Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzbot

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PAF cadet to join USAF Academy

ISLAMABAD: Aviation Cadet Mahhad Nayyer of the Pakistan Air Force Academy Risalpur is one of the 19 international cadets selected worldwide to attend the US Air Force (USAF) Academy.

Mahhad received an appointment to the USAF Academy class of 2014 during a presentation ceremony held at the US embassy here. US Navy Vice Admiral Michael LeFever, the US defence representative to Pakistan, presented Aviation Cadet Nayyer with his appointment letter and congratulated him on his outstanding achievement.

Addressing the ceremony, Vice Adm LeFever said that Cadet Nayyer was one of only 19 international cadets worldwide selected to attend the USAF Academy. “This is a truly impressive accomplishment and a testament to the calibre of the type of military officers the Pakistan Air Force produces,” he said.

Nayyer will become one of more than 4,000 students who will receive an accredited Bachelor of Science degree after an intensive four-year curriculum of study at the USAF Academy.

PAF cadet to join USAF Academy

If you don't mind me asking, what would have been the criteria for such selections? I'm just curious why he was the only one who got selected? If you can give us a bit of insight, that would be great!

Thanks!

From this link:https://admissions.usafa.edu/RRS/International_Booklet
also here: http://www.usafa.edu/df/dff/dfip/index.cfm

AUTHORITY: U. S. Air Force Academy enrollment of students from the American Republics and the Republic of the Philippines began in June 1962. Enrollment of students from other countries began in 1985, as authorized by the Secretary of the Air Force.

ELIGIBILITY: Each candidate must meet the following eligibility requirements:
1. Be unmarried, with no dependents, bonafide citizen of the nominating country, and be of good moral character. Meet high leadership, academic, physical, and medical standards.
2. Be not less than 17 years of age and must not be past their 23rd birthday by 1 July of the year in which they enter the Air Force Academy.
3. Be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking contemporary English.
4. Have an acceptable academic record.
5. Achieve qualifying scores on the College Board Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Testing (ACT). SAT Math scores below 560 or ACT Math and Science Reasoning scores below 25 are not competitive.
6. Be in good health and free of any communicable disease. In addition, each nominee must have good vision and be free of major dental problems.
7. We will need to know the service commitment of the student once they graduate and return to their country.

NOMINATING METHODS: To apply for a nomination, applicants should write to their own country, NOT to the Academy or the United States government offices. An applicant’s letter should contain complete details about their background. The number of nominations authorized for each country will be provided by the Air Force Academy. Nominations from host governments are processed through the USDAO/American Embassy. These nominations are to be submitted to the Air Force Academy by 31 December for the class entering the following June. Governments should submit nominations to the American Ambassador as early as possible upon receipt of official nominations from the government to which they are accredited.

Last edited:
Great post!

So if we join the PAF Academy, how long do we have to study there before we are eligible to apply for USAFA?

Thanks!

So if we join the PAF Academy, how long do we have to study there before we are eligible to apply for USAFA?

Don't know. I couldn't find a list of "quotas" by country. but I imagine that the USAFA would take only one or two per year from Pakistan. Soooooo, you would probably have to be very outstanding at the PAFA for them to nominate you. Who knows? You might need to be the son/daughter of a very high up in the PAF to get this kind of support. I would hope not, but ......

Soooooo, you would probably have to be very outstanding at the PAFA for them to nominate you. Who knows? You might need to be the son/daughter of a very high up in the PAF to get this kind of support. I would hope not, but ......

I think the procedure is same for PAF as it is for Army. The most outstanding cadet from PMA is nominated for Sandhurst. People claim that you need to be son of a general or a highup to be nominated, but if we see the record of some previous nominees, i don't think this is true.

Great post!

Thanks!
You'd have to win sword of honor and show some quality to get into USAF Academy.

shows how much potential the youth of our nation posses, sadly our education system isn't strong and we don't have enough schools all over the country especially rural areas!

What exactly is this sword of honor?

Yeah, I agree, we have a lot of talented people, we just luck a talented system ;)

What exactly is this sword of honor?

Well, it's a sword.
Awarded to the best cadet on the basis of over all performance in three disciplines – flying, academics and general services training.

naval guys givinf gifts to airforce guys is USAF short of officers thats why they have send naval officer to awward airforce officer and nayyar may be this guy is hindu am i right

If that's what it would take then I will definitely give it my best shot for the sword of honor ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom