What's new

Open-air quantum teleportation performed across a 97km lake

ChineseTiger1986

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Sending signals through fiber optic cable is reliable and fast, but because of internal absorption and other effects, they will lose photons—which is a problem when the number of photons being sent is small. This is of particular concern in quantum networks, which typically involve a small number of entangled photons. Direct transmission through free space (vacuum or air) experiences less photon loss, but it's very difficult to align a distant receiver perfectly with the transmitter so that photons arrive at their destination.

A group in China has made significant progress toward solving that problem, via a high accuracy pointing and tracking system. Using this method, Juan Yin and colleagues performed quantum teleportation (copying of a quantum state) using multiple entangled photons through open air between two stations 97 kilometers apart across a lake. Additionally, they demonstrated entanglement between two receivers separated by 101.8km, transmitted by a station on an island roughly halfway between them.

Though the authors do not make this clear in the paper, their method is currently limited to nighttime communication. Nevertheless, their results achieved larger distances for multi-photon teleportation and three-point entanglement than before, and the tracking system used may even enable ground-to-satellite quantum communication—at least if it happens at night.

Quantum communication requires transmitting an arbitrary quantum state between two points, similar to how ordinary communication sends bits (voice or other data) across distances. However, a quantum state is a small amount of information, typically carried by a single photon, so many methods used in ordinary communication are out of the question (including broadcasting).

In fiber optic quantum networks, photon loss is large over significant distances, requiring the use of quantum repeaters. Point-to-point free-space transmission—either open-air or through the vacuum of space—is better, though larger distances allow the beam of photons to disperse. Atmospheric turbulence also contributes to photon loss in the air, with the losses increasing the farther the signal must travel.

One of the biggest challenges in point-to-point communication, however, is target acquisition by the transmitter and/or receiver. If the ground shifts slightly due to settling or tectonic activity, or atmospheric turbulence makes the receiver appear to move, the laser transmitting the signal can miss its target entirely. With few photons to spare in quantum communication, real-time tracking and acquisition is necessary. The researchers solved this problem using beacon lasers, bright beams that carry no information, but can be used to aim both transmitter and receiver, and wide-angle cameras.

As usual in quantum entanglement experiments, the group created entangled photons by stimulating a crystal with ultraviolet light. This produces a pair of photons with the same wavelength, but opposite (and unknown) polarization values. These entangled photons were subsequently sent to detectors, where their polarization quantum states were measured and compared. In the first experiment, one photon was sent 97km across Qinghai Lake (using a telescope to focus the beam), while the second was analyzed locally. Using these photons, the researchers copied the quantum state from the laboratory to the far station, achieving quantum teleportation over a much larger distance than previously obtained.

However, quantum communication sometimes also requires coordination between two distant receivers, so the researchers set up the transmitter on an island in the lake. The receivers were 51.2 and 52.2 km from the photon source respectively, on opposite shores of Qinghai lake, forming a triangle with the transmitter. The distance between the receivers—101.8km—was far enough to create a 3 microsecond delay between measurements of the photon polarization.

Given this setup, there was no possible way for the two receiving stations to communicate. Yet the photons they registered were correlated, indicating entanglement was maintained.

These experiments provide not only a proof of principle for free-space quantum communication, but also a means to test the foundations of quantum theory over larger distances than before. With very large detector separation, quantum entanglement experiments can help differentiate between standard and alternative interpretations of the quantum theory.

Though the long-distance aspect is promising, the fact that they set up on the shores of a lake (where no intervening obstacles exist) and that the experiment could only be performed successfully at night indicate its limitations. Author Yuao Chen told Ars via e-mail that they are working on solving the problem for daytime communication, but since the signal consists of single photons, it's not clear how this will work—the number of received photons fluctuated with the position of the Moon, so noise appeared to be a significant problem for them. Point-to-point communication will need to solve that problem as well before satellite-to-ground quantum networks are practical.

Open-air quantum teleportation performed across a 97km lake | Ars Technica

quantum_network2_crop-640x535.jpg

The distance between the receivers—101.8km—was far enough to create a 3 microsecond delay between measurements of the photon polarization.

Given this setup, there was no possible way for the two receiving stations to communicate. Yet the photons they registered were correlated, indicating entanglement was maintained.

These experiments provide not only a proof of principle for free-space quantum communication, but also a means to test the foundations of quantum theory over larger distances than before. With very large detector separation, quantum entanglement experiments can help differentiate between standard and alternative interpretations of the quantum theory.

Proof of the pudding....awesome news... I was waiting for this! :drag:

So the launch schedule of 2015 for China's first quantum satellite is still on?:cheers:

So the launch schedule of 2015 for China's first quantum satellite is still on?:cheers:

Seriously, is something on the cards? Please elaborate.... I'd love to read more about it.

Great news..............

Krait, I seriously believe that the Yanks already have working QE satellites and quantum computers. The pigs just don't disclose it :mod:

Proof of the pudding....awesome news... I was waiting for this! :drag:

Think of the possibilities here. Even though a teleported electron (For obvious reasons) would make me jump around the house and possibly the neighborhood for hours like a mad man on steroids however proof of the possibility of teleportation could usher in a new era for humanity.

Well the new era will be so vastly different from our own we can say that everything before that point will seem like the humanity's dark ages in comparison. (Electron not Photon).

Seriously, is something on the cards? Please elaborate.... I'd love to read more about it.

Krait, I seriously believe that the Yanks already have working QE satellites and quantum computers. The pigs just don't disclose it :mod:
It reminds me of Philadelphia Experiment......I do think they may have achieved it as these topics are under research for years.

Think of the possibilities here. Even though a teleported electron (For obvious reasons) would make me jump around the house and possibly the neighborhood for hours like a mad man on steroids however proof of the possibility of teleportation could usher in a new era for humanity.

Well the new era will be so vastly different from our own we can say that everything before that point will seem like the humanity's dark ages in comparison. (Electron not Photon).

Think about a quantum camera on a rover in another solar system!

Seriously, I can attend another under-grad program just to get my teeth into it :cheers:

It reminds me of Philadelphia Experiment......I do think they may have achieved it as these topics are under research for years.

And the biggest give away is that no one is talking about it!

Think about a quantum camera on a rover in another solar system!

Seriously, I can attend another under-grad program just to get my teeth into it :cheers:

And the biggest give away is that no one is talking about it!

But how will you get the rover there?? That is the question. Teleport an electron and in time you can teleport all mass on earth to any coordinates in the universe. Key word here is "MASS"

But how will you get the rover there?? That is the question. Teleport an electron and in time you can teleport all mass on earth to any coordinates in the universe. Key word here is "MASS"
Not to forget arranging them in exact fashion...Billions and trillions of atoms....:blink:

No mate, at the moment it is more about entanglement, no teleportation yet!

Well, getting there is another problem... Best possible solution, bend a black hole :D

Are you a Physics major?

Not to forget arranging them in exact fashion...Billions and trillions of atoms....:blink:

Teleportation may or may not become true. But entanglement is a definite yes yes!

Therefore:
Quantum computing (yes yes)
Quantum communication (yes yes)
Teleportation of mass (no no) > never gonna happen in the standard way we think of, one day we maybe able to create artificial black holes and collapse them in a controlled manner around a space ship, hence, achieving instantaneous transportation. However, Start-Treks zapping machine doesn't seem possible!

It is official and in a lengthy report in Chinese。Here is machine-translated English version:

“Chinese Academy of Sciences has launched a strategic lead science and technology projects of space science, quantum science experimental satellite plans to launch around 2015.” said Pan Jianwei, his mentor, Professor Salinger learned to launch quantum satellite, made a special trip to China twice, and I hope to be able to cooperate in this work. “Not long ago, Salinger, Professor and President of the Austrian Academy of Sciences a visit to the Academy of Sciences, signed a cooperation agreement intercontinental quantum key distribution with us. Just 70 years old in 2015, my mentor, he said that to accomplish this very important experimental challenge is the last wish of his life. “

Full article: China intends to launch in 2015 quantum satellite - Inside China

Actually if we look at Michael Green's String Theory equations we may find that arranging them won't be difficult at all as it will rearrange itself in its last known electromagnetic framework.

However sadly string theory is still a theory (I am supporter of this theory and it would totally suck if it was proven wrong :sad: )

No mate, at the moment it is more about entanglement, no teleportation yet!

Well, getting there is another problem... Best possible solution, bend a black hole :D

Are you a Physics major?

Teleportation may or may not become true. But entanglement is a definite yes yes!

Therefore:
Quantum computing (yes yes)
Quantum communication (yes yes)
Teleportation of mass (no no) > never gonna happen in the standard way we think of, one day we maybe able to create artificial black holes and collapse them in a controlled manner around a space ship.

No I am a Medical Student but Physics is an area of interest of mine.

And no you are not looking at it from the correct angle. Instead of asking "How to make a blackhole?" You should ask "WHAT is a blackhole?" What makes a blackhole? And as we know nothing in this universe of ours is random and everything follows a set of rules which means when these rules become "True" in a given 4D location a certain phenomena occurs (Wither it is a sun or a simply an apple falling due to gravity).

So answer these questions and there ya go you got a way to get around the entire universe in 0 seconds (Granted that BlackHoles do as theorists presume of teleportation in the first place instead of a perhaps negative energy canceling positive energy out in the universe reducing it to nothing).

the last wish of his life.

My last wish. Cloning on demand (I have some SUPREME DNA's to bring to life) :D
Second last wish: Complete understanding and practical application of Black Holes.
Third last: Quantum computing and communications and to get rid of ALL THE WIRES and EM emitters from the face of the earth. = Imagine a day when RIPE offers IP's based on quantum frequency of your machine!

China is one of leaders, if not best!!
I heard that the quantum communication will solve the problem of submarine communication in real time, and quantum communication is much safer!

Back
Top Bottom