What's new

North East Asian Union? Exploring the potential of an NEA integration

Well, I suppose I take comfort in the fact that you represent no one but yourself with this view. You clearly do not have the best interests of Japan or the Japanese people at heart if you are advocating annexation of Hawaii and other US territories in the Pacific. Why you think in 2-4 generations the US will no longer be a nuclear power if nothing else is beyond me.

If you aren't advocating the annexation of Siberia why would you do so with Hawaii?

You should really rethink your poorly thought out (this should be self-evident) stance, its not worthy of coming from someone labeled an analyst/think tank.

I can assure you he is not the only japanese i know who advocate for greater East Asian union. 2 years ago we had exchange student from the university of Osaka. She did research about the European Union. When she found out i was chinese, she talked to me about the possiblity of the Union of East Asian states, like the European Union. I would feel uncomfortable to talk this kind of topic with non east asian, but with her i could discuss the pros and cons of such union. Not to mention i had a japanese classmate who was wondering why there was no such thing as Union of the East Nation like the European Union.

What i wanted to say is that the concept of East Asian Union is not new. It lives among some east asian (scholars). The difference is that the discussion is not always public.

Hmm, why is it that even just in a friendly exchange of ideas , must we find such hostility and apprehension towards warmer relations between Tokyo and Beijing? G_d forbid the world ends ? Lol.

It always amazes me that even in the anonymity of the Internet as it is in personal experience -- whenever this issue or subject comes to light my American peers always, always react with aversion to Japan and Chinese cooperation in this region specific paradigm?

Hahaha, one really is awed. And whenever I share these experiences with other Japanese academics working abroad, they share similar experiences. Perhaps we should consider the history of Japanese-western relations ? :)

It is fear, deep rooted in their eyes for such kind of Union. Thats why i never bother to discuss this kind of topic with non east-asian. Look at the achievement of the 3 East Asian countries respectively in modern time (not to mention the past):

1) China(+Taiwan): After the disasters of World War 2, Mao'great leap forward and other disastorous policy, inflicting itself, China is emerging as the new superpower. I would call it the return of the middle kingdom to her rightful place.

2) Japan: After the World War 2, japan climbed out of the ruin of the devastating war and succesfully become the 3th world economy with high-tech technology.

3) South korea: Same as Japan, South Korea is now a succes story after the devastating World War 2 and the aftermath of the cold war.

All these countries share the unique confucius system, ancient history and tradition that still survive until today. This unique traits are what make East Asia special. Each of us grow up with these traits and proud of it,concious or unconciously. To tell non east asian about this features is useless. They cant nor would they understand it. Now imagine these 3 countries formed an Union of East Asia. Nothing would be impossible. Sky would be the limit, hmm by second consideration, i would say, universe would be the limit. I, personally would call this Union of East Asia as The Greater East Asia.

Last edited:
It should include ASEAN as well.

If you mean ASEAN as the whole to be included into the Greater East Asia, then its impossible to do that. The purpose of Greater East Asia is the untiy of countries with same folkore belief, confucius tradition,history, and culture. ASEAN as a whole is culturally not the same as East Asia. Even within the ASEAN, there are are so much contradiction for instance the Indo-China part of ASEAN=Mainland Southeast Asia=Vietnam, Laos, Thailand,Cambodia, Myanmar which all are buddhist countries and then Malay world of ASEAN which comprised of Indonesia,Brunei,Malaysia (muslim countries) and philipines(christian country). The only thread that bind this club together is trade agreement among the members. BTW there is already trade agreement between ASEAN+3( China+Japan+South Korea). The only ASEAN countries that could join the Greater East Asia based on the criteria are Vietnam and Singapore.

Lets take Morocco as example of how The European Union works with regards for applying the EU membership.
Morocco applied to join the then European Communities on 20 July 1987. The application was rejected by Community foreign ministers as they did not consider Morocco to be a European country and hence could not join.

It should include ASEAN as well.

Vietnam is a Confucius state, it's the most eligible, for the rest of ASEAN countries I don't know if they're interested. I bet Vietnam will join when NEAU is formed, combining China, Japan and Korea economic power, Vietnam will not have shortage of investment, and with same Confucius mentality, they will not have hard time to work with people from the north.it's in Vietnam's interest to be among us.

Despite the stone throwing over SCS, the culture and the blood related families keep Sino-Vietname relation coagulated for millennium:D, for me I welcome Vietnam to join NEAU:enjoy:.

Last edited:
I learn a lots in this forum. Before I joined, I hated the Japanese government and afraid of the remilitarized Japan, but I now realize this normalization is indeed a push for Japan to be more independent. Not to mention, I had never thought about the union among the Chinese, Japanese and Korean, this really opens my eye and makes me reconsider our future path with them. I believe that if more people share the same view, which we East Asian can build an union as successful as other unions in the world, then East Asia will be more peaceful and forgiving. I know this will not be a easy task, but this is our final task before the fully revival of our East Asian nations.

You're not the only one, I hated Japan as much as you at the beginning with all the WW2 picture showing the killing and beheading of Chinese people...I even though of the Tectonic Bombs to sink the entire Japan by hitting the critical section of tectonic plates to reactivate volcanos, tsunami and earthquake. you can imagine how much I hate them...and I got banned for that:D

But the more I learn from Japan and Japanese people like @Nihonjin1051, the less I feel anger, there is pointless for both nations to engage into eternal conflict to see who prevail. We don't need to repeat our bloodiest history over again
as we did with our Manchurian brothers: both Han and Manchurian fought each other for so long in the pass way before Song Dynasty, claimed millions of souls...and end up as brothers and sisters as today...what a great joke of humanity.

if Japanese people are sincere to have peace in North East Asia, I'm welcome them. Of course, both sides have to be sincere and not take sugar words as for granted.

Last edited:
You're not the only one, I hated Japan as much as you at the beginning with all the WW2 picture showing the killing and beheading of Chinese people...I even though of the Tectonic Bombs to sink the entire Japan by hitting the critical section of tectonic plates to reactivate volcanos, tsunami and earthquake. you can imagine how much I hate them...and I got banned for that:D

But the more I learn from Japan and Japanese people like @Nihonjin1051, the less I feel anger, there is pointless for both nations to engage into eternal conflict to see who prevail. We don't need to repeat our bloodiest history over again
as we did with our Manchurian brothers: both Han and Manchurian fought each other for so long in the pass way before Song Dynasty, claimed millions of souls...and end up as brothers and sisters as today...what a great joke of humanity.

if Japanese people are sincere to have peace in North East Asia, I'm welcome them. Of course, both sides have to be sincere and not take sugar words as for granted.
Totally agreed. I had the same feeling as you did, and had a couple of brawls with him too, but @Nihonjin1051 really changed some of my thoughts about Nihonjin.

Perhaps like some members have said, this NEAU is just a fantasy at the moment. But let's not forget that many, if not all, of the great discoveries in science were started from crazy ideas. Also, the simple fact that the patriots of China and Japan could talk rationally in peace given what is going on between two countries on media's headlines means a lot. In this sense this thread is the equivalent to the Ping pong diplomacy in the 1970s.

For this, @Nihonjin1051 deserves credit and my appreciation.

Totally agreed. I had the same feeling as you did, and had a couple of brawls with him too, but @Nihonjin1051 really changed some of my thoughts about Nihonjin.

Perhaps like some members have said, this NEAU is just a fantasy at the moment. But let's not forget that many, if not all, of the great discoveries in science were started from crazy ideas. Also, the simple fact that the patriots of China and Japan could talk rationally in peace given what is going on between two countries on media's headlines means a lot. In this sense this thread is the equivalent to the Ping pong diplomacy in the 1970s.

For this, @Nihonjin1051 deserves credit and my appreciation.

We all know that members here just express their opinion regarding NEAU and not represent the government position. Even if it's still a fantasy dream, nerveless it shown a good initiative of @Nihonjin1051 to create this thread and gather the feeling of members of this forum...and who know eventually that one of the members in this forum will become a great politician and push this NEAU concept into motion:D, both Japanese an Chinese have a great interest to seek peace and share the prosperity...and NEAU will be a very attractive organization for those who care about the future North East Asia.

Last edited:
We all know that members here just express their opinion regarding NEAU and not represent the government position. Even if it's still a fantasy dream, nerveless it shown a good initiative of @Nihonjin1051 to create this thread and gather the feeling of members of this forum...and who know eventually that one of the members in this forum will become a great politician and push this NEAU concept into motion:D, both Japanese an Chinese have a great interest to seek peace and share the prosperity...and NEAU will be a very attractive organization for those who care about the future North East Asia.
OK, @Nihonjin1051 has my vote for the nest PM of Nippon:offpost:

Vietnam is a Confucius state, it's the most eligible, for the rest of ASEAN countries I don't know if they're interested. I bet Vietnam will join when NEAU is formed, combining China, Japan and Korea economic power, Vietnam will not have shortage of investment, and with same Confucius mentality, they will not have hard time to work with people from the north.it's in Vietnam's interest to be among us.

Despite the stone throwing over SCS, the culture and the blood related families keep Sino-Vietname relation coagulated for millennium:D, for me I welcome Vietnam to join NEAU:enjoy:.

CN,SK,JP, u guys should try to survive in TPP first.

Just look how US is taking away JP trading market and destroying JP stock market now. I see the future of u guys is too dark ....

I don´t speak for VN, but just think a scenario where VN joins a CN led club is VERY unrealistic.
why should we join when majority of chinese rather see us in a GAS chamber?

CN,SK,JP, u guys should try to survive in TPP first.

Just look how US is taking away JP trading market and destroying JP stock market now. I see the future of u guys is too dark ....

Don't you know threat is equally opportunity in Chinese :lol:, if US harm Japan's economy, it will push Japan to join Chinese trade pack...and accelerate the creation of NEAU. In contrary to your pessimism, China Japan and Korea are export manufacturing countries, with one belt and one road, we don't need US as market, Euro-Asian continent is a huge market for us to share amount ourself.... I can only see the US's future will get darker and darker because it will eclipsed by one belt one road.

I don´t speak for VN, but just think a scenario where VN joins a CN led club is VERY unrealistic.
why should we join when majority of chinese rather see us in a GAS chamber?

LOL NEAU is not Chinese led club, it's China-Korea-Japan club, we don't hold exclusivity as American did with world bank to dictate it term to the rest of the world, unless you're still thinking the medieval time :D, as I said Vietnam is welcome to join but if you feel more comfortable with ASEAN, it's your call...and maybe I missed something, I don't see what is related to GAS chamber...care to explain?

Don't you know threat is equally opportunity in Chinese :lol:, if US harm Japan's economy, it will push Japan to join Chinese trade pack...and accelerate the creation of NEAU. In contrary to your pessimism, China Japan and Korea are export manufacturing countries, with one belt and one road, we don't need US as market, Euro-Asian continent is a huge market for us to share amount ourself.... I can only see the US's future will get darker and darker because it will eclipsed by one belt one road.

?
Wake up,dude, TPP deal means US will suck Japan's economy dry.JP Govt. know that...but they just signed the deal

...and pple dont see any JP leaders dare to switch to CN side.

Wake up,dude, TPP deal means US will suck Japan's economy dry.JP Govt. know that...but they just signed the deal

...and pple dont see any JP leaders dare to switch to CN side.

You think Japan will just let that happen?? :lol: you're talking the 3th economic power country, possessing one of the most powerful and sophisticate financial system.

but just think a scenario where VN joins a CN led club is VERY unrealistic.

You are bound to be led by others, it doesn't matter by who, my buddy. ^_^

Er....it's a wishful thinking at least for now, not any official practice get involved, only just the blue prints drawn by scholars of related countries. For me, I don't have too much positive opinions of Korea of Japan, but I believe East Asia belongs to we East Asians, so I‘m in favour of such Union.

The two largest minority groups in Japan are actually Korean and Chinese. We prefer East Asian migration to Japan I think because of the cultural similarity. A Chinese or Korean can easily adapt to life in Japan, I think more than a Laowai.

I don't like immigrants from Africa or the West, it's not my biased opinion, I just don't like them. But if it's Koreans, Japanese or Vietnamese, I'm OK.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom