What's new

Northrop Acoustic Nose Arrays for Indian Navy’s Raytheon MK-54 Torpedo

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India

img_1464.jpg

The Indian Navy will procure acoustic nose arrays from Northrop Grumman for its recently acquired MK54 lightweight torpedoes.

In 2012, India through a Foreign Military Sale awarded Raytheon a contract to obtain lightweight air-launched Mk-54 torpedoes. However, details regarding the value and size of both contracts have been withheld.

The Mark 54 Lightweight Hybrid Torpedo (LHT) is a standard 12.75 inch (324 mm) antisubmarine warfare (ASW) torpedo developed to counter very high performance nuclear submarines.

The Indian Navy plans to deploy the missiles on its eight newly acquired Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft although the torpedoes are primarily meant for hunting submarines.

The Mk 54 was created by combining the homing and warhead portions of the Mk 50 and the propulsion unit of the Mk 46, improved for better performance in shallow water, and with the addition of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) technology to further reduce costs.

In addition to the Indian Navy contract, Northrop Grumman also secured orders from the U.S and Australian Navies.

“The $45.9 million firm-fixed-price, cost-plus contract includes options that, if exercised, would bring the cumulative value of the contract to $294.3 million. The initial scope is for 428 nose arrays with a potential for as many as 3,000 over the life of the contract”, the company said in an official statement.

Link - Northrop Acoustic Nose Arrays for Indian Navy’s Raytheon MK-54 Torpedo | idrw.org

img_1464.jpg

The Indian Navy will procure acoustic nose arrays from Northrop Grumman for its recently acquired MK54 lightweight torpedoes.

In 2012, India through a Foreign Military Sale awarded Raytheon a contract to obtain lightweight air-launched Mk-54 torpedoes. However, details regarding the value and size of both contracts have been withheld.

The Mark 54 Lightweight Hybrid Torpedo (LHT) is a standard 12.75 inch (324 mm) antisubmarine warfare (ASW) torpedo developed to counter very high performance nuclear submarines.

The Indian Navy plans to deploy the missiles on its eight newly acquired Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft although the torpedoes are primarily meant for hunting submarines.

The Mk 54 was created by combining the homing and warhead portions of the Mk 50 and the propulsion unit of the Mk 46, improved for better performance in shallow water, and with the addition of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) technology to further reduce costs.

In addition to the Indian Navy contract, Northrop Grumman also secured orders from the U.S and Australian Navies.

“The $45.9 million firm-fixed-price, cost-plus contract includes options that, if exercised, would bring the cumulative value of the contract to $294.3 million. The initial scope is for 428 nose arrays with a potential for as many as 3,000 over the life of the contract”, the company said in an official statement.

Link - Northrop Acoustic Nose Arrays for Indian Navy’s Raytheon MK-54 Torpedo | idrw.org

Really a hell for submarines and ships(China). I can wait to see the 11 remaining will join the IN fleet. Also soon to see 18 more coming from USA???

img_1464.jpg

It will Make it a Real Wonder IF BRAHMOS is Clubbed with this A/c..........Ops Neighbours!!

its really necessary nw to strengthen our ASW capabilities..as our underwater capababilities are dwindling...no sign of sunshine till 2020 atleast...
we give p75 l contract asap to france further order scorpenes with atleast half of them manufactured in foreign yard.

For once, I am praying that we don't buy anything until the elections and a new government with a new policy.

I can confirm that we Chinese don't import such joke.

Wait ..... YOU chinese ..... So why in the hell are you ashemed of your country's flag ???

Anyways I tell you why dont you buy such jokes .... Cause nobody sell something like that to you. You are under santions from the world. Go thank Russia for selling you dam engines :rofl: otherwise :rofl: i will stop here unpeaceful ;)

P 8I is going to massively tilt the scales in favor of India as far as ASW is concerend. Nothing of this class is present in Asia Pacific region. A real game changer for Indian Navy.

igp1373761993.jpg

Back
Top Bottom