Reaction score
Country
India
VIENNA:
HIGHLIGHTS
  1. Crucial meet of nuclear trading group NSG in Vienna today
  2. US says India must be admitted, China says not ok
  3. If India is allowed, Pakistan must be too, says China
China is leading the opposition to India joining the main club of countriesthat control access to sensitive nuclear technology, diplomats said on Thursday as the group met in Vienna to discuss India's membership bid, filed in May.

The 48-nation Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) trades in advanced nuclear material and technology while restricting the sale of items that can be used to make nuclear arms.

After meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the White House on Thursday, President Barack Obama pledgedAmerica's backing for India to be given a seat in the NSG.
pm-modi-obama-handshake-afp_650x400_81465364111.jpg

US has backed India's bid to enter the elite Nuclear Suppliers Group.

But China is reiterating that if India is allowed to join, so must Pakistan, which is Beijing's close ally.

"China, if anything, is hardening (its position)," said an unnamed diplomat to news agency Reuters.

Sartaj Aziz, who functions as Pakistan's Foreign Minister, has been phoning NSG members like Russia and South Korea, advocating a "non-discriminatory approach" that would not distinguish between Delhi and Islamabad.

That would be unacceptable to many members, given Pakistan's track record -the father of its nuclear weapons programme sold nuclear secrets to countries including North Korea and Iran.

A decision on India is not expected before an NSG plenary meeting in Seoul on June 20, but diplomats say Washington has been pressuring hold-outs, and today's closed-door meeting in Vienna was a chance to see how strong opposition is.

US Secretary of State John Kerry has written to members asking them "not to block consensus on Indian admission to the NSG" according to a letter quoted by news agency Reuters.

Other than China, countries opposing Indian membership include New Zealand, Ireland, Turkey, South Africa and Austria, diplomats said.

India already enjoys most of the benefits of membership under a 2008 exemption to NSG rules granted to support its nuclear cooperation deal with Washington, even though India has developed atomic weapons and never signed the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), the main global arms control pact.

Most of the hold-outs oppose the idea of admitting a non-NPT state such as India and argue that if it is to be admitted, it should be under criteria that apply equally to all states rather than under a "tailor-made" solution for India on account of its strengthened relationship with the US.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/at-c...-stand-against-india-in-nuke-club-nsg-1417236

Chinese national interest..... Yesterday US -PAK converged. Today PAK-China Convergence . Tomorow? So there is no space for this ill conceved love. Reality.
Yesterday Russia India love today India US love so there is no space for this ill conceved love .. reality what a waste of bandwith ,Any ways US needs India ,China needs Pak ,so grow up

Yesterday Russia India love today India US love so there is no space for this ill conceved love .. reality what a waste of bandwith ,Any ways US needs India ,China needs Pak ,so grow up
In the world of diplomacy u guys suck. Yesterday-today we have relation with Russia which u cant dream of . As for US example U messed it up big time , on the other hand we are doing it as it fits our National interest.
And as a matter of fact we dont go ranting we love.....

In the world of diplomacy u guys suck. Yesterday-today we have relation with Russia which u cant dream of . As for US example U messed it up big time , on the other hand we are doing it as it fits our National interest.
And as a matter of fact we dont go ranting we love.....
Diplomacy !!! My friend you will soon understand the meaning of it when you play with big boy US . frankly do you really think US wants to make India that big that it would be threat like China

We seriously need to up a notch our foreign policy. We need aggressive stance and continue engage all countries of the NSG for a Non discriminatory approach towards both India and Pakistan and not selective approach based on liking such is the case with US.

First of all why we want a place in NSG .. If it's just for ego or for a boost to our image to be a serious nuclear power, then we all know it's an utter hogwash.

We have Uranium agreement with 8 nations already.
We are getting nuclear plants frok russia, France , USA/japan
We are having a present.plan for 60 N.plants which is going slow as of now..

I don't see any significant gain from NSG. Yes MTCR was important for us from technology front...

We should concentrate on economics part of nuclear energy and create a small.niche sustainable export markets for our own.PHWR, thorium based reactor and fast breeder series..

Look for smaller players who can sustain small design and small output range. Couple it up with long term loans of 30-50 years by EXIM bank backed by some world financial body (back to back line of credit).

All this will get us much more credibility rather than a seat in NSG.

Of course it's my personal view.. I am sure many may disagree..

Sadly the way China is portrayed as the biggest enemy and stumbling block against India in NSG is all being done in behest of media who is manipulated for pro India USA TIES. basically all this so called opposition will be used by both USA and Indian government to shore up military ties further.

So China took the bet set by USA !!!!

Good luck un good bye China :rofl:

Last edited:
Yes spot on ,It is not in interest of many to see rise of Asia .

Sadly the way China is portrayed as the biggest enemy and stumbling block against India in NSG is all being done in behest of media who is manipulated for pro India USA TIES. basically all this so called opposition will be used by both USA and Indian government to shore up military ties further.

Regarding this you are mistaken why there is a significance to it as it paved the way for SC seat .
First of all why we want a place in NSG .. If it's just for ego or for a boost to our image to be a serious nuclear power, then we all know it's an utter hogwash.

We have Uranium agreement with 8 nations already.
We are getting nuclear plants frok russia, France , USA/japan
We are having a present.plan for 60 N.plants which is going slow as of now..

I don't see any significant gain from NSG. Yes MTCR was important for us from technology front...

We should concentrate on economics part of nuclear energy and create a small.niche sustainable export markets for our own.PHWR, thorium based reactor and fast breeder series..

Look for smaller players who can sustain small design and small output range. Couple it up with long term loans of 30-50 years by EXIM bank backed by some world financial body (back to back line of credit).

All this will get us much more credibility rather than a seat in NSG.

Of course it's my personal view.. I am sure many may disagree..

u r right that we do not need NSG membership to buy uranium or power reactors
we seeking it for various reasons
1 to sell nuclear plants i see that happening with in a decade
2 once a NSG member pakistan wont ever get in or get any waiver
3 it may be small but surely a step towards UN permanent membership
4 with NSG membership R&D in nuclear field will speed up manifolds

Diplomacy !!! My friend you will soon understand the meaning of it when you play with big boy US . frankly do you really think US wants to make India that big that it would be threat like China
I feel the US knows that Bharat could never became so powerful to threaten the US like China. Bharat just does not have it in her for a multitude of reasons; althought she will endevaor nontheless. I feel she can become a regional power but not global.

AFAIK, for export of nuclear materials, NSG membership is almost a must for certain certification standards from IAEA.

As long as we are mostly import dependent and are fine enriching using early generation tech, NSG-waiver + bilateral deals for fuel/reactors are sufficient. But we need a NSG membership or similar corollary in the long term when our industry matures for optimised supply chain + feasible exports.

Frankly do you think we are not aware of this? For US its their National interest and for us its ours, any other thought is just a joke. We have been doing the balance act for sometime and I dont see why not in future.
NSG and MTCR are recognition . With US support it is really around the corner .

I feel the US knows that Bharat could never became so powerful to threaten the US like China. Bharat just does not have it in her for a multitude of reasons; althought she will endevaor nontheless. I feel she can become a regional power but not global.
My friend this is the same time in 1990`s when Chinese were encouraged to settle ,study in US to take care of rest of Asian economies by Uncle ,Its the same story again

Frankly do you think we are not aware of this? For US its their National interest and for us its ours, any other thought is just a joke. We have been doing the balance act for sometime and I dont see why not in future.
NSG and MTCR are recognition . With US support it is really around the corner .
Its not that simple ,World has changed and Pak has friends as well or world is still left with morally conscious countries ,not all are like India who only wants to take advantage from others

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom