What's new

PAF Celebrating Mirage Golden Jubilee

Notice the newly installed position of FLIR in the night attack Mirages.

View attachment 720384

This is an ex Libyan Mirage VDE. Here is another picture of it.I stand corrected, four of them were put back in service
20210226_171533.jpg

I mistook it for 67-116. What you were mentioning is still not a FLIR.

The ROSE I machines featured a head-up display (HUD), "hands on throttle & stick (HOTAS)" controls, a modernized cockpit layout, a modernized navigation system with an inertial unit and GPS satellite system receiver, defensive countermeasures systems, plus a FIAR Grifo M multimode radar. They were then followed by a batch of 39 AA hand-me-down Mirage 5 machines updated by SAGEM to the "ROSE II" and "ROSE III" configurations. The primary change in ROSE II was addition of a "forward looking infrared (FLIR)" imager and a laser rangefinder in a fairing under the cockpit, coupled to a low-level flight system and targeting system; the Grifo M radar was not fitted, these machines being optimized for the low-level night attack role. ROSE III was similar, but had improved avionics. The Pakistanis also kitted at least some of their Mirages with inflight refueling probes.

The ROSE I machines featured a head-up display (HUD), "hands on throttle & stick (HOTAS)" controls, a modernized cockpit layout, a modernized navigation system with an inertial unit and GPS satellite system receiver, defensive countermeasures systems, plus a FIAR Grifo M multimode radar. They were then followed by a batch of 39 AA hand-me-down Mirage 5 machines updated by SAGEM to the "ROSE II" and "ROSE III" configurations. The primary change in ROSE II was addition of a "forward looking infrared (FLIR)" imager and a laser rangefinder in a fairing under the cockpit, coupled to a low-level flight system and targeting system; the Grifo M radar was not fitted, these machines being optimized for the low-level night attack role. ROSE III was similar, but had improved avionics. The Pakistanis also kitted at least some of their Mirages with inflight refueling probes.

Dear I know this very well. All the ROSE upgraded Mirages are used by CCS,7,25 and 27 squadrons while the non-upgraded Mirages like IIIRP,VPA,VDE,VDR,PA-2/3 and IIIEL are used by 8,15 and 22 squadrons.

The FLIR fairing underneath the forward fuselage in ROSE II and III is completely different from the doppler navigation fitted in VPA2/3 and Libyan VDE series.

Notice the FLIR on this ROSE II aircraft.

FB_IMG_1606405364923.jpg

PAF should stop wasting money on OLD machine, Try to get European or russian variant in replace of mirages.

PAF should stop wasting money on OLD machine, Try to get European or russian variant in replace of mirages.
European - Yes/Maybe
Russian - No thank you.

We've dealt with Americans & their treachery one too many times (Pressler Amendment).

Last thing we want is 2.0 version of its kind from the Russian. When comes to these kind of things, the're both cut out of the same cloth.

European - Yes/Maybe
Russian - No thank you.

We've dealt with Americans & their treachery one too many times (Pressler Amendment).

Last thing we want is 2.0 version of its kind from the Russian. When comes to these kind of things, the're both cut out of the same cloth.
The mirage can still go strong with strong upgrade to the Engine and using up half of the fleet for cannibalizations, I have said it once and I will say it a hundred more times there is a replacement for the at that is the JF-17B but honestly the replacement for our Mirage is another Mirage.

Last edited:
there is literally nothing available that can replace them

they will be in show for next 10 years

jf17 and j10s will not replace them but compliment them

B993E86B-D197-4556-B433-369AD32F999A.jpeg

So I had asked about mirage 5 not getting a radar and I was told the m
Nose of mirage 3 is bigger and can accommodate a radar but 5 has smaller so perhaps only flir on most

Grifo M was for Mirage but Leonardo had develop Grifo M5 or5 for mirage 5 but paf never adopted it, the difference was antenna size and Shape

B993E86B-D197-4556-B433-369AD32F999A.jpeg

The mirage can still go strong with strong upgrade to the Engine and using up half of the fleet for cannibalizations, I have said it once and I will say it a hundred more times there is a replacement for the at that is the JF-17B but honestly the replacement for our Mirage is another Mirage.

The replacement for PAF's mirages is not another Mirage, but a Delta wing platform with Canards. That leaves you with the J10C if you want something mature now, or a new home grown variant as part of Azm..... the other options are Rafale, or the Gripen..

Mirages have served their time very well for the PAF and it is now time to put them out to pasture.

Given how many times PAF/PAC has re-built these Mirages, repaired them and the facilties that it has to support the Mirages, if PAF valued them "soooo" much, then why have they not build brand new airframes to continue the usage of this platform into the future ?? It is simple, even they see the end of the utility of this platform and are actively planning its replacement.

Since the Mirage 3/5, the French have built the Mirage F1, Mirage 2000 and the Rafale as replacements for that lineage. That is how old a design it is ..

Sad that our honourable President was posing right in front of one of the swift retort stars.

1614517798790.png

Back
Top Bottom