What's new

Ordnance Factory Trichy to bring out rifle ''as good as AK-47''

Money, chicks, and drugs is all local well the X and Acid comes in from Goa...One NRI kid I knew would buy in bulk and supply the town.....As for guns that was strictly due to my friend from Northeast.....It is not in Bangalore....he would bring it from there if I wanted it. I didn't want anything to do with transport . Nowadays, everyone's getting busted because of the cellphones. The reference to criminal paradise is especially prevalent in districts where there is no real law enforcement. As for bangalore, if you kept your head low, I don;t think you would be noticed. The only problem was neighbors but if you rented an Apartment in a high-rise, you would get sufficient privacy. Some malus from Calicut got good pull in Bangalore. A lot of farm houses in Hosur and empty houses around the "Club" area was evident to me.

I guess i know which NRI kid you refering to :P...or may be there are lots more NRI kids doin the same crap. Well you would n't even get busted if you kept a low profile in the US too and on the bolded part what was evident to u?? Mallus from Calicut ve a gud pull in b'lore?? I ve seriously never heard about that...people with gud pull in b'lore are gowdas and reddys to some extent muslims...but mallus?? lol thats a new one and i am a mallu myself!! :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Nice one..:D

Nonsense. Don't bring in irrelevant topic to this discussion. We know which party has done how much for the defense of the country.

it is different thing to detonate a bomb to win election and build a bomb in the first place.

Nonsense. Don't bring in irrelevant topic to this discussion. We know which party has done how much for the defense of the country.

it is different thing to detonate a bomb to win election and build a bomb in the first place.

HEY LET ME SHOW YOU A DIFFERENT LIGHT...IT WAS ON TIMES OF INDIA........WIKILEAKS DESCRIBED MODI AS A INCORRUPTIBLE AND EFFICIENT MINISTER......IT GOES TO SHOW YOU THIS IS THE TYPE OF GUY THAT THE WORLD DOES NOT WANT TO SEE IN INDIA ......HE WOULD TRANSFORM INDIA...HANDS DOWN....IM CHRISTIAN NOT HINDU

I guess i know which NRI kid you refering to :P...or may be there are lots more NRI kids doin the same crap. Well you would n't even get busted if you kept a low profile in the US too and on the bolded part what was evident to u?? Mallus from Calicut ve a gud pull in b'lore?? I ve seriously never heard about that...people with gud pull in b'lore are gowdas and reddys to some extent muslims...but mallus?? lol thats a new one and i am a mallu myself!! :D

STOP BLAMING NRI'S ALMOST ALL THE CRIME IS DONE BY LOCAL INDIANS LOL....MY FRIEND SUPPLIED US BECAUSE WE DIDNT TRUST THE LOCALS PRODUCTS. I WAS REFERRING TO REAL ESTATE BEING OWED BY A LOT OF MALUS PROVIDED US A GOOD NETWORK OF PLACES TO GO AND "SLEEP" LOL. MALUS ARE PRETTY HARD WORKING BRO AS YOU KNOW.....THE KIDS I KNEW ALL CAME FROM HARD WORKING BUSINESS FAMILIES. AS FOR STANDING LOW.....YEAH BUT IN THE USA IF YO UARE NOT WHITE YOU STAND OUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN, IN INDIA WE ARE ALL THE SAME LOL.....

Lol... so why dnt use them ur liscense produced AKs or insas aswell?
Hell our police is armed with almost every weapon (small arm) our infantry uses.

Like AKs,MP-5,G3A4,sig,beretta,MG-3,snipers etc.

With teh kind of enviroment you ar eliving in, i mean the bomb blasts and the terrorism, even that is insufficient for your police, arm them from head to toe.!!

STOP BLAMING NRI'S ALMOST ALL THE CRIME IS DONE BY LOCAL INDIANS LOL....MY FRIEND SUPPLIED US BECAUSE WE DIDNT TRUST THE LOCALS PRODUCTS. I WAS REFERRING TO REAL ESTATE BEING OWED BY A LOT OF MALUS PROVIDED US A GOOD NETWORK OF PLACES TO GO AND "SLEEP" LOL. MALUS ARE PRETTY HARD WORKING BRO AS YOU KNOW.....THE KIDS I KNEW ALL CAME FROM HARD WORKING BUSINESS FAMILIES. AS FOR STANDING LOW.....YEAH BUT IN THE USA IF YO UARE NOT WHITE YOU STAND OUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN, IN INDIA WE ARE ALL THE SAME LOL.....

No caps lock please, it's a pain to read.

Hey Ill answer all 3 of you the same time. Why are you getting so defensive for? India is paradise for criminals bro. LAck of governance in some states makes this quite possible. You must be dreaming to think otherwise, or really a bunch of jokers who don;t know much about India. Hey I've seen folks live there all their life and not know anything. Guns is nothing to come by, maybe being a foreigner and having cash made it easier. But I believe I was lucky to be at the right time at the right place. If you have a knack for it, you will find whatever you want be it guns, virgin girls, drugs, whatever. The question is how much. I also have a license from Nagaland too lol! What? let me guess you probably think that is not possible huh? BTW I am not a citizen and my folks are from Kerala. i don;t speak a word of Naga or Hindi but I was able to get away with so much with just English.

Kinetic not funny about statements just letting you guys now why I am so frustrated by our mindset.
Popeye, well what else is there to say? I have a drivers license, but I heard that is not hard to get even in other parts of India. The sad thing is that having a license can enable me to get more legal documents I believe even a ration card, not sure though. The price I quoted was actually 5,000 rupees but $1,000 rupees was his cut. I even visited Nagaland and we shot many rounds in the forests. No movie prop. I even threw a grenade. This is INdia bro, I can't even this in the US lol. This is why I have great memories in India, but this is why I am scared for India's survival as well. If I could do it, then there is no telling what a foreigner with ill intentions could do. Its mind boggling. That's why I sound harsh to you guys, because you don;t see how bad the problem is.

This isn't he first time I mentioned this, in fact I asked where could I report this but I got no answers. SO much for patriots right?

East West remember it is never easy but it is obtainable. Hell I can get it in the US but for more cash. It comes down to who you know. There was a racket where officers sold their weapons. Remember? Maoists were building AK's from scratch. Remember? UP and Bihar is home to country made revolvers...ANd northeast Militants were being supplied from "outside." There was thriving gun market in Dimapur that shut down in 07 or 08, nearly 10 yrs after me. Are you naive to think there aren't other gun bazaars. This activity thrives in lawless areas of India. I suggest you and others explore India a bit more before you blindly open your mouths. No offense, but there is whole of India that is unknown to all of us.

having a driving license is possible..but you are still a foreigner because your name will never be included in voter list. as for drugs and girls(read prostitutes) that is also possible but then that is possible every where in the world and both are illegal here Nagaland(christian state keep ,that in mind).if you are caught with either of them you will be arrested ..NOT JOKING.. as for firing guns and grenade that`s only possible if you aare inside the designated camps of NSCN because they are in 'ceasefire'.....no arms market here in northeast and whatever is present is highly secretive and you will be arrested for carrying guns outside designated terrorist camps and don`t even think of transporting arms anywhere out of it(the camps).. btw which camp did you stay in nagaland and are you christian(sorry i m asking but it is important) ??? you must have identified yourself as journalist or something otherwise not possible for plain vanilla citizens ..NEVER

p.s: the official language of Nagaland is English probably that explains why you got away speaking in english :)..and times and things have changed a lot since you last visited ..it`s much better here now, very peaceful.and i m not naga btw, just have some family in nagaland that make thing bit emotional for me, when you just rant away all the bad things about that place..which is no more true anyway..

Indian 'AK-47' too fast for its own good

NAGPUR: Even as soldiers in combat zones insist on carrying AK-47s instead of the indigenous INSAS rifles, a home-made AK-like weapon has finally appealed to the paramilitary forces. However, the Indian rifle, originally designed to fire faster than the Russian Kalashnikov itself, may have to slow down a bit, just to ensure smooth shooting. This process may delay its introduction by 7-8 months.

Called the Trichy Assault Rifle (TAR), the gun is being developed at the Tiruchirapalli Ordnance Factory in Tamil Nadu. The faster firing capacity was the USP for the Indian AK. It could fire 800 bullets in a minute as against 600 from the Russian rifle.:smokin:

However, this speed has also led to a hitch, which was noticed during trials held recently. There were stoppages during firing at times. Rectifying the error will lead to a lower firing rate, even though the Indian version is expected to remain ahead of the original Kalashnikov, firing close to 650 rounds a minutes.

Ironically, the gun's developers are not worried about the changes as such, but the time required in the process.

Special permission to make 120 new TARs, with the issue resolved, has been obtained from the 'AK-47'(OFB). But it may not take less than 7-8 months to finish the job. The delay will be more procedural than technical, say sources.

Making certain parts will need outsourcing of raw materials. Being a government organization, the entire process of issuing tenders, evaluating bids and getting final approval will have to be followed. This will consume most of the time in coming up with the new rifle.

Trials were conducted by representatives of various forces like ITBP, BSF, CRPF and Seema Suraksha Bal. Officials of one of the paramilitary forces evaluating the rifle insisted on early modification, so that a decision is taken on acquiring the indigenous weapon. "There are chances that they may have to go for imports if the rectified version is not put up soon," a source said.

As far as the stoppages are concerned, they are said to be because of a simple mechanical reason say sources in the developing agency. To increase the rate of fire, the travel time for the bullet to leave the barrel was reduced. However, it was seen during rapid firing sessions that at times the subsequent bullet would reach the point where the empty cartridge of the first shot was yet to be ejected. A narrow ejection window also added to the problem, leading to the jamming.

One does not encounter such a problem in the original AK-47 even when the bullets are fired rapidly, because enough time gap is ensured between the travel of two bullets and throwing out of the empty cartridge. Similar changes will have to be made in the Indian gun too. The travel time will be increased so that there is a gap between two rounds and diameter of the ejection window will also be increased.

Such jamming is not a frequent problem, but will have to be solved. This will reduce the rate of fire to 650 rounds a minute, sources said.

The developers call it a new rifle altogether, as the mechanism which pushes the bullet is different from the AK-47 developed by Russia's Mikhail Kalashnikov. In fact, ordnance factory had developed a rifle similar to AK-47, but Kalashnikov himself had raised copyright objections.

So, a new rifle, which pushes the bullet through a tilting breach block rather than a rotating system like in the Russian version, was developed. It hoped to do away with the copyright hassles, sources said. The gun was developed based on feedback from troops in paramilitary forces, including those in Naxal-hit areas, who preferred an AK-like weapon instead of the INSAS.

Army prefers multi-barrel rifles

The ordnance factory is targeting paramilitary forces to sell the rifle rather than the army, since the latter is already going ahead with the purchase of multi-calibre rifles. The army is scouting the international market to buy rifles with interchangeable barrels of different calibres, like 7.52, 5.56 and 6.68mm. Talks are underway with US' Colt, Baretta from Italy and Israeli Military Industry (IMI). The ordnance factory is not in the fray for multi-barrel rifles so far. Experts also believe it would not be practical for a soldier to use such a weapon. Moreover, after initial procurement there are chances that subsequent batches of the multi-barrel rifles may be made in India itself, a source said.:sick:

Not going great guns

The TAR has been built to fire faster than the AK 47 but the very speed which was its USP is also the reason for stoppages during rapid fire. This is because by the time one bullet is shot off and the empty cartridge thrown out, the other one already reaches the same point in the gun. At times, after prolonged fire, it creates a sort of traffic jam in the gun, leading to stoppages.

In the AK 47, on the other hand, the timing is such that rapid firing is a smooth affair. This is because enough time gap is ensured between the travel of two bullets and the process of throwing out of the empty cartridge.

Ordnance Factory hopes to reduce the stoppages in the TAR by increasing the time lag. But even after this, TAR will be able to fire 650 rounds a minute, 50 more than the AK.

The developers apprehend more of a procedural delay than a technical one, due to the slow pace at which government departments function.
:argh::angry:

A rectified TAR will have to be presented well in time to make it a choice over imports.

Indian 'AK-47' too fast for its own good - The Times of India

Isn't this gun too outdated for 2012.
They certainly can't be thinking of using for F-INSAS.

Isn't this gun too outdated for 2012.
They certainly can't be thinking of using for F-INSAS.

As stated in the article this Trinchy doesn't even interest the IA and the F-INSAS rifle will almost certainly now be an advanced foreign one.
Indian 'AK-47' too fast for its own good

NAGPUR: Even as soldiers in combat zones insist on carrying AK-47s instead of the indigenous INSAS rifles, a home-made AK-like weapon has finally appealed to the paramilitary forces. However, the Indian rifle, originally designed to fire faster than the Russian Kalashnikov itself, may have to slow down a bit, just to ensure smooth shooting. This process may delay its introduction by 7-8 months.

Called the Trichy Assault Rifle (TAR), the gun is being developed at the Tiruchirapalli Ordnance Factory in Tamil Nadu. The faster firing capacity was the USP for the Indian AK. It could fire 800 bullets in a minute as against 600 from the Russian rifle.:smokin:

However, this speed has also led to a hitch, which was noticed during trials held recently. There were stoppages during firing at times. Rectifying the error will lead to a lower firing rate, even though the Indian version is expected to remain ahead of the original Kalashnikov, firing close to 650 rounds a minutes.

Ironically, the gun's developers are not worried about the changes as such, but the time required in the process.

Special permission to make 120 new TARs, with the issue resolved, has been obtained from the 'AK-47'(OFB). But it may not take less than 7-8 months to finish the job. The delay will be more procedural than technical, say sources.

Making certain parts will need outsourcing of raw materials. Being a government organization, the entire process of issuing tenders, evaluating bids and getting final approval will have to be followed. This will consume most of the time in coming up with the new rifle.

Trials were conducted by representatives of various forces like ITBP, BSF, CRPF and Seema Suraksha Bal. Officials of one of the paramilitary forces evaluating the rifle insisted on early modification, so that a decision is taken on acquiring the indigenous weapon. "There are chances that they may have to go for imports if the rectified version is not put up soon," a source said.

As far as the stoppages are concerned, they are said to be because of a simple mechanical reason say sources in the developing agency. To increase the rate of fire, the travel time for the bullet to leave the barrel was reduced. However, it was seen during rapid firing sessions that at times the subsequent bullet would reach the point where the empty cartridge of the first shot was yet to be ejected. A narrow ejection window also added to the problem, leading to the jamming.

One does not encounter such a problem in the original AK-47 even when the bullets are fired rapidly, because enough time gap is ensured between the travel of two bullets and throwing out of the empty cartridge. Similar changes will have to be made in the Indian gun too. The travel time will be increased so that there is a gap between two rounds and diameter of the ejection window will also be increased.

Such jamming is not a frequent problem, but will have to be solved. This will reduce the rate of fire to 650 rounds a minute, sources said.

The developers call it a new rifle altogether, as the mechanism which pushes the bullet is different from the AK-47 developed by Russia's Mikhail Kalashnikov. In fact, ordnance factory had developed a rifle similar to AK-47, but Kalashnikov himself had raised copyright objections.

So, a new rifle, which pushes the bullet through a tilting breach block rather than a rotating system like in the Russian version, was developed. It hoped to do away with the copyright hassles, sources said. The gun was developed based on feedback from troops in paramilitary forces, including those in Naxal-hit areas, who preferred an AK-like weapon instead of the INSAS.

Army prefers multi-barrel rifles

The ordnance factory is targeting paramilitary forces to sell the rifle rather than the army, since the latter is already going ahead with the purchase of multi-calibre rifles. The army is scouting the international market to buy rifles with interchangeable barrels of different calibres, like 7.52, 5.56 and 6.68mm. Talks are underway with US' Colt, Baretta from Italy and Israeli Military Industry (IMI). The ordnance factory is not in the fray for multi-barrel rifles so far. Experts also believe it would not be practical for a soldier to use such a weapon. Moreover, after initial procurement there are chances that subsequent batches of the multi-barrel rifles may be made in India itself, a source said.:sick:

Not going great guns

The TAR has been built to fire faster than the AK 47 but the very speed which was its USP is also the reason for stoppages during rapid fire. This is because by the time one bullet is shot off and the empty cartridge thrown out, the other one already reaches the same point in the gun. At times, after prolonged fire, it creates a sort of traffic jam in the gun, leading to stoppages.

In the AK 47, on the other hand, the timing is such that rapid firing is a smooth affair. This is because enough time gap is ensured between the travel of two bullets and the process of throwing out of the empty cartridge.

Ordnance Factory hopes to reduce the stoppages in the TAR by increasing the time lag. But even after this, TAR will be able to fire 650 rounds a minute, 50 more than the AK.

The developers apprehend more of a procedural delay than a technical one, due to the slow pace at which government departments function.
:argh::angry:

A rectified TAR will have to be presented well in time to make it a choice over imports.

Indian 'AK-47' too fast for its own good - The Times of India

This article really frustrated me when I first read it. Shoddy defence reporting, boasting about how many rounds it can fire in a minute? Any seasoned soldier will tell you those RPM figures don't mean s**t in the field as if you're carrying a 30 round mag then you're going to have to reload which isn't taken into account by these RPM figures. Hence you're never really going to notice the difference 100-150 RPM either way. But what any soldier would tell you is reliability is what really counts in the field, you've got to be able to count on your weapon when you need it but in this case the reliability has been compromised/affected by the higher (relative) RPM advantage- which I have already established is pointless. Not to mention a professional solider will tell you (and what is the practice for IA/CAPFs) you never really fire in full auto but in 2-3 round bursts, hence the higher RPM counts for nought). Hence what the OFB have achieved is make a faster shooting gun that is less reliable than what is currently in use and utterly irrelevant.

This is purely based on RPM, and the TAR may have many other advantages over the AK like ergonomics, weight, accessories firing caratersitics etc.

As stated in the article this Trinchy doesn't even interest the IA and the F-INSAS rifle will almost certainly now be an advanced foreign one.

This article really frustrated me when I first read it. Shoddy defence reporting, boasting about how many rounds it can fire in a minute? Any seasoned soldier will tell you those RPM figures don't mean s**t in the field as if you're carrying a 30 round mag then you're going to have to reload which isn't taken into account by these RPM figures. Hence you're never really going to notice the difference 100-150 RPM either way. But what any soldier would tell you is reliability is what really counts in the field, you've got to be able to count on your weapon when you need it but in this case the reliability has been compromised/affected by the higher (relative) RPM advantage- which I have already established is pointless. Not to mention a professional solider will tell you (and what is the practice for IA/CAPFs) you never really fire in full auto but in 2-3 round bursts, hence the higher RPM counts for nought). Hence what the OFB have achieved is make a faster shooting gun that is less reliable than what is currently in use and utterly irrelevant.

This is purely based on RPM, and the TAR may have many other advantages over the AK like ergonomics, weight, accessories firing caratersitics etc.

Exactly RPM matters only in LMG's and MMG's,in rifles it is just a beauty statement.Bang on with your dependent weapon part.In a gun you look at the toughness of the gun,how the barrel heats,its performance in cold bore,ease of reloading the magazine,design of sights is very very important and in modern era how easily it accepts night sights,ACOG's,UBGL and suppressor.

bl21ordnance2957779f.jpg

Trichy Assault Rifle.

India's own AK says the folks in Ordnance Factory of Tiruchi. Heavily influenced by the FAL.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom