What's new

Pak leader moots common currency for India and Pakistan

Che Guevara

Reaction score
LAHORE: Over 1,200 items on the negative list regime for trade with India will be withdrawn in December and the time has come for the two countries to think of introducing a common currency to boost trade, ruling Pakistan People's Party leader Jehangir Badr has said.

"Precisely 1,209 items on the negative list of trade with India will be withdrawn by December," Badr said while addressing a Pakistan-India Media Conference at the Lahore Press Club yesterday.

The time has come for Pakistan and India to think of introducing a common currency for countering the pressure of the US dollar, British pound and Euro and to boost bilateral trade, he said.

Around 40 Indian journalists, who are in Pakistan for a three-day visit, attended the conference jointly arranged by the Lahore Press Club, Chandigarh Press Club and the Press Club of India in New Delhi.

Badr, who is part of a parliamentary-level peace dialogue between the two countries, mentioned how the PPP and its governments had been trying to improve relations with India.

Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira, who also addressed the gathering, said peace between India and Pakistan is very important and both countries were actively engaged at different levels in this regard.

Pak leader moots common currency for India and Pakistan - The Economic Times

lol-045.gif
lol-047.gif
lol-045.gif

In due course, hopefully there will be a common currency for the entire South Asian bloc. I wonder whether India will be willing to bite the bullet and join in on that proposal
That will be in our favor, recall German position in the EU is similar to ours in the SAARC region !

Thanks .

But no thanks.

Besides other reasons...The ISI shall then have to make no effort to make counterfeits , there will be no ways to check its influx either.

Who benefit more from common currency..I think richer country...
In this case IND, more specifically the one that has a stronger currency yet again it'd be us in SAARC !

Thanks .

But no thanks.

Besides other reasons...The ISI shall then have to make no effort to make counterfeits , there will be no ways to check its influx either.
In case of a common currency PAK will stand to loose alot more if they continue with the same strategy not us !

In case of a common currency PAK will stand to loose alot more if they continue with the same strategy not us !

It doesn't bother ppl inside Pak that they are ruining their nation now.

Think it will matter then ?

No one thinks beyond their immediate gain.

In due course, hopefully there will be a common currency for the entire South Asian bloc. I wonder whether India will be willing to bite the bullet and join in on that proposal

What is in there for India? I will be surprised if even India consider such proposal.

A common currency for South East Asia is actually a jolly good idea... Though it will help India more by allowing us to have a common currency with weaker economies and thus devaluation will increase our competitiveness (what happens with Germany in EU, it becomes more stronger but also gives access to its own markets, which helps economies and workers like Poland flourish)... and for weaker/smaller economies, it opens a huge market to trade in a tax barrier-less world and as long as the finance ministers of the economies are strong, it will become a great market for the world to envy and will make wars irrelevant... That; to me, is the biggest advantage... You become intertwined with the successes and failure of your neighbor.... Look at Europe, they fought for centuries and millennia and since formation of EU, there has not been a single stone thrown at each other and one has to remember, they have much bitter histories, even bitter than Ind-Pak or India-China

A great idea; though I am not sure if it's time has come as yet - in the middle of our rhetoric filled politics... But, one day, in future, this idea has to happen... It is not a question of 'if', but 'when'... my 2 cents!

It is not possible as of now..

The what about fake currencies floating in india....

What is in there for India? I will be surprised if even India consider such proposal.

Jade, you can't fight the economic sense in such an Idea... It helps India as much as it helps a Pakistan or a Bangladesh or Srilanka... A trade bloc gives you a stronger position and a competitive position and above all, given our context, it will eventually make wars and terrorism irrelevant... Rhetoric and religion based division can not fight good economics... It has been establish across the world... Look at Europe... It is the biggest and shiniest example of it... This IDEA is the ULTIMATE reality...

It is not possible as of now..

The what about fake currencies floating in india....

If it is a joint currency, fake currency is as much as pakistan's problem as it is India's problem... that is the key! common successes and failures...

That is just wrt to the potential impact on us(or the lack of it) nothing to do with the fact that they'll continue chopping their own hands/legs until it eventually stops if ever !

Back
Top Bottom