What's new

PAF successfully test-fires indigenously developed long-range smart weapon from JF-17 Thunder

Perhaps, but the speed isn't the issue, it's the trajectory. The REK seems to cut straight to the target, but this 'black box' made a terminal stage correction. I don't know if a pure GPS/INS system like REK would do that so close to the target, but I can see that correction in an EO/TV system.

@JamD on that note, it could be an evolution of the REK wherein, like the SPICE, AWC could have integrated an EO/TV element to the REK suite. In effect, this would give the JF-17 a system similar to the H-2/H-4 and direct counterpart to the SPICE.

You call it speculation. I call it, "for Pakistanis, the meaning of life itself."
Whats the difference between REK and H-2? Arent they both glide bombs just different manufacturers?

The jitter you are talking about is just the black box jittering because some guy manually placed it every 10 frames or something and interpolated. I looked at the video closely, the actual weapon that you can see behind it, does not jitter or anything of that sort.

If this is from an official source then this confirms that this is not the REK, based on the use of the words extended range.
In 2017 they built the avionics and firmware for JF-17 to enable it to carry smart /glide bombs
Now integrating different types

The jitter you are talking about is just the black box jittering because some guy manually placed it every 10 frames or something and interpolated. I looked at the video closely, the actual weapon that you can see behind it, does not jitter or anything of that sort.

If this is from an official source then this confirms that this is not the REK, based on the use of the words extended range.
I was following the figure in the box.

Whats the difference between REK and H-2? Arent they both glide bombs just different manufacturers?
REK is something you can fit to Mk-80-series general purpose bombs, but the H-2 and H-4 are a complete package with heavy warhead, guidance suite, and in case of H-4, a rocket booster.

May turn out to be the Denel Raptor III, with a local designation.

Long-range-Raptor-III-goes-on-display-_AAD143_.jpg

Raptor I / II are already in PAF service as H-2 / H-4.

Pak Armed forces have kept the missile's identification secret by shadowing the picture of the missile in the video released of the test.
By looking at the video, it doesn't appeared to be Cruise Missile Raad.
It is smaller, probably LR AGM.

The descend, trajectory, flight profile, all indicate that it is REK on an Mk-82, as Bilal Khan mentioned.

That is the point;
The trajectory.

PAF censored the picture of the bomb, because releasing it may lead the enemy to understand it.

PAF used a live bomb, and released the after image; which implies they wanted the enemy to know of the potential.

Okay, I will tell you guys a little bit more.

The crater suggest this is not just a Mk80 series, but a Kinetic energy penetrator or bunker buster in your speak. Hence the celebration. The development of KEPs (let alone an accurate REK) is a big feat for Pakistan. The shockwave gives it away that the bomb is penetrating before exploding, hence the blast magnification, and plume shape dividing to east and west.

If this has been achieved in the package of a Mk82, its a big feat, as it will ensure that large amount of weapons can be released to engage HVTs in hardened pens.

Back
Top Bottom