What's new

Northrop Grumman wins the Long Range Strike Bomber Contract

I wonder if they will show a picture of it and give the nickname like the other bombers like "Spirit" and "Lancer"

I think Northrop has this one but idk, the Lockheed-Boeing juggernaut is pretty formidable.

interesting, why is Usa starting a new bomber project? You have B-2 stealth bombers, are you looking for faster and smaller bombers?

interesting, why is Usa starting a new bomber project?

To make sure this.
Russian-S-400-Triumf-Air-Defence-Missile-Systems-650x433.jpg

And this.
HQ-9-TEL-Stowed-1S.jpg

Become as effective as this.
09-shooting-arrow.jpg

Staying ahead of emerging and expected threats is vital to a military's survivability and operational capacity.

Stream just started

It's already leaked that Northrop has won the contract!

Northrop Grumman Wins USAF Bomber Contract

No surprise. NG builds them best.

From the YB-49.
YB49-2_300.jpg

To the B-2.
B-2_Spirit_original.jpg

X-47B.
X-47B_receiving_fuel_from_a_707_tanker_while_operating_in_the_Atlantic_Test_Ranges.jpg

And now LRSB?
Mystery-plane-over-Wichita-new.jpg

NG has a strong pedigree.

564 million per aircraft in 2016 dollars.

IOC in 2025

Unfortunately, no bomber designation or image.

They did confirm that it will have worldwide strike reach from the US. If that's without refueling, the engines must be incredible.

LaPlante: “We’re going to do something that, as far as we know, has never been done before on a major platform.”

As to what this "something" is, it's anyone guess

My guess is is that we won't see this thing until at least 2020. They awarded the B-2 contract in 81 and didn't release a public image until 88. So we just have to be patient...

Last edited:
LaPlante: “We’re going to do something that, as far as we know, has never been done before on a major platform.”

As to what this "something" is, it's anyone guess

I've got my finger crossed for UAV launch and recovery. To my knowledge this has never been done before with an unmanned aircraft, though the parasite fighter concept did experiment with such using the RF-84K.
ficon_00.jpg

And XF-85
1280px-McDonnell_XF-85_Goblin_and_EB-29_mothership.jpg

Could an enlarged F-22 type trapeze be used for ejection and recovery of UAVs? It wouldn't surprise me considering the US military has talked about mother-ship designs, including flying aircraft carriers.
F-22-sidewinder-bay.jpg

Like everyone else, I really don't have the slightest idea where to look though. The US military is highly innovative.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom