What's new

Obsolete before old: What’s the lifespan of your laptop?

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The facts are

a) We use a fraction of the facilities in most of the electronics / IT gadgets we pay for

b) Instead of selling us upgrades to existing devices manufacturers compel us to buy new ones.

Obsolete before old: What

It’s difficult to specify the lifespan of laptops, as they are so often junked before they are broken. This is in part due to planned obsolescence — a devious ploy by manufacturers bolstered by marketing strategies to make us fall out of love with a product hastily. In IT,
planned obsolescence has been turbocharged by must-have software which is only upwardly compatible. Want better software? You’ll need a better machine.

Planned obsolescence’s running mate is Moore’s law, which decrees that every two years the computing world doubles the amount of transistors on a computer chip and therefore the power of the computer. So you might say the average lifespan of a laptop is two years. Gulp. One metric tonne of electronic scrap from personal computers contains more gold than that recovered from 17 tonnes of gold ore.

Where will it all end? Moore’s law should see transistors miniaturising every two years until we reach technological singularity — the point at which computers gain human-level intelligence and can build better versions of themselves. Others think time will soon be up on Moore’s law, as computers will run out of matter and energy — by 2007, computers were reckoned to be drawing 4-5% of the world’s power. Heat is the enemy of Moore’s law. Those transistors packed on chips must be kept cool, so must the vast data storage centres, whose energy consumption, in 2010, was growing by 12% a year.

We need to keep our cool, too. There’s a huge amount of skill and knowledge online about how to make old computers worth their weight in gold. People who have dealt with IT for not-for-profits where there has never been much money for shiny new IT are particularly expert. Try Itforcharities.co.uk for a list of organisations waiting to take on your “obsolete” model and Jayne Cravens’ postings on “old tech” at coyotecommunications.com.

An untold truth is that we use a tiny fraction of each computer’s capacity: you could say we’re already outwitted by them. Unless we wise up, we’ll soon be overtaken by the machines.

Lucy Siegle, New York Times

Well, my phone already 5yrs old and still working perfectly.

PS : my pc is also 4 years old. Going to buy a new laptop after my 12th exams.

Well, my phone already 5yrs old and still working perfectly.

I too am comfortable with my old trustworthy Nokia.

It falls a hundred times, often opens up too. I simply dust it & reassemble the battery & cover - its works.

I am under immense pressure from friends, family & colleagues to replace it with a fancy new one because it ' doesn't look nice' and ' should behove the status' .

Why should I change it ? On a new expensive phone the quality of calls will still be the same - my wife will still call me to get bread & eggs on the way home ( after some years of marriage that's all one gets to hear), my customers will still say the same things to me, my colleagues & friends will send the same jokes to me, my boss will crib in the same manner. Only I shall be poorer by a couple of thousands to hear the same things.

Not to mention the fact that I shall pay a bomb to get the touch screen replaced each time the bloody thing falls down.

Our consumerism helps these Multinationals laugh their way to the bank.

Our consumerism helps these Multinationals laugh their way to the bank.

Watch out for the next generation of smartphones, they have 8-core CPU's!!!

ZTE 8 core smartphone - New Gadget's Detail TechView

Just DON'T ask what you need a smartphone with an 8-core processor for. Hell, even the current generation of smartphones have quad-core and dual-core processors all around and no one asks why.

My phone is 5 years old too, an oppo phone, I am waiting and hoping for it stopping work, then I can buy a new one.

And I use one lenovo Laptop, made in May.2009, I had it with 2870RMB(455 $) in 2009, still working perfectly,only 40 temperature in degrees Celsius,now.

Computer models Lenovo 3000 G430 laptop
Operating system Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3 (DirectX 9.0c)

Processor Intel Celeron (Celeron) dual-core T3000@1.80GHz
Motherboard Lenovo LE7 (Intel 4 Series - ICH9M notebook chipset)
Memory 2 GB (holy creator Lexus DDR2 667MHz)
Main hard disk Hitachi HTS543225L9A300 (250 GB / 5400 rpm / min)
Graphics Intel GL40/GM45/GM47/GS45 Graphics Controller (256 MB / Lenovo)
Monitor Chunghwa Picture Tubes (Taiwan) CPT1799 (14 inches)
The drive Sony-NEC Optiarc CDRWDVD CRX890S Herbalife
Fidelity audio sound card Conexant HD SmartAudio 221 @ Intel 82801I (ICH9)
NIC Broadcom BCM5906M NetLink Fast Ethernet / Lenovo

Watch out for the next generation of smartphones, they have 8-core CPU's!!!

ZTE 8 core smartphone - New Gadget's Detail TechView

Just DON'T ask what you need a smartphone with an 8-core processor for. Hell, even the current generation of smartphones have quad-core and dual-core processors all around and no one asks why.

Silly as I may sound , but thats just the point I wanted to make.

I have no idea how many ' cores' my existing phone has but it works well for me. I talk, check my mail, text and play games occasionally when I have the time or have to wait at airports for instance.

Its like the ads you see for consumer items - Improved shaving creams or sun screen lotions etc with PX or some great invention man has made - who the hell knows what PX or some silly acronym is or does but we buy it .

My granddad & dad used a conventional razor which they sharpened on a leather strap. I have not found them looking shabby or unkempt in any of the old family pictures. In any case they look better than I do having shaved with a Gillette with 5 blades and an adjustable head. In the earlier days the man adjusted his head according to the razor blade , now we want the razor to adjust for us and pay a bomb for it !

I am fairly guilty of the charge. I absolutely love electronics the way chicks love shoes and handbags. But I stopped buying laptops a while back - I just stick to netbooks and tablets. Far easier to carry and if I need a big screen, I just attach the netbooks to a 22 inch monitor and use a wireless keyboard/mouse.

8 cores in a tiny phone.? Hell it's a superphone nota smartphone. But whats the use of so much processing power in a phone?

I am fairly guilty of the charge. I absolutely love electronics the way chicks love shoes and handbags. But I stopped buying laptops a while back - I just stick to netbooks and tablets. Far easier to carry and if I need a big screen, I just attach the netbooks to a 22 inch monitor and use a wireless keyboard/mouse.

If you have the use for what you pay for - by all means go ahead .

I am reproducing two images I have posted here on a diff thread. These I feel would illustrate my point on how we use the electronics we have and what it has made us .

exXPD.jpg

dsTzU.jpg

8 cores in a tiny phone.? Hell it's a superphone nota smartphone. But whats the use of so much processing power in a phone?

Don't ask. :azn:

They will invent a reason soon... and the consumers will go out and buy it. People are already buying quad-core phones like crazy, what is the big deal with going to 8-cores right? :rofl:

Don't ask. :azn:

They will invent a reason soon... and the consumers will go out and buy it. People are already buying quad-core phones like crazy, what is the big deal with going to 8-cores right? :rofl:

crazy people. My nokia phone can do almost anything an Iphone/Android phone can do. :)

crazy people. My nokia phone can do almost anything an Iphone/Android phone can do. :)

You're right of course. :tup:

But that is not the point, the point is that we should now buy a phone with 16-cores because why not.

Everyone needs something in their pocket that can run Molecular Dynamics Simulation, 3D Nuclear Simulations, and break 256-bit encrypted Classified documents without breaking a sweat.

Also, all the supercomputers in Hong Kong University are booked and I need one in my pocket NOW. :D

-

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom