What's new

NHMP starts issuing driving licenses

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
National Highway and Motorway Police (NHMP) started the process of issuing driving licenses from Wednesday. It also became the first authority to issue licenses to handicapped and overseas drivers.

On the first day, only 10 candidates, out of a total 50, succeeded in fulfilling the requirements and passing the tests to get a learner’s licence.

Addressing an inauguration ceremony of the drivers licensing authority, Inspector General (IG) NHMP Zulfiqar Ahmad Cheema said that licenses will be issued to only those who pass a very elaborate and comprehensive theoretical and practical driving test under the new system, adding that its distinctive features will make it a credible document, nationally as well as internationally.

The IG explained the salient features of the new driving license and said, “For the first time in licensing history, driving licenses will be issued to handicapped drivers, overseas Pakistanis and diplomats, without any hassle. There will be about 14 exposed and hidden security features in the NHMP driving license and it can not be forged or tempered with.”

Mr Zulfiqar said that heavy transport vehicles (HTVs), light traffic vehicles (LTVs) and public service vehicles (PSVs) will be divided into new categories according to their loading capacity, number of wheels, and seating capacity. All information provided by the applicant will be verified through Nadra and licenses will be delivered only by authorised courier service.

To discourage driving by young and inexperienced drivers, strict new conditions, in terms of age and experience, have also been introduced for LTVs, HTVs and PSVs, he added.

NHMP will initially start issuing driving licenses from Islamabad, but it will expand this facility to other parts of the country, he said, adding that many road safety experts have welcomed this initiative by the NHMP.

State Minister for communication, Abdul Hakeem Baloch also spoke on the occasion and said that the drivers licensing authority will be another feather in NHMP cap.

The minister said that every year thousands of innocent people are involved in road accidents due to poor road conditions, unfit vehicles and, most of all, untrained drivers.

He appreciated the new transparent system of issuing licenses based on globally accepted criterion that will meet the international standards.

NHMP starts issuing driving licenses - Newspaper - DAWN.COM

This reminds me, back in the 80's my uncle bought a Corolla. I asked him, what about your driving license? His reply "It's under process, I'll get it int 2 / 3 days" :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom