What's new

PAF interested in L-159 ALCA?

Quwa

Research Partner
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The following article has the Pakistani ambassador to the Czech Republic mentioning the L-159 ALCA (Advanced Light Combat Aircraft) as an issue for talks between the Czech and Pakistani governments.

Could be an intriguing acquisition for LIFT and CAS requirements.

The Pakistani defence minister is to visit Prague to discuss closer cooperation with the Czech military. One of the issues might be the sale of the Czech L-159 subsonic combat aircraft, Altaf said.

Pakistan still deals with Czech women's abduction | Prague Monitor

3mC1kGl.jpg

fOMAkLT.jpg

oQectKt.jpg

The U.S. government recently banned the Czech Republic to conduct the sale of six combat aircraft L-159 to Bolivia .But the United States, which has not been in the best relations with the Government of Bolivia in recent months, canceled the operation on the grounds that these aircraft have lots of equipment and parts manufactured in the country , according to a Bolivia greeter.
AirVoila : Gobierno de Estados Unidos Prohíbe a la República Checa la Venta de Aviones de Combate a Bolivia

Last edited:

Here are my guesses:

1. As the PAF fleet transitions from mostly F-7s and Mirages to JF-17s and F-16s, there's a need to have a lead-in-fighter-trainer (LIFT) system more suitable for training pilots who will begin their careers flying advanced multi-role fighters. All rookie PAF pilots will have to become accustomed to things such as BVR, precision strike, HMD/S, etc. from the onset of their flying careers, as opposed to being selected amongst a few several years down the line.

2. The PAF is looking for a committed CAS and aerial counter-insurgency platform, the L-159 ALCA seems to be fit the bill comfortably. It does seem to be amongst the cheaper aircraft in its class (e.g. M-346, T-50, etc). In fact, the air intakes are above the wings, indicating that the platform was designed from the onset to be a durable and effective ground attack fighter.

In the long-run, the K-8 can serve as PAF's basic and intermediate jet trainer, but L-159 (or other similar aircraft) could serve for LIFT/fighter conversion and close air support and COIN.

i doubt that the PAF will go for this....they are committed to the K-8 as their LIFT and then have OCU's for their various types (F-16B/D, Mirage, FT-7PG etc). if at all they would go for the chinese L-15 if the K-8 dosnt meet their future needs. plus a lot of emphasis is being laid on simulator trainings for their pilots. ok its not the same as real flying, but why change a system that seems to work....

i doubt that the PAF will go for this....they are committed to the K-8 as their LIFT and then have OCU's for their various types (F-16B/D, Mirage, FT-7PG etc). if at all they would go for the chinese L-15 if the K-8 dosnt meet their future needs. plus a lot of emphasis is being laid on simulator trainings for their pilots. ok its not the same as real flying, but why change a system that seems to work....
They're using the simulators to convert pilots onto JF-17, I'm not sure if they're already being used to train new pilots from K-8 directly.

I would rather we put money in our JF-17 Dual seat Trainer than pay 17 Million USD for this piece of Junk from Czech Republic.

Secondly, I would rather buy Attack Helicopters for fighting Insurgents and CAS missions which are much more effective than slow speed jets that are sitting ducks for enemy fire. With Helicopters you can bring them down to terrain level and use terrain to protect the Helicopter.

Last edited:
Karakorum?:undecided:

My guess is if this thing is true then its perhaps for enhanced training for pilots before they go on to platforms like jft, f-7,f-7pg and vipers . And the real reason to me is that if bought it will be used for COIN ops it seems perfect for that but who knows how true the news is and what will come out of it who knows .. but I like the aircraft packs a punch for a small aircraft .

My guess is if this thing is true then its perhaps for enhanced training for pilots before they go on to platforms like jft, f-7,f-7pg and vipers . And the real reason to me is that if bought it will be used for COIN ops it seems perfect for that but who knows how true the news is and what will come out of it who knows .. but I like the aircraft packs a punch for a small aircraft .

May ALLAH sure us all. K-8 is far superior to it and PAC needs to reposition its front landing gear to retracts inwards to house a better radar in the nose cone and also make some space in the fuselage to have 21mm/23mm single barrel canon instead of external one.

More over, I would really like to see PAC welcoming Libya and Algeria to be partner in K-8 Block-II to have DSI, Composite, Better range and payload.

For LIFT @TOPGUN PAC will be soon having a JF-17 dual seat and in the mean time FT-7P/PGs along with Mirages dual seat will be enough.

Although PAC should try to concentrate more and more on producing Super Mushak, K-8s and JF-17s Block-IIs and marketing it in Muslim countries along with South America and Africa.

Who should sell their 25% rights to Jordan and Algeria ?

And Why ?
If PAC is not interested in continuing K-8s. But I think they are....

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom