What's new

One dead in Bangladesh as violent clashes spread

Sugarcane

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Protesters from Bangladesh's largest Islamic party clashed with security forces in cities across the country on Tuesday in violence that has left one dead, police said.

Jamaat-e-Islami called a strike on Tuesday to protest against the arrest and trial of its leaders, who face charges of war crimes during the country's 1971 liberation struggle.

An 18-year-old youth was shot dead on Monday night during clashes in the northern town of Chirirbandar, 300 kilometres (180 miles) from the capital Dhaka, and unrest spread to other cities on Tuesday.

Jamaat supporters torched and damaged about 20 vehicles in Dhaka on Tuesday and 69 people were detained on charges of violence.

Violence was also reported in the eastern town of Brahmanbaria and in the cities of Sylhet, Rajshahi and Narayanganj.

The dead 18-year-old was admitted to hospital on Monday with a gun shot wound to the head after a demonstration at which police admitted firing live ammunition to control the crowd, hospital and police sources said.

"We fired seven rounds of live bullets, rubber bullets and tear gas shells," local police chief Tariqul Islam told AFP, saying that the cause of the activist's death was unclear.

Shihidul Islam, a nurse at Rangpur Medical College Hospital, said the activist died as he was brought to the clinic. "He has a bullet shot in his head," he told AFP.

The government blames Jamaat for much of the killing in the bloody nine-month war against Pakistan, in which it says about three million people died.

But the International Crimes Tribunal (ICT), created in 2010 to try war crimes suspects, has been widely criticised as being a political tool for the ruling Awami League government to target its opponents.

One dead in Bangladesh as violent clashes spread | Bangkok Post: news

only Significant point is - this was the first time a hartal was called and made successful country wide by a third party - not Awami BNP

Jamat has surprised everyone with this hartal, especially Awami mallu. BNP must be wondering how the hell jamat done it without BNP's help. BNP has some calculation to do.

Al-Zakir i don't wanna insult... but i have found it everywhere that Jamatis are insulting BNP walas... But remember... BNP's only weakness at present is war criminals of Jamat, it enjoys overwhelming support in Bangladesh, enough to blow league away! But BNP is respecting its alliance by working as umbrella to awami assualts! people should at least remain grateful and keep quiet...

Al-Zakir i don't wanna insult... but i have found it everywhere that Jamatis are insulting BNP walas... But remember... BNP's only weakness at present is war criminals of Jamat, it enjoys overwhelming support in Bangladesh, enough to blow league away! But BNP is respecting its alliance by working as umbrella to awami assualts! people should at least remain grateful and keep quiet...

I am not sure if I understant what you meant.

Jamat is doing a wonderful job, they dont need bnp to free their leaders. This strike has done wonders even cnn and cbs has picked it up. BAL is going down.

I am not sure if I understant what you meant.

Was not talking about you... But Many Jamat supporters are criticizing BNP for their Incompetency - while Jamat needs A Bangla Spring immediately to save their Leaders, BNP doesnt need it Right now... They are preparing for election times.....

My point is online Jamatis in facebook pages should stop criticizing BNP as it didnt leave Jamat alone...

Roughly 380 days approx till elections.

54 weeks approx

If things continue at this rate the army may have to step in again.

Hasina, Khaleda and others may once again be enjoying the delights of Bangladeshi prison food.

Roughly 380 days approx till elections.

54 weeks approx

If things continue at this rate the army may have to step in again.

Hasina, Khaleda and others may once again be enjoying the delights of Bangladeshi prison food.

Khaleda was never in jail. You can put them in jail, but you cant keep them there forever. Last time the army failed to run the country, in fact they nearly destroyed our country's businesses with the massive arrests. Bangladeshi army is not good for running the country, only thing they know is how to pick up the ration at the end of the month and parade. Even BDR kills them, rapes their daughters and wives and leaves.

Khaleda was never in jail. You can put them in jail, but you cant keep them there forever. Last time the army failed to run the country, in fact they nearly destroyed our country's businesses with the massive arrests. Bangladeshi army is not good for running the country, only thing they know is how to pick up the ration at the end of the month and parade. Even BDR kills them, rapes their daughters and wives and leaves.

1. The army has its flaws but it saved Bangladesh in 2008 with the Awami League threatening to besiege Dhaka (the national capital of a sovereign UN member state) and even hints of dividing the country, with the takeover.

2. The Fakhruddin government also had its flaws but it was far more efficient and productive.

3. If there is a new military-backed technocratic government they will not repeat the mistakes of last time.

Minus 2 was not implemented last time as the US sabotaged it, but this time it may become a reality.

Muhammad Yunus and Andaleev Rahman are names to watch out for according to my sources.

1. The army has its flaws but it saved Bangladesh in 2008 with the Awami League threatening to besiege Dhaka (the national capital of a sovereign UN member state) and even hints of dividing the country, with the takeover.

2. The Fakhruddin government also had its flaws but it was far more efficient and productive.

3. If there is a new military-backed technocratic government they will not repeat the mistakes of last time.

Minus 2 was not implemented last time as the US sabotaged it, but this time it may become a reality.

Muhammad Yunus and Andaleev Rahman are names to watch out for according to my sources.

....Bangladesh has 2 major parties. One is left of the political spectrum, the other to the right. One has religious ideology and pro business, the other more secular with liberal values. Just like the democratic and the republican party of USA. Our country has come a long way since we embraced democracy with putting up 6% growth.
Even 10 to 15 years ago, we used to have hartals atleast 5 times a month, now it has curbed down to ones a month. Various reforms have taken place which have increased our hdi and living standard in the path of democracy. What we need is more reforms, there is a clause in our constitution xalled 70 ko, where if MPs from their respective parties vote against their own party at the parliament then their parliament membership maybe cancelled. This has to change for the sake of democracy, but for a poor country like Bangladesh this has its downsides due to corruption and the need for more.
Having a fascist government would put everything in jeopardy, the progress we made. What makes you so sure the next government will be any less corrupt? The russian revolution along with the french revolution has taught us otherwise. Andaleeb Rahman is as corrupt as it gets, his father was as corrupt as it got. He runs a big voip business ring just like Joy and is married to Sheikh Selim's daughter. He is a likeable charecter due to his charm and his thousand dollar suits, besides that he is a power hungry indian dalal through and through..

Was not talking about you... But Many Jamat supporters are criticizing BNP for their Incompetency - while Jamat needs A Bangla Spring immediately to save their Leaders, BNP doesnt need it Right now... They are preparing for election times.....

My point is online Jamatis in facebook pages should stop criticizing BNP as it didnt leave Jamat alone...

If BNP goes to elections without Jamaat they willl lose. Both parties need each other simply to survive. BNP have not shown they can organise a sustained movement against the government.

Andaleev Rahman is an Indian agent. He spent 10 years in India absconding after killing a fellow student. His father was one of the most corrupt people in Bangladesh. If he comes to power he will be worse than Sheikh Kamal.

The army did not save the country in 2008. The army saved itself in 2008 by rigging the elections and allowing the AL to come to power. Fakhruddin was a worthless government that created more problems then it solved. How do I know so much. I worked with DGFI at the time. What were you doing?

The only thing the fokhruddin government did good during that reign was going after my chacha:lol:

Bnp cannot sustain without jamaat and she knows it

Back
Top Bottom