What's new

Our Universe May Exist in a Multiverse, Cosmic Inflation Discovery Suggests

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
he first direct evidence of cosmic inflation — a period of rapid expansion that occurred a fraction of a second after the Big Bang — also supports the idea that our universe is just one of many out there, some researchers say.
On Monday (March 17), scientists announced new findings that mark the first-ever direct evidence of primordial gravitational waves — ripples in space-time created just after the universe began. If the results are confirmed, they would provide smoking-gun evidence that space-time expanded at many times the speed of light just after the Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago.

he new research also lends credence to the idea of a multiverse. This theory posits that, when the universe grew exponentially in the first tiny fraction of a second after the Big Bang, some parts of space-time expanded more quickly than others. This could have created "bubbles" of space-time that then developed into other universes. The known universe has its own laws of physics, while other universes could have different laws, according to the multiverse concept.

"It's hard to build models of inflation that don't lead to a multiverse," Alan Guth, an MIT theoretical physicist unaffiliated with the new study, said during a news conference Monday. "It's not impossible, so I think there's still certainly research that needs to be done. But most models of inflation do lead to a multiverse, and evidence for inflation will be pushing us in the direction of taking [the idea of a] multiverse seriously."

Other researchers agreed on the link between inflation and the multiverse.

"In most of the models of inflation, if inflation is therethen the multiverse is there," Stanford University theoretical physicist Andrei Linde, who wasn't involved in the new study, said at the same news conference. "It's possible to invent models of inflation that do not allow [a] multiverse, but it's difficult. Every experiment that brings better credence to inflationary theory brings us much closer to hints that the multiverse is real."
When Guth and his colleagues thought up cosmic inflation more than 30 years ago, scientists thought it was untestable. Today, however, researchers are able to study light left over from the Big Bang called cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB).

In the new study, a team led by John Kovac of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics found telltale signs of inflation in the microwave background. The researchers discovered a distinct curl in the polarization pattern of the CMB, a sign of gravitational waves created by the rapid expansion of space-time just after the Big Bang.

Linde, one of the main contributers to inflation theory, says that if the known universe is just one bubble, there must be many other bubbles in the cosmic fabric.

"Think about some unstable state," Linde explained. "You are standing on a hill, and you can fall in this direction, you can fall in that direction, and if you're drunk, eventually you must fall. Inflation is instability of our space with respect to its expansion.

"You have something growing exponentially," he added. "If you just let it go … it will continue exponentially growing, so this [the known universe] is one possibility of something going wrong with this instability, which is very, very right for us because it has created all of our space. Now, we know that if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong once and a second time and a third time and into infinity as long as it can go."

Universe May Exist in a Multiverse, Cosmic Inflation Suggests | Space.com

I also had this in my mind that we live in bubble and there are many bubbles floating . The question is what happens if two bubble collides , i mean if we look at our universe , its expanding and if others are also expanding there is a chance that 2 Bubbles (2 universe) will collide .:blink:

I also had this in my mind that we live in bubble and there are many bubbles floating . The question is what happens if two bubble collides , i mean if we look at our universe , its expanding and if others are also expanding there is a chance that 2 Bubbles (2 universe) will collide .:blink:

For the two universes to collide they need to be in the same dimension and need to have particles/fields that may interact, which is highly unlikely. However, the Dark Matter may be that part of a different universe which has a gravitational field that interacts with particles in our universe. So these two universes may already be under the process of collision.

Another theory on multiverse comes from the two hole experiment. But the moment any one of the two particles (created during the experiment) collides with our universe, it becomes part of our universe's wave function, but in support of the laws of thermodynamics (energy/particle can neither be created nor destroyed), only one of the particle survives. So even in that sense, the collision will not affect us.

@madooxno9 , your dark shades with that beard and hat make you look much more mysterious than all the phenomena of the universe taken together :lol: Kaun si film ka scene hai?

Last edited:
DC Comics was right!. This may be Earth 2133.. and there may be a million earths out there.
But speaking from a purely scientific viewpoint.. This is still based a lot on mathematical models and conjecture.. and not on concrete conclusions via multiple sources of data.

DC Comics was right!. This may be Earth 2133.. and there may be a million earths out there.
But speaking from a purely scientific viewpoint.. This is still based a lot on mathematical models and conjecture.. and not on concrete conclusions via multiple sources of data.
We never know unless we see them.. Universe is such a huge thing which test the imagination of a person.. The milky way is itself is having a diameter of 100000 light years... which is equal to 946080000000000000 km roughly.... Now this we are taking about our galaxy, forget about intergalactic distance and distance between the galactic clusters.... They say, size of Universe is 94 billion light years... Cant imagine how big it would be..

So there would be million of earths, but the question is how far can we see?????

We never know unless we see them.. Universe is such a huge thing which test the imagination of a person.. The milky way is itself is having a diameter of 100000 light years... which is equal to 946080000000000000 km roughly.... Now this we are taking about our galaxy, forget about intergalactic distance and distance between the galactic clusters.... They say, size of Universe is 94 billion light years... Cant imagine how big it would be..

So there would be million of earths, but the question is how far can we see?????
Im less interesting n seeing...and more interesting in the possibility of travelling between them..what if all these multiverses(essentially just probablility events according to the article methinks)... full of mirror us?
What if in one universe it played out very similarly till the cuban crises and then the world went nuclear? what if the Mughal Empire lasted till the 21st century in another? What if humanity did not evolve as the fittest and another species took over?

@Skull and Bones, your opinion?

This is a tough question, and all the answer will be theoretical and hypothetical depending on your approach, either classical mechanics or quantum mechanics.

This has been my reply in some other thread, it's classical approach.

I don't think that might be possible, at least to perceive in our senses.

Imagine two balloons colliding, the particulates inside it will experience a sudden change in the boundary and acceleration of the walls and molecules near it, but can never experience the other balloon.

A ripple in the gravity maybe, but the chances are very low. As the gravitational waves moves with the speed of light, and the observable universe is 90 billion light years in diameter.

Now do the math. :D

And as there are huge tracts of empty spaces in the universe, the density of the cosmic entities will have marginal shift.

guys watch some youtube videos where it shows the presence of more than 4 dimensions. Also certain modern physicists have rejected time as a unidirectional dimension. ! Its all weird and theoretically possible !

And folks relax just like X axis can never collide with Y axis similarly worlds would never collide

Socrates got it right when he said..."I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." ; )

Multiverse is a bogus "belief" of those who could NOT prove spontaneous origin of universe & laws of physics & life all the way to humans. Just like they kept increasing life of universe\earth bcoz previous length of time didn't seen long enough for undirected-random processes to bring about all out there. Now to make it probable for a highly fine-tuned universe to have risen out of mere chance, they are increasing number of universes. Since all established evidence goes against spontaneous origin of such fine tuned universe & let alone life all the way to humans. Like step-wise & sudden appearance of species goes against Darwinian-style "gradualism". That's why Richard Dawkins was pissed off at the idea of "punctuated equilibrium". "Punctuated equilibrium" is simply impossible with slow-undirected Darwinian-style mutation-selection crap. Sudden appearance of drastically different features demand some intelligence fiddling at certain intervals with the genome, making HUGE number of changes all at once, to produce newer viable organism.

Keep trying. Keep increasing the numbers & length of time only to get proved wrong at the end.

Here's my "hypothesis" similar to hypothesis of multiverse >>> The only universes that exist are concentric layers outside of our universe. Layers that are like concentric spheres=layers=skies. Concentric spheres one outside the other.(.).

Inner most layer out of concentric sphere is what we know as our universe. Outside the ball of our universe, we have 6 more spheres. Inner-most sphere is the ONLY sphere that has planets\stars etc. Outer 6 spheres are probably empty spaces with a solid boundary separating it from next sphere.

105824d1187976735-earth.jpg

.a Sky = a Layer.​
Contents of 1st sky (1st layer) include:-Air around earth, Clouds, Space(Vacuum), Celestial Bodies(sun, moon, stars, galaxies, meteorites etc etc.)

105825d1187976735-skies.jpg

105826d1187976735-skies..jpg

Numbers in squares = contents of the layer=sky.
Numbers in circles = surface of the layer=sky.

[Quran:67:3] He Who created the seven skies (Layers) one above another: No want of proportion wilt thou see in the Creation of (God) Most Gracious. So turn thy vision again: sees you any flaw?
[67:5] And we have adorned the lowest sky with Lamps, ....
[25:61] Blessed is He Who made constellations in the skies, and placed therein a Lamp(sun) and an illuminated (Moon);
[30:48] It is God Who sends the Winds, and they raise the Clouds: then does He spread them in the sky as He wills, and break them into fragments, until thou seest rain-drops issue from the midst thereof: then when He has made them reach such of his servants as He wills behold, they do rejoice!-
[16:79] Do they not look at the birds, held poised in the midst of the sky? Nothing holds them up but (the power of) God. Verily in this are signs for those who believe.
=======================================================

And when you travel with speed of light, time stops. And if you travel outside of the sphere that started as a result of Big-Bang or some other expansion method; you basically travel out-side of our time & space frame.

Bukhari:54:429:
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Malik bin Sasaa : The Prophet said, "While I was at the House in a state midway between sleep and wakefulness, (an angel recognized me) as the man lying between two men. A golden tray full of wisdom and belief was brought to me and my body was cut open from the throat to the lower part of the abdomen and then my abdomen was washed with Zam-Zam water and my heart was filled with wisdom and belief. Al-Buraq, a white animal, smaller than a mule and bigger than a donkey was brought to me and I set out with Gabriel. When I reached the nearest heaven(surface of the 1st layer = sky). Gabriel said to the heaven gate-keeper, 'Open the gate.' The gatekeeper asked, 'Who is it?' He said, 'Gabriel.' The gate-keeper,' Who is accompanying you?' Gabriel said, 'Muhammad.' The gate-keeper said, 'Has he been called?' Gabriel said, 'Yes.' Then it was said, 'He is welcomed. What a wonderful visit his is!' There I met Adam and greeted him and he said, 'You are welcomed O son and a Prophet.' Then we ascended to the second sky. It was asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel said, 'Gabriel.' It was said, 'Who is with you?' He said, 'Muhammad' It was asked, 'Has he been sent for?' He said, 'Yes.' It was said, 'He is welcomed. What a wonderful visit his is!" There I met Jesus (Eesa) and Yahya (John the baptist) who said, 'You are welcomed, O brother and a Prophet.' Then we ascended to the third sky. It was asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel said, 'Gabriel.' It was asked, 'Who is with you? Gabriel said, 'Muhammad.' It was asked, 'Has he been sent for?' 'Yes,' said Gabriel. 'He is welcomed. What a wonderful visit his is!' (The Prophet added) There I met Joseph and greeted him, and he replied, 'You are welcomed, O brother and a Prophet!' Then we ascended to the 4th sky and again the same questions and answers were exchanged as in the previous heavens. There I met Idris and greeted him. He said, 'You are welcomed O brother and Prophet.' Then we ascended to the 5th sky and again the same questions and answers were exchanged as in previous heavens. There I met and greeted Aaron (Haroon) who said, 'You are welcomed O brother and a Prophet". Then we ascended to the 6th sky and again the same questions and answers were exchanged as in the previous heavens. There I met and greeted Moses who said, 'You are welcomed O brother and. a Prophet.' When I proceeded on, he started weeping and on being asked why he was weeping, he said, 'O Lord! Followers of this youth who was sent after me will enter Paradise in greater number than my followers.' Then we ascended to the seventh sky and again the same questions and answers were exchanged as in the previous heavens. There I met and greeted Abraham who said, 'You are welcomed o son and a Prophet.' Then I was shown Al-Bait-al-Ma'mur (i.e. Allah's House). I asked Gabriel about it and he said, This is Al Bait-ul-Ma'mur where 70,000 angels perform prayers daily and when they leave they never return to it (but always a fresh batch comes into it daily).' Then I was shown Sidrat-ul-Muntaha (i.e. a tree in the seventh heaven) and I saw its Nabk fruits which resembled the clay jugs of Hajr (i.e. a town in Arabia), and its leaves were like the ears of elephants, and four rivers originated at its root, two of them were apparent and two were hidden. I asked Gabriel about those rivers and he said, 'The two hidden rivers are in Paradise, and the apparent ones are the Nile and the Euphrates.' Then fifty prayers were enjoined on me. I descended till I met Moses who asked me, 'What have you done?' I said, 'Fifty prayers have been enjoined on me.' He said, 'I know the people better than you, because I had the hardest experience to bring Bani Israel to obedience. Your followers cannot put up with such obligation. So, return to your Lord and request Him (to reduce the number of prayers.' I returned and requested Allah (for reduction) and He made it forty. I returned and (met Moses) and had a similar discussion, and then returned again to Allah for reduction and He made it thirty, then twenty, then ten, and then I came to Moses who repeated the same advice. Ultimately Allah reduced it to five. When I came to Moses again, he said, 'What have you done?' I said, 'Allah has made it five only.' He repeated the same advice but I said that I surrendered (to Allah's Final Order)'" Allah's Apostle was addressed by Allah, "I have decreed My Obligation and have reduced the burden on My slaves, and I shall reward a single good deed as if it were ten good deeds."

Last edited:
Science only to further proved the made up religion had no concept of the universe.

guys watch some youtube videos where it shows the presence of more than 4 dimensions. Also certain modern physicists have rejected time as a unidirectional dimension. ! Its all weird and theoretically possible !

And folks relax just like X axis can never collide with Y axis similarly worlds would never collide

If you consider String Theory, then there are 26 dimensions, and there are so small that it is implied that they are imperfections in the space-time continuum.

I'm not sure I buy the multi-universe concept just yet, however I do believe there definitely is something else out there behind the black holes. :D

Back
Top Bottom