What's new

Non-filers to pay additional tax on electricity, gas bills

Seems reasonable move , file the tax papers yearly and you won't have to pay extra Tax on Utilities

Easier said than done, I am a filer and I live in rented premises. As is the case all over Pakistan, the meter is in the name of the builder who constructed the Apartment facility over 40 years ago. Now I need to either change my address on the NICOP (15k) to prove that I actually live here or get an NOC from the owner to have the meter transferred to my name (if any owner would allow it).

This is an ill conceived plan to fleece people and I paid around 3000 as Advance Income Tax on my electricity bill for the last month just because I am unable to fix the above conditions.

is school a place for education or a tax snitch ?

is this a school's job ???

you will be shocked on a lot of things

one of my friend owns two petrol pumps in lahore - he told me Iranian petrol is easily smuggled to Lahore and pumps routinely sell it since its available for a discount

are you interested to know who allows this smuggling racket to work interrupted ?

filer / n filer is a trivial issue sir !

Correct me if I am wrong. But this tax will only be charged on commercial or industrial connections, means offices and industries, not on residential connection.

So inshort businesses which don't register will pay extra.

This might actually work, given electricity consumption is directly proportional to revenue. The metric is not wrong.

Basically a flat tax regime for the black economy.

Another avenue that can be utilised is property tax, digitalize the system and anyone owning more than one residential property, higher tax should be applied to additional properties. This is where real money is stashed.

What do you mean by non-filers? Are there people who don't file their returns like they are pretending to be not in the tax bracket? Or they are simply tax evaders who don't show their income completely?

Tax return filers have been made as if they are all villains whereas most are simply people whose income tax is deducted at source and hence they don't bother with filing of returns because filing returns has no benefit for them whatsoever. How many evaders can there be really and would the evaders care if they are charged 15% additional amount on their electricity bills?

Easier said than done, I am a filer and I live in rented premises. As is the case all over Pakistan, the meter is in the name of the builder who constructed the Apartment facility over 40 years ago. Now I need to either change my address on the NICOP (15k) to prove that I actually live here or get an NOC from the owner to have the meter transferred to my name (if any owner would allow it).

This is an ill conceived plan to fleece people and I paid around 3000 as Advance Income Tax on my electricity bill for the last month just because I am unable to fix the above conditions.

This is only limited to commercial and industrial connections, not residential connection.

Correct me if I am wrong.

There is a lot of fake propaganda on a very legit scheme.

This is only limited to commercial and industrial connections, not residential connection.

Correct me if I am wrong.

There is a lot of fake propaganda on a very legit scheme.

I am not sure about this being applicable only on Commercial entities; but I am paying 7.5% Advance Income Tax on my electricity bills since July on my residential connection.

I am not sure about this being applicable only on Commercial entities; but I am paying 7.5% Advance Income Tax on my electricity bills since July on my residential connection.

That's a very old tax I think, just the limit is reduced to 25000 per month. If you are a filer correct it ASAP.

This one is only on commercial and industrial properties.

For People who live in Rental Properties Typically their rent is integrated into their Rent Payment by their Land Lord

Last edited:
The wadayray, Sardar, Khan and Malak are billionaires buy pay nothing. No taxes, no bills.
Instead of constantly making the common man's life difficult, they should also be made to pay.

That's a very old tax I think, just the limit is reduced to 25000 per month. If you are a filer correct it ASAP.

As I said earlier, I cannot get it corrected because the Landlord, who is in the US, is not interested in issuing any NOC for my to get the meter transferred to my name. There are other complications as well. Basically, KE is more interested in getting the Advance Income Tax than anything else.

If I am going through this, I can only imagine what a common man is going through whose electricity bill has increased manifold in the last 3 years to the point where even acceptable energy usage pushes the bill over 25k..........the irony, Advance Income Tax applies to the entire amount when one goes above 25k and not just the amount which crosses the threshold. The Government's interest in this is only to fleece the bill paying customer into paying even more.

Back
Top Bottom