What's new

PAF to get eight new F-16

AliFarooq

Reaction score
DAWN.COM | Pakistan | PAF to get eight new F-16 jets by June 2010: Qamar

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman has said that the country will get eight new F-16 fighter jets by June 2010.

The Air Chief Marshal said that after the induction of hi-tech Saab-2000 Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&CS) aircraft in the Pakistan Air Force (PAF), the country’s frontiers have become more secure.

In an exclusive interview with DawnNews, the air chief said that the PAF was in the process of getting more advanced weapons which would significantly enhance its capability.—DawnNews

:pakistan::pakistan:

I think we were getting 18?.or it means that first 8 in june then rest of them later..right.?

DAWN.COM | Sci-Tech | Early warning aircraft inducted into PAF

ISLAMABAD / ATTOCK: Pakistan Air Force (PAF) took a major step forward in transforming itself into a modern force by inducting the first Saab-2000 Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) Aircraft into its fleet.

The ERIEYE radar system mounted on a turboprop aircraft will enable the PAF to detect all aircraft taking off from and landing at all forward Indian airbases adjacent to Pakistan and also to identify the type of aircraft, their weapons systems, vector and altitude.

The radar capabilities and range of the system enable the operator to receive an early warning in case of pre-emptive attacks from across the border.

Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman was the chief guest at the induction ceremony at PAF’s Minhas Airbase in Kamra. The ceremony was attended by the Swedish ambassador.

Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar said PAF’s long-standing requirement for airborne early warning capability had been met with the induction of the Swedish surveillance system which would make air defence more effective and bring about a major change in its operational concept and employment.

With the induction of the AEW&C aircraft, the PAF has become one of a few forces in the world to have an airborne early warning and control capability.

The air chief assured the nation that the PAF would not spare any effort to make the defence of the country impregnable.

The induction of Saab-2000, he said, would help counter any threat to the country’s sovereignty.

Talking to reporters after the ceremony, he said the aircraft had the capability to detect anything moving in the air, including drones.

He said the PAF would get three more AEW&C aircraft in 2010 under a $866 million deal.

He said Pakistan would also start receiving four IL-76 AEW&C aircraft from China in 2011.

He said negotiations were under way with China for J-10 fighter jets.

He said Pakistan would get 18 Block-52 F-16s from the US by July 2010 and ground to air missiles from Italy by the end of the year.

He said the first squadron of JF-17 Thunder planes would be operational by June.

Swedish Ambassador Ulrika Sundberg said the ERIEYE offered solutions to secure timely flows of information and protect infrastructure. She said Saab’s was one of the most advanced surveillance systems in the world and could serve both military and civilian purposes.

The system could be a force enabler as well as multiplier in efforts to ensure security and stability, she said.

“It is the result of very innovative thinking by both parties on how surveillance systems can contribute to enhancing overall human security, not only in Pakistan and the region, but also worldwide.”

She praised the professional insight of PAF officers involved in the project and the valuable inputs given by them towards the development of the system.

Saab’s Executive Vice-President Dan Ake Enstedt and the Chief Project Director of project Horizon, Air Commodore Perci Edul Virjee, also spoke.

The aircraft was placed on display on the occasion.

Ohhh.F16s F16s when will we move from this ancient fighter.

can you give PAF zardari money :pop:

Then we will buy a Rafale(my personal favorite)

You can also tell PAF whats your favorite & boom it will land in Pak next day :disagree:

I concur. Time has come to move on and invest in reliable and sanction-proof hardware. US hardware is the best, but comes with too many strings attached. It has always served as a bait against Pakistan. The military establishment has been bribed with so-called lucrative deals. It's high time that we learnt lessons from the era of sanctions. Have we already forgotten the soya bean incident? Additionally, I don't believe that whatever the F-16s offer is something that the Chinese cannot offer. On the contrary, thus far the Chinese have proven that they are fully capable of delivering the goods. I understand the love for the F-16s which indeed are lethal and proven platforms. However, it would be wiser to distance as much as possible from US hardware. Let's also not ignore the restrictions applied by the US for the end-use monitoring of the F-16s. PAF must adhere to US constraints such as stockpile management practices, ability to comply with US storage and use restrictions and requirements, and US end-use monitoring of defense articles exported to Pakistan.

Last edited:
F16/52 will be the best most combat proven platformin PAF service.

The amraam equipped F16 will give the SU30MKI a real fright.

We havent got rid from our ancesters time Aircrafts like mirage and F-7 yet.Getting rid from F 16 is very far.

F 16 will be only replaced by Jxx(my personal thinking).till Jxx comes we have to go with it ,and indeed F 16 is a great Aircraft.

F16/52 will be the best most combat proven platformin PAF service.

The amraam equipped F16 will give the SU30MKI a real fright.

Like as if the US will allow that to happen. The deal comes with hefty strings. The Indians have been rest assured.

The deal states that PAF must comply with the approved security plans for their F-16-related bases and facilities before the US release any systems in the sale. The US will have a presence to monitor compliance with the security plan requirements, a very enhanced and end-use monitoring programme. Routine access to F-16 aircraft equipment and munitions is in restricted areas and limited to Pakistan air force personnel that are pre-approved for such. There is a two-man rule, so to speak, for access to this equipment and restricted areas, and F-16 flights outside of Pakistan must be approved in advance by the United States government etc. Not a wise move to trade off your sovereignty for a few F-16s in my opinion. I'd rather see this money spent on a JV with China for a 5th gen fighter such as J-XX.

Last edited:
can you give PAF zardari money

You can also tell PAF whats your favorite & boom it will land in Pak next day

Well unfortunately i wished i could give you zardari money then PAF could get Rafale but i cant.Well my favorite would be Raptor.

concur. Time has come to move on and invest in reliable and sanction-proof hardware. US hardware is the best, but comes with too many strings attached. It has always served as a bait against Pakistan. The military establishment has been bribed with so-called lucrative deals. It's high time that we learnt lessons from the era of sanctions. Have we already forgotten the soya bean incident? Additionally, I don't believe that whatever the F-16s offer is something that the Chinese cannot offer. On the contrary, thus far the Chinese have proven that they are fully capable of delivering the goods. I understand the love for the F-16s which indeed are lethal and proven platforms. However, it would be wiser to distance as much as possible from US hardware. Let's also not ignore the restrictions applied by the US for the end-use monitoring of the F-16s. PAF must adhere to US constraints such as stockpile management practices, their ability to comply with US storage and use restrictions and requirements, and US end-use monitoring of defense articles exported to Pakistan.

well i am glad some one agreed but still the problem is $$$.about which i did not thought in my previous post.

We havent got rid from our ancesters time Aircrafts mirage and F-7 yet.Getting rid from F 16 is very far.

i think Israel had mirage by1962.so well it's from the time of fathers of our ancestors.

Someone asked when TAI will finish the upgrade of Pakistani F16's. I couldn't find back the related topic where the question was asked therefor I answer it in this F16 topic.

On 29 july 2009 in Rawalpindi Pakistan airforce and TAI signed a $75mln agreement to upgrade (“Falcon-up”, “Falcon Star” and “Mid Life Upgrade” (MLU)) 42 PAF F16's. The modification works for the F16's will start in Oktober 2010 and take 46 months in total.

can you give PAF zardari money :pop:

You can also tell PAF whats your favorite & boom it will land in Pak next day :disagree:

If nawaz sharif,musharaf,chaudhry shujjat and altaf will give some money to PAF then

we can buy some F-35 too(my personal favourite):smokin:

Back
Top Bottom