What's new

North Korea Defence Forum

Ain't a surprise, but then again if they are defectors then they would hardly have loved the place to begin with.
Would you like to live in North Korea? Ask yourself.

Any progressive-minded individual would defect from that place for better living standards abroad.

Would you like to live in North Korea? Ask yourself.

Obviously not, or I would have tried to move there.

Hong Kong is fine for me thank you.

The point is that defectors hardly give an objective image of the place they are running away from, obviously since they ran away from there.

Thanks for being honest. :)

Hong Kong is a wonderful place, I hear.

The point is that defectors hardly give an objective image of the place they are running away from, obviously since they ran away from there.
My friend,

I see your point but conditions in North Korea are actually deplorable. Another thing is that it is very difficult to leave your family and friends behind. Therefore, few would try that. And whoever manages to defect, has nothing good to say about his country in this case.

Well I certainly think so. :enjoy:

But then again I am biased since I was born in HK, and my family has lived here for centuries.

So my account of HK would hardly be objective either. If people want to know what it's like, I tell them they should try to visit one day.

I see your point but conditions in North Korea are actually deplorable. Another thing is that it is very difficult to leave your family and friends behind. Therefore, few would try that. And whoever manages to defect, has nothing good to say about his country in this case.

Conditions in North Korea are deplorable indeed, at least that's where all the facts point towards.

As an outside observer I would like to have a more objective picture of North Korea (since obviously I never intend to visit there). Such information is not readily available though, due to the nature of the system in North Korea.

Would be interesting though.

Well I certainly think so. :enjoy:

But then again I am biased since I was born in HK, and my family has lived here for centuries.

So my account of HK would hardly be objective either. If people want to know what it's like, I tell them they should try to visit one day.
Fair

Conditions in North Korea are deplorable indeed, at least that's where all the facts point towards.

As an outside observer I would like to have a more objective picture of North Korea (since obviously I never intend to visit there). Such information is not readily available though, due to the nature of the system in North Korea.

Would be interesting though.
Well, the defectors are the only source of information for us outside the state propaganda. And if most of them are telling the bad news, then their is little reason to doubt them. :)

Look at it this way...

If you run away from a robber, are you going to tell us that we should refrain from passing judgement on the person that you fled from ? That we should be 'objective' about that person ?

There are two main reasons why a person would leave a country:

One, somehow he was able to make comparisons between 'here' vs 'there', so from that context, he was at one time objective enough.

Two, the 'here' situation is so bad that an unknown 'there' is worth the risk of leaving, so from that context, objectivity and subjectivity are meaningless.

Going back to the robber analogy...

When you ran away from the robber, what if you run around a corner, straight into traffic, and get hit by a bus ? Let us say that you survive. Now, are you going to tell us that you should have stayed with the robber because most likely you would have lost only your wallet instead of having broken bones and internal injuries ? Of course not. The robber was situation Two. There was no way for you to know that you would have lost only your wallet and if you are a woman, not only could you lose your purse, but as a woman, you could have been raped.

When you run away from something, that is not an irrational act and if it was rational, whatever subjectivity you may have had must be taken seriously in the final analysis.

Fair

Well, the defectors are the only source of information for us outside the state propaganda. And if most of them are telling the bad news, then their is little reason to doubt them. :)

屏幕快照 2016-12-07 13.27.31.png
屏幕快照 2016-12-07 13.26.35.png
屏幕快照 2016-12-07 13.26.59.png

What???????:o:
You are executed if you watch p0rn.
That is brutal.
Teenagers must be hopped up over there.

Thanks for being honest. :)

My friend,

Maybe they don't even have a family in the first place. Or they have a abusive father or siblings. Not everybody can feel love from their family. They loses hope and led them to believe defection is the only way to go.

Maybe they don't even have a family in the first place. Or they have a abusive father or siblings. Not everybody can feel love from their family. They loses hope and led them to believe defection is the only way to go.
Perhaps.

However, an individual doesn't defects a country due to abusive environment in his home (only). Do not cal recall an example of this kind. If the environment is hostile and less rewarding on state-level, then this is likely to encourage defection. However, it could be both.

This e-cig is the bomb! North Korean guard is amazed by electronic cigarette after finding it in British tourist's bag and mistaking it for explosives – before giving it a try
  • A North Korean border railway guard is pictured trying an e-cig for the first time
  • Briton Del Dinsdale explained it was a cigarette after it was mistaken for a 'bomb'
  • The guard wanted to keep it and gave Mr Dinsdale North Korean cigarettes
  • Mr Dinsdale was made to delete the photos by another guard, but they were saved in his 'recently deleted' folder
A British tourist captured the total amazement of a North Korean border railway guard after he smoked an e-cigarette for the first time.

Del Dinsdale, 34, was travelling from China into the communist country when his bags were searched by a guard.

Initially the official thought the e-cig was a 'bomb' and when Mr Dinsdale told him it was a cigarette, he seemed baffled and wanted to try it.

360截图20161213152945172.jpg

A North Korean border railway crossing guard tries an electronic cigarette for the first time. British tourist Del Dinsdale said the official initially thought his vapour cigarette was a 'bomb'

Mr Dinsdale said: 'He thought it was an illegal item being taken into his country but I showed him what it was and he was delighted.'

Strict rules in the secretive country means tourists are usually forbidden from taking photos of officials - especially in a relaxed setting.

But Mr Dinsdale said the guard at the crossing into Democratic People's Republic of Korea was so baffled by his vape cigarette that he happily posed for photos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4025408/North-Korean-guard-tries-e-cig-thought-bomb.html

Back
Top Bottom