Overseas workers' remittances up 27.4% MoM, clock in at $2.5bn in March

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Overseas workers' remittances up 27.4% MoM, clock in at $2.5bn in March

• Inflow highest since August 2022, attributed to Ramadan factor
  • Cumulative figure for July to March 2022-23 stands at $20.527bn, 10.8% lower year-on-year
BR
April 10, 2023

Inflow of overseas workers’ remittances registered a significant increase to clock in at $2.5 billion in March 2023, an increase of 27.4% on a month-on-month basis, as compared to $1.98 billion in February 2023, showed data released by the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) on Monday.

The inflows were the highest recorded since August 2022, and attributed to the Ramadan factor.

“This is a seasonal rise due to the ongoing month of Ramadan, where a lot of funds are remitted on account of Zakat and other charities, which is reflected in the increase in remittances,” Saad Khan, Head of Research at IGI Securities, told Business Recorder.

“On account of increase in remittances, the current account deficit for the month of March is likely to be negligible, and there is also a strong possibility of a current account surplus this month,” he added.

On a yearly basis though, the inflow of remittances registered a decline of 11%, as they stood at $2.83 billion in the same month of the previous year, the data showed.

On a cumulative basis, the inflow of remittances during the July to March period of the fiscal year 2022-23 stood at $20.527 billion, 10.8% lower than $23.018 billion in the same period of the previous fiscal year, a decline of nearly $2.5 billion.

“During the FY22 the average remittance figures stood at $2.6 billion, so the latest figures are not too exciting,” said Khan.

The market expert said that on an annualised basis, the ongoing rupee depreciation and the increase in black market premiums have become a major headache, as people are diverting their inflows from formal channels.

“The problem of hawala and hundi remains rampant, which is being reflected in the cumulative decline,” he added.

Overseas Pakistanis in Saudi Arabia remitted the single largest amount in March 2023 as they sent $564 million during the month. This was nearly 18% lower than the $686 million sent by expatriates in the same month of the previous year.

Inflows from the United Kingdom inched up 5% as they increased from $402 million in March 2022 to $422 million in March 2023.

Remittances from the United Arab Emirates amounted to $407 million during the month, a decline of 22% compared to $521 million in March 2022.

Moreover, remittances from the European Union increased 6% as they amounted to $299 million in March 2023. Overseas Pakistanis in the US sent $316 million in March 2023, registering a year-on-year growth of 5%.

The oversea remittance is illusion because am hearing news of people running out of money and food in Pakistani which is forcing oversea Pakistani to send in emergency help to their relatives

Ahahahaa

PTI used to brag about increasing remittance as if it was some sort of achievement

Expats will send money home to family, they don’t care who is at power

Ahahahaa

PTI used to brag about increasing remittance as if it was some sort of achievement

Overseas Pakistanis ki bheek per palnay wali qoum ko aisi batein zaib ni deti.

Speak for yourself. The only reason I'm sending money is because of my mom demanding it be sent.

You beggars should bow to us for having bleeding hearts.

That’s literally what I said

You would send money home to your mom even if Hitler was ruling

Your youthiya BS only extends to self-benefit.

There is no achievement of any political party to increase or decrease remittances

There is no achievement of any political party to increase or decrease remittances

Your basically begging from us, we have to work and support you because your clowns

No one is or can Invest any money to make Pakistan better because your crooks

Watch your bagarati zabaan. Idiot thinks I'll leave my mother in a shithole you call a country.

My mother lives with me in the US. Now re-read my comment and figure out who's getting my money.

The level of education from the supposed "educated" is USD sent to Pakistan "is only benefiting the families" of OSPs. No sire, the USDs remitted is benefiting the 100PKR subsidy you all love.

Current account will be surplus this month

i don't think you actually understand what goes on with that money or how money actually gets used in the real world.

Normally when people send money 1 part is to support direct family which than trickle downs to grocery, shopping, bills, servants, and other monthly necessities and have a little nest in Pakistan just in case of any emergency 2nd To support small to medium family business and to invest. which gets trickled down to Pakistani economy it doesnt one pot moves and just sits doing nothing.
Also that Remittance comes in the form of Dollars,Euros,Pounds,Dirhams and such now when Pakistan trades with other countries it doesnt use Rupee it uses these currencies or buys is
Now do tell us how many projects in Pakistan every year are bringing billions in foreign currencies ?
Your local export is already at last legs, Agriculture, Textile gone mainly its import driven economy and rest gets smuggled by people in power from Iran, Afghanistan which also hurts Pak economy, as than those people are not actually paying any or very little taxes on that so when middle class to low class need to get something with half decent quality as mainly with country of 200 Million population has no quality control they need to pay premium.

If i were i would get my high horse and actually think what the heck is going on with this country.

Now people are trying to move families out of Pakistan which will lower the money that need to be sent Pakistan in long term.

Ahahahaa

Overseas Pakistani's feeling sorry for Showbaz during Ramadhan.

Back
Top Bottom