What's new

Nirbhay cruise missile fails midway

nirbhay.jpg
Bass rona mat ..... @ indians... :D

Lolz indians was dreaming about its naval version . :D bubble brust too soon . 3 fail test . same fault in test 1 and 3 . i think abi tk fault hi diagnose ni kar paye ye log .

the K-4 missile combines the aspects of both cruise and ballistic missile, which use multiple-stage rockets to exit the atmosphere and re-enter in a parabolic trajectory. It flies in hypersonic speed and is the world's best weapon in this class.

Bhubaneswar: India's indigenous surface-to-surface cruise missile Nirbhay nose-dived midway after it test fired in Odisha on Friday.
nirbhay.jpg

According to Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) sources, the missile was launched from the Chandipur Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Balasore district at 11.38 am.

Although the take off was successful amid repeated disruptions of countdown, the missile missed the target after 11 minutes after it was test fired, said the sources.

The missile had a range of 750-1,000 km. But it nose-dived after covering 128 km in the Bay of Bengal.

The missile's first test on March 12, 2013 had also failed as it too fell after 20 minutes of flight. The second test on October 17, 2014 was also not up to the mark as it could not maintain a low height.

The cruise missile is expected to supplement the Indo-Russian joint venture supersonic cruise missile BrahMos, which can carry warheads up to 290 km.

The two-stage missile has a length of six metres, a diameter of 0.52 m, a wing span 2.7 m and a launch weight of about 1,500 kg.
Flight of Nirbhay missile aborted nearly 12 minutes after launch | Zee News
Applying Vedic logic, the test was mostly a success. Modi will declare it directly soon. Jai Hind!

Last edited:
Let it fail, that's what the developmental trials are for. This was a low pass critical test as well. We have seen the early Agnis, Prithvis, GSLVs/PSLVs, cryogenic engine, etc. fail too, they all came back good.

This is critical missile system, just like the Agni and K Series SLBMs. No one will give you a missile system with 1000km++ range, or nuclear capable, and operated from all three branches of the military. And the land attack missile of all major frigates and destroyers. It's going to rectified one way or the other.

Lots of new things. Low, slow flight. Terrain hugging. More complex navigation and final targeting intelligence.
its terrain hugging features backed fired. lets say it hugged the terrain to much. seriously it was flying to low

The only reason behind failures of DRDO I can think of is ego. Their goals are very unrealistic to start with. The capability in question is a quantum jump from conventional missile systems itself yet the specification are such that only a miracle can make them happen in one go. DRDO should be pragmatic in their approach and divide the project into achievable milestones and stop bragging about their products based on their specification on paper.

Who told you that ?:D
Agni also faced several failures around 2 decades ago.
We created that base from that failures ,the great man in my avatar engineered that base.
a simple yet in-depth analysis would point that out. the agni did have problems in the past but are there any recent failures. i know who engineered those missiles :D

Even better, the fearless took refuge under the sand.
My dear friend, this was supposed to be an under 20 mts first time trial of the cruise missile. I would expect at least, another 3 4 failures, before they are able to crack this. There is a massive amount of difference, between tercom and nape of the earth flying over sea.

Let it fail, that's what the developmental trials are for. This was a low pass critical test as well. We have seen the early Agnis, Prithvis, GSLVs/PSLVs, cryogenic engine, etc. fail too, they all came back good.

This is critical missile system, just like the Agni and K Series SLBMs. No one will give you a missile system with 1000km++ range, or nuclear capable, and operated from all three branches of the military. And the land attack missile of all major frigates and destroyers. It's going to rectified one way or the other.

What posters fail to understand is once the navigation and systems of this missile is tested for under 20 mts subsonic flight, this is an awesome missile. This is a first test. I will not be surprised if this tanks at-least 5 times more before we get this right. But, once you get this missile to work under 15 mts just above sea level, this is a lethal missile. And people can laugh all they like, but once this is achieved, you better have a damn good SAM working. Else, you are toast.

Why are people going ga- ga over a failure ?

I'd rather it fails during tests than in operations. Let it fail a hundred times if that what it takes for it to hit a target in war.

Fail-Fail-Fail-Fail-Succeed.jpg

If the problems stated in post #23 are to be believed, you have a major failure in your R&D process, not merely a test failure, even if this test was successful by luck.

the K-4 missile combines the aspects of both cruise and ballistic missile, which use multiple-stage rockets to exit the atmosphere and re-enter in a parabolic trajectory. It flies in hypersonic speed and is the world's best weapon in this class.
I fear iskander of Russian military is the best tactical quasi ballistic missile.

I fear iskander of Russian military is the best tactical quasi balistic
Chill it was a test flight . They would have another one more successful than this . :)

BTW even operational missile can also fail . Four Russian Kalibr cruise missiles crashed in Iran on the way to Syrian targets few days ago .
Even babur itself is a reverse enginered tomahawk missile which crash landed in Pakistani soil which are on the way to Afghanistan,nd it was launched by mighty US Navy.

I fear iskander of Russian military is the best tactical quasi ballistic missile.

K-4 is an intermediate-range nuclear-capable submarine-launched ballistic missile under development by DRDO of India to arm the Arihant-class submarine

Mistaken with shourya...
India successfully test-fires Shourya missile - The Hindu
Shourya is the land-variant of India's K-15 missile which is launched under the water and is being fitted into the Navy's nuclear-powered submarine, Arihant.

It covered its full range of 700 km in 500 seconds. The surface-to-surface missile performed a manoeuvre in the closing stages of its flight and hit the impact point in the Bay of Bengal with an accuracy of a few metres. A gas generator located at the bottom of the canister pushed the missile out of the canister, then its first stage ignited and fell off, and the second stage went into action.

Shourya's Programme Director A.K. Chakrabarti, who led the launch activities for the mission, said, “Our [Armed] Forces will get a very good system” with the Shourya because “we have perfected it, made it valid and increased its reliability.” Shourya's project director is A. Joseph.

The missile is ten metres long, 74 cm in diameter and weighs 6.2 tonnes. Its two stages use solid propellants.

With Shourya ready for production and its under-water cousin, K-15, already under production, the DRDO's sights are set on K-4 missile, which will be launched from a submarine. After K-4 is launched under water, it will knife up to the surface and can target places 3,000 km away.

When it comes to technology
You can beg and steal
Or you can do it yourself, with hard work, pain and uncertainty, and the occasional failure on the path to success.

Congratulations pakistan for never having a single "failure" when they "developed" their missiles, and "Indigenous" tanks or aircraft.

India will do it the hard way. And there will be more failures. That's the way we like it.

Back
Top Bottom