BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Nobel laureate Liu Xiaobo
Dark matter
liu_xiaobo_empty_chair000_par3653270.jpg

A long way from his rightful place

EVERY year at this time The Economist publishes an annual almanac predicting big events and trends to watch out for in the year coming. I’m publishing below a companion piece of the sort you won’t find in The World in 2014, because it is about the absence of change. For Liu Xiaobo, 2014 does not figure to be a special year. He is expected to endure it in the same way as he has this year. The same may be true for his wife, Liu Xia, though she manages on occasion to make herself heard, including a recent request for some basic freedoms.

Mr Liu was arrested five years ago this week, and he was sentenced four years ago this month. He has not been heard from directly since. At the ceremony awarding him the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize (pictured) his absence was marked by the empty chair he should have been sitting in. Uttering his name is in itself a political act. Perry Link, an eminent American China scholar long blacklisted from re-entering the country, writes that academic colleagues do not mention Mr Liu for fear of jeopardising their ability to work in China. As our Banyan columnist points out in this week's print edition, his name has moved far down the list of talking-points for visiting Western leaders as well. I wanted to write about the absence of Mr Liu from the daily conversation, for in another sense he is ever-present:

Liu Xiaobo, the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize laureate, once wrote that intellectuals are “the soul of a nation”. He saw this as a tragic assignation. The intellectual he describes is a “lonely forerunner” who “can discern the portents of disaster at a time of prosperity, and in his self-confidence experience the approaching obliteration.”

Mr Liu is fulfilling his own prophecy. He is unlikely to be heard from in 2014. He remains in a Chinese prison cell, in the north-eastern city of Jinzhou—not terribly far from Changchun, the city in neighbouring Jilin province, where he was born in 1955. He is less than halfway through an 11-year prison sentence for his intellectual crimes (officially, “inciting subversion of state power”). His wife, Liu Xia, may not be heard from either in 2014; she is under strict house arrest despite not having been charged with any crime, and has had only rare contact with foreign reporters. Her brother, Liu Hui, too will not be heard from; he was sentenced in 2013 to a harsh prison term for alleged financial fraud, a punishment, some believe, meant to cow the family into total silence. Obliteration indeed.

But to the Communist Party’s enduring frustration, the Nobel prize assures that Mr Liu cannot be totally annihilated. He is the dark matter in every earnest discussion about China’s future, the invisible antagonist in any talk of progress and reform.

That would suit Mr Liu. Before he was a dissident of government, he was a dissident of his own flock, antagonising most anybody. In the late 1980s Mr Liu, a philosopher by training, reveled so much in attacking fellow writers and thinkers that he all but isolated himself without the help of any authorities. He dismissed the literature of the post-Mao era as mostly worthless (in a speech to its most celebrated practitioners); he dismissed an older set of intellectuals as “cultural pets” of their foreign Sinologist “discoverers”. By the time he was arrested and made an example of, in June 1989 after the crackdown at Tiananmen Square, he had made himself a rather convenient target. “He is an ideal sacrifice,” wrote Geremie Barmé, an Australian Sinologist, after Mr Liu’s arrest in 1989. “Many will make pro forma protestations at his treatment, but few will feel any real sympathy for this irascible and unrelenting critic.” And yet the official denunciations of Mr Liu and his refusal to give in—his continued, conscientious defiance not just in 1989 but through years of all sorts of detention afterward—earned him fame and admiration. In attempting to obliterate the man, the authorities created Liu Xiabo, the symbol of individual bravery and defiance.

The irony is that many of Mr Liu’s peers deemed him not radical enough. He was by the standards of other activists a moderate who advocated “rational” and deliberate action on democracy, and he always resolutely espoused nonviolence. His most radical feature was a stubborn romanticism about his cause. In 2008 he co-authored a document, Charter 08, that called for an end to one-party rule. It was an echo of Charter 77, co-authored by Vaclav Havel in resistance to Soviet rule, and it resulted in Mr Liu’s arrest and current imprisonment. For his trial on December 23rd 2009, Mr Liu wrote a statement that would be read aloud at his Nobel ceremony the following year: “I have no enemies, and no hatred”, he declared, even for the individuals who carried out the state’s will against him. As the statement was read an empty chair denoted Mr Liu’s absence, the dark matter in the room.

Others share Mr Liu’s fate without the fame. Gao Zhisheng, a lawyer, was disappeared and tortured, and disappeared again, before authorities acknowledged imprisoning him in remote north-western China. He has to an extent been obliterated. Still other prisoners of conscience languish unremembered. In their absence the earnest conversations about China’s reforms continue.

Nobel laureate Liu Xiaobo: Dark matter | The Economist

Last edited:
Self delete.

Last edited:
I hope very soon he gets released from prison and we can hear his voice.

They are afraid to talk about him, internet is monitored by the Govt. there. See, just a thanks to @eazzy from @Fattyacids , but not a single word!! :-)

I don't talk to ignoramus who doesn't have a clue what Liu did, who is funding him, and why he get a Nobel for Peace for nothing. Especially ignoramus of questionable character who used pictures from pet-dyeing show to smear Chinese for faking animals.

I don't talk to ignoramus who doesn't have a clue what Liu did, who is funding him, and why he get a Nobel for Peace for nothing. Especially ignoramus of questionable character who used pictures from pet-dyeing show to smear Chinese for faking animals.

Who is funding Liu Xiaobo? What will he do with that funding in jail? And who is funding thousands of other scholars & activists demanding political reform in China? And who funded the Tank Man?

THE-TANK-MAN-STOPPING-THE-COLUMN-OF-T59-TANKS-TIANANMEN-SQUARE-BEIJING-CHINA-4-JUNE-1989-1-C31709.jpg

Tank_Man_Long_Shot_by_Stuart_Franklin.jpg

B!tch is so b!tch. Puppets deserve punishment.

Gee, here I was thinking the dark matter in astronomy , you know, something that matter a lot more. Really? Nobel "peace" prize? The one given to Obama before he got into the office?

Is he right about freedom? About justice? About whatever? I don't know what his politics is and I don't care. But if he is advocating these things than yes, he is right.

But China is on a very tight rope, one false move and we could fall into the abyss.

China must gather all its strength to break the Western strangle hold on high end manufacturing and services, as well as American's personal blockade of the Chinese nation.

If China were to change system right now, it would be decades before we return to business as usual if we ever do, the top seat would have been open to contention and everybody would want it, they would fight for it instead of keeping our eyes on the prize.

If we were to adopt Western democracy, aside from the short comings that I think exist, would place China in a weaker position than India, for India has been democratic for a long time, and certain things have been worked out.

For all those that ask for this guy the release, answer me honestly, do you want China to be better or descend into chaos, I'll bet you can imagine what kind of political instability follows a newly established government and how it hurts the economy.

But here's something for you to think about, I was just on Chinese Weibou and forums, all are calling for Martial law in Xinjiang and harsh government crack down.

Do you know what it means? The majority of Chinese wants order, and prosperity, the few that the West single out are just that the few. We are more united today than we ever been, why? We are successful, and we will continue to be united for as long as we are successful. Would you jump off a train that's heading for super stardom?

Is he right about freedom? About justice? About whatever? I don't know what his politics is and I don't care. But if he is advocating these things than yes, he is right.

But China is on a very tight rope, one false move and we could fall into the abyss.

China must gather all its strength to break the Western strangle hold on high end manufacturing and services, as well as American's personal blockade of the Chinese nation.

If China were to change system right now, it would be decades before we return to business as usual if we ever do, the top seat would have been open to contention and everybody would want it, they would fight for it instead of keeping our eyes on the prize.

If we were to adopt Western democracy, aside from the short comings that I think exist, would place China in a weaker position than India, for India has been democratic for a long time, and certain things have been worked out.

For all those that ask for this guy the release, answer me honestly, do you want China to be better or descend into chaos, I'll bet you can imagine what kind of political instability follows a newly established government and how it hurts the economy.

But here's something for you to think about, I was just on Chinese Weibou and forums, all are calling for Martial law in Xinjiang and harsh government crack down.

Do you know what it means? The majority of Chinese wants order, and prosperity, the few that the West single out are just that the few. We are more united today than we ever been, why? We are successful, and we will continue to be united for as long as we are successful. Would you jump off a train that's heading for super stardom?

Finally a long and detailed reply, but is the voice of dissent really that few in China? China is doing very well economically, but there will be a point when recession will hit China, it has to because it cannot continue with this momentum forever, then what? Is it possible that many people want political reforms but are silent now because of the economic prosperity, but this voice of dissent will increase proportionately with the slowdown of economy? I mean that's a possibility, people generally demand change in such situations.

History tells us that autocratic Govts. generally have a limited shelf-life, especially for a country as big and as diverse as China, and people demand more freedom and greater degree of say in the running of the country as they become more educated and more confident.

Even if we assume that China is not yet ready for a democracy, but why not grant your citizens basic rights like freedom of expression? If some groups are resorting to terrorism or vandalism, of course punish them as per the law, but why Chinese Govt. is going after the scholars and activists for doing peaceful protest or maybe just for writing some articles & books?? And not only one person, once one is in the bad books of CCP, then his/her whole family has to suffer the same fate, there are several examples of that. Don't you think such kind of forceful suppression of criticizing voices would led to a greater degree of outburst in future? Freedom of speech & expression works as a safety valve in a pressure cooker, without it the whole thing may potentially be a ticking time bomb.

Just out of curiosity I searched in baidu.com for Tiananmen Square, first search result claiming that Tiananmen massacre is a myth, other results are about its general history etc., none of the results are talking about the massacre, will such suppression of facts help in the long run?

I will be busy for the whole day and may not be able to reply today, but do you really think that one party rule will continue forever, or you have to allow oppositions in the running of the Govt. at some point in future? And will CCP allow to let go its absolute control over China without a blood bath? If democracy is a eventuality, then a massive disruption is a strong possibility in China, and China should allow greater degree of freedom to its citizens step by step to ease the process and to avoid a massive social & political unrest.

About India, our democracy is far from being perfect, but in 20-25 years our entire population will be educated, caste system is dying a slow death, national identity is becoming much more stronger than regional identities, we are more connected than before due to internet and mobile phones, and our large young population is open to new ideas & thoughts, I have great hope on our young population, I believe we will perfect the democratic system in our country by the time we complete 100 years of it in 2047, that's not far away!! :)

Democracy is beautiful, take the risk, you won't regret. :-)

Back
Top Bottom