What's new

North Korea Attacks South Korea - Latest Update

I always thougt the axis-of-evils label was unnecessary.

If US had concentrated it's business in afghanistan then it would be in a much better condition to deal with this kind of situation.

If US had concentrated it's business in afghanistan then it would be in a much better condition to deal with this kind of situation.

:tup: Yup. Bush Jr. got greedy. He saw how quickly Afghanistan fell so he marched into Baghdad to finish "daddy's" business.

Sadly your probably right on the second part as well, it seems the way to prove you have bigger ones than the next general is to attack the south.

Oh I'm not quite sure this is a case of one general against another, more like the military faction acting together against Kim. The line of conflict within the regime is pretty clearly delineated as the military and dear leader and Co.

Example Kim banned the use of luxury vehicle last year (only the military leaders can afford them in NK).

no no no no, big misconception. Obama is just filling a campaign pledge there, they are as involved as ever in "Operation New Dawn"

AFP: Iraq war to be rebranded 'Operation New Dawn'

Given the ties between Pyonyang and Tehran. I wonder if they have been communicating recently. The Iranian nuclear program is giving US enough headache already. If NK makes ruckus now it serves to:

Divert US attention
Encourage Iran to take advantage because US won't do anything.

By playing and advancing their points together they are in a better position than by going it alone.

Also I am a little bit skeptical that wonderboy Petreus' method is going to work out in the long run. What he did in a nutshell was pay the Sunni and Shia fighters off with hard cash and say you work for us now. This has made things quiet for the moment but it could easily flare up again. Not to mention the windfall of influence inside Iraq that Iran got as a result of the war (and what they might do with it)

In my opinion it's a toss up between which of the two (Afg or Irq) will turn into a longterm strategic nightmare.

Interesting comments by posters on another forum: (not me)

==========

"I am grateful to Roger for posting a Business Week article on SDF about the Korean Artillery Exchange.

http://www.businessw...lls-island.html

The bit that grabbed my attention was this sentence.

The yen and Korean won weakened against the dollar, U.S. stock futures fell and Treasury futures rose as investors sought safe-haven investments following the report.

As I further explained in SDF:

The only war here to need worry about is the Currency War currently under way. Both South Korea and Japan have been very unhappy about US currency devaluation through "Quantative Easing" as this has caused substantial appreciation of their own currencies; partly through relative change, but also through vast sums of speculative "hot money" looking to reduce its dollar exposure and find a safe home. This is highly prejudicial to the interests and export ability of these two export driven economies.

Both SK and Japan would have loved to have taken measures to devalue, but doing so would have made them vulnerable to accusations of "currency manipulation" and retaliatory measures.

This nicely fixes the problem, it is sending the currencies back down and the hot money packing. Just what the doctor ordered and in a way that makes criticism impossible. In fact those that would have been first to point the finger at currency manipulation will need to be seen as standing shoulder to shoulder with the two countries in the face of "provocation and intimidation".

Funny old world eh? and probably about to get ever funnier over the coming years. "

=======================

"We all know that the guys on the Peninsular talk to each other through certain Channels more than anyone lets on.

Now look at it through the eyes of hard reality

A few artillery rounds were lobbed either side of the border. They caused some minor damage and killed or injured nobody important. This has saved the elite of South Korea Billions in potential lost sales and poor exchange rate benefits. It has to be a no brainer.

Japan wins because they are potentially in the firing line, while North Korea; I would guess, gets left alone a bit longer as South Korea and Japan withdraw from the Nuclear Talks again which means that the power transition can go ahead without pressure on the disarmament/verification front.

I expect a lot of sound and fury in the near future to really scare the hot money away (South Korea threatens missile retaliation against North if further provocation - latest news headline) but somehow nothing really serious actually happens.

Hope your partners wife is OK and not to shaken up. "

:tup: Yup. Bush Jr. got greedy. He saw how quickly Afghanistan fell so he marched into Baghdad to finish "daddy's" business.
B43 was too slow. China outmaneuvered US and got plenty of lucrative oil contracts, legal and illegal, before and after Saddam's fall. Guess China's greed won out.

B43 was too slow. China outmaneuvered US and got plenty of lucrative oil contracts, legal and illegal, before and after Saddam's fall. Guess China's greed won out.

I guess China should thank the U. Lots of oil contracts and none of the security costs.

I guess China should thank the U. Lots of oil contracts and none of the security costs.
Yer welcome. But in no way would this FACT lay to rest the myth and lie that the US invaded Iraq 'for oil'...:lol:

Yer welcome. But in no way would this FACT lay to rest the myth and lie that the US invaded Iraq 'for oil'...:lol:

No, it wasn't oil, they were chasing a neocon vision of the world. (though they did think oil would pay the reconstruction costs and more)

doing pretty good in Africa & Afghanistan I see..... ;)

What the Chinese friends are doing is what the American friends call ''getting yo hustle on''

:woot:

for contracts of a few in opposition of the American people interests
anyway whatever is the reason (weakening the region? contracts? industry of war? and so) this was illegal.

the only Afghanistan war was legal
still it should be hope that more countries get involved to help our Afghan brothers to build an economy but first infrastructures

let's back to the topic: how can you ask China to care about North Korea?
You provide in the past North Korea with nuclear energy technology
You have a big responsability ...

for contracts of a few in opposition of the American people interests
anyway whatever is the reason (weakening the region? contracts? industry of war? and so) this was illegal.

the only Afghanistan war was legal
still it should be hope that more countries get involved to help our Afghan brothers to build an economy but first infrastructures

let's back to the topic: how can you ask China to care about North Korea?
You provide in the past North Korea with nuclear energy technology
You have a big responsability ...

how was it legal shia ? 9/11 it was an inside job ,yea back to topic long live kim and son .

Back
Top Bottom