should be completely diverted to india ,we are saying that water should be shared 50:50 . the current ratio is 20:80 .

poll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom