What's new

Ottoman Scientific and Technological achievments

Hakan

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
This is a list of some of the more famous Ottoman Scientific achievements. (This does not include military sciences which was the highlight of Ottoman Technology)

Manned Rocket Flight:

Lagari Hasan Çelebi was a legendary Ottoman Turk who, according to an account written by Evliya Çelebi, made a successful manned rocket flight. Evliya Çelebi proported that in 1663 Lagari Hasan Çelebi launched in a 7 winged rocket using 50 okka (140 lbs) of gunpowder from Sarayburnu, the point belowTopkapı Palace. The flight was said to be undertaken at the time of the birth ofSultan Murad IV's daughter. As Evliya Celebi wrote, Lagari proclaimed before launch "O my sultan! Be blessed, I am going to talk to Christ"; after ascending in the rocket, he landed in the sea, swimming ashore and reporting "O my sultan! Christ sends his regards to you!"; he was rewarded by the Sultan with silver and the rank of sipahi in the Ottoman army.
Sustained Flight:

Hezârfen Ahmed Çelebi was a legendary Ottoman aviator of 17th-century Constantinople (present day Istanbul), purported in the writings of traveler Evliya Çelebi to have achieved sustained unpowered flight. The 17th century writings of Evliyâ Çelebi relate this story of Hezârfen Ahmed Çelebi, circa 1630–1632: First, he practiced by flying over the pulpit of Okmeydanı eight or nine times with eagle wings, using the force of the wind. Then, as Sultan Murad Khan (Murad IV) was watching from the Sinan Pasha mansion at Sarayburnu, he flew from the very top of the Galata Tower (in contemporary Karaköy) and landed in the Doğancılar Square in Üsküdar, with the help of the south-west wind. Then Murad Khan granted him a sack of golden coins, and said: "This is a scary man. He is capable of doing anything he wishes. It is not right to keep such people," and thus sent him to Algeria on exile. He died there.—Evliyâ Çelebi,

Steam Engines and Turbines:

Taqi al-Din Muhammad ibn Ma’ruf al-Shami al-Asadi (1526–1585) was a renowned Ottoman polymath: a scientist, astronomer, engineer, and inventor.One of his books, Al-Turuq al-samiyya fi al-alat al-ruhaniyya (The Sublime Methods of Spiritual Machines) (1551), described the workings of a rudimentary steam engine and steam turbine, predating the more famous discovery of steam power by Giovanni Branca in 1629. Taqi al-Din is also known for the invention of a six-cylinder ‘Monobloc‘ pump in 1559, the invention of a variety of accurate clocks (including the first mechanical alarm clock, the first spring-powered astronomical clock, the first watch measured in minutes and the first clocks measured in minutes and seconds from 1556 to 1580.

Piri Reis Map:

The Piri Reis Map, is the oldest surviving map to show the Americas. It is not European,but Turkish. It bears a date of 919 in the Moslem calendar, corresponding to 1513 in the Western Calendar. It is in the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, a fabulous museum and the locale for a truly awful movie in the late 1960's. (I've been there - the real place bears no resemblance to the place in the movie.) The map was lost for a long time and only rediscovered in the 20th century.Apart from its great historic interest, the map has been alleged to contain details no European could have known in the 1500's, and therefore proves the existence of ancient technological civilizations, visits by extraterrestrials, or both.

Last edited:
Are you sure they are not Arab achievements?
Just wait for it.;)
Does it matter? What matters is to learn that back then Muslims had brains instead of fighting only they actually did research and were curious...now they are just damn lazy and into fighting..sad truth!

Does it matter? What matters is to learn that back then Muslims had brains instead of fighting only they actually did research and were curious...now they are just damn lazy and into fighting..sad truth!
It is changing slowly.
Btw,my comment was for another reason(someone claims all Muslim achievements to his people).

It is changing slowly.
Btw,my comment was for another reason(someone claims all Muslim achievements to his people).
Ahh I see...I claim them to be of Muslims...who cares from which corner...Islam is supposed to unite us not segregate us!

Ahh I see...I claim them to be of Muslims...who cares from which corner...Islam is supposed to unite us not segregate us!
Well when there is only war between Muslims,what does that tell us.
There is One Islam,but we have 100 interpretations.
How can we find unity when we call each other ''kafir''?no way.
The thing is to try the best we can,accept each other and go our own way.
Btw,our countries are allways together,no matter what.

Well when there is only war between Muslims,what does that tell us.
There is One Islam,but we have 100 interpretations.
How can we find unity when we call each other ''kafir''?no way.
The thing is to try the best we can,accept each other and go our own way.
Btw,our countries are allways together,no matter what.
The problem is we failed to see what the religion thought us but are more nationalists....The Arabs over their Arabness...the Turks over their Tukishness...the Iranians over their Persianess...no one wants to be identified as a Muslim...everyone wants to be an Arab, Turk, Irani, Aisan or whatever or even worse: Shia, Sunni, Ahmedi, Deobandi, Wahabi, Salafi or whatever....

When we learn to call ourselves "Muslims" the title Allah gave us in the Quran...then maybe we can talk of unity until then go fight and kill each other...Allah said he will raise a better nation!

The problem is we failed to see what the religion thought us but are more nationalists....The Arabs over their Arabness...the Turks over their Tukishness...the Iranians over their Persianess...no one wants to be identified as a Muslim...everyone wants to be an Arab, Turk, Irani, Aisan or whatever or even worse: Shia, Sunni, Ahmedi, Deobandi, Wahabi, Salafi or whatever....

When we learn to call ourselves "Muslims" the title Allah gave us in the Quran...then maybe we can talk of unity until then go fight and kill each other...Allah said he will raise a better nation!
So we will never,there is no way we can take the Arab,Turkish,Persian,NESS out.

So we will never,there is no way we can take the Arab,Turkish,Persian,NESS out.
Sad....I thought Islam would unite you lot...But that is really sad....You lot even divided Islam itself....

You lot?
We dont have that sect problem in my country,you should tell that to the eternal rivals(Arabs and Persians).
Not sect prob in your country but there is Nationalist prob ...I am ever ready to put down my country flag for Islam...but my country was built for Muslims and it has really gone skewed so not much can be said there...and yes my post was for them also!

Not sect prob in your country but there is Nationalist prob ...I am ever ready to put down my country flag for Islam...but my country was built for Muslims and it has really gone skewed so not much can be said there...and yes my post was for them also!
Dont you think after seeing all the sectarian bs and different views on Islam in your country that you need a new approach?
I mean,unity by religion doesnt work.
I have read the whole history of Pakistan and of Muhammed Ali Jinnah and i'm convinced he wanted to go the same way we did.
A Muslim nation held together by the uniting factor Pakistan''land of the pure''.
At least thats what i got out of it.

Dont you think after seeing all the sectarian bs and different views on Islam in your country that you need a new approach?
I mean,unity by religion doesnt work.
I have read the whole history of Pakistan and of Muhammed Ali Jinnah and i'm convinced he wanted to go the same way we did.
A Muslim nation held together by the uniting factor Pakistan''land of the pure''.
At least thats what i got out of it.
I am not sure what you are talking about....But uniting a nation with not only different historical backgrounds / races, different "beliefs" as well as different interests is not easy...we are not of the same ethnicity so the idea was to unite them on religion...its not going well but yes a new approach would be great...
I rather unite them on being Pakistani but then again it might just make Nationalists out of them....some already are...others are not sure and well I dont know what to make of it...I wish they would just unite for the sake of living peacefully!

I am not sure what you are talking about....But uniting a nation with not only different historical backgrounds / races, different "beliefs" as well as different interests is not easy...we are not of the same ethnicity so the idea was to unite them on religion...its not going well but yes a new approach would be great...
I rather unite them on being Pakistani but then again it might just make Nationalists out of them....some already are...others are not sure and well I dont know what to make of it...I wish they would just unite for the sake of living peacefully!
If you look at my country,you might think we all have the same ethnic background accept for the Kurds.
the National Security Council of Turkey by academics of three Turkish universities in eastern Anatolia suggested that there are approximately 55 million ethnic Turks, 12.6 million Kurds, 2.5 million Circassians, 2 million Bosniaks, 500,000-1.3 million Albanians, 1,000,000 Georgians, 870,000 Arabs, 600,000, Pomaks, 80,000 Laz, 200,000 Armenians, 25,000 Assyrians/Syriacs, 20,000 Jews, and 15,000 Greeks living in Turkey.
As you can see we have a very diverse population.
After the war of independence the population was more diverse but many have emigrated for a better future.
The only thing holding these people together is the nation(some Kurds want independence).

If you look at my country,you might think we all have the same ethnic background accept for the Kurds.
the National Security Council of Turkey by academics of three Turkish universities in eastern Anatolia suggested that there are approximately 55 million ethnic Turks, 12.6 million Kurds, 2.5 million Circassians, 2 million Bosniaks, 500,000-1.3 million Albanians, 1,000,000 Georgians, 870,000 Arabs, 600,000, Pomaks, 80,000 Laz, 200,000 Armenians, 25,000 Assyrians/Syriacs, 20,000 Jews, and 15,000 Greeks living in Turkey.
As you can see we have a very diverse population.
After the war of independence the population was more diverse but many have emigrated for a better future.
The only thing holding these people together is the nation(some Kurds want independence).
Most of these are Indo-European tribes...except the Arabs and Jews who are cousins even Aramenians can be considered their cousins....Greeks can also be linked to Pomaks, Laz while Albanians and Georgians are not very different from each other...Everyone you mentioned lived in the same area not across land acres.....except Arabs, Jews and Greeks....Rest can be considered Turkic people....under 1 big race...But yes it is diverse now based nationality...but most of you are more similar than different...most...

But I agree...its a huge diversity pool but if you look at Pakistan based on that we have equally as much...from the Baluch who are entirely different to the Hazara, the Gujrati, the Punjabi (who themselves are too diverse to mention), the Sindhi, the Kalash who are totally different, Kashmiri again are different and so are the Pathan...these are the known ones and which are in thousands to tens of thousands....then we have minorities like those who have pure Indian blood and came from India, we have South Indian descents who are again completely different and so on

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom