What's new

News from Bangladesh-Updates and Discussion

Power game likely over upazila

With the end of the much talked about upazila elections across the country a bitter power game is seemingly set to begin between the MPs and upazila chairmen over executing power and influence to run local administration and implement plans for economic and social development. Such possibility is very much there as the new government is contemplating to provide the MPs with some sort of dominating role in the upazila parishads by amending the local Government Ordinance promulgated by the caretaker government before its ratification in Parliament. In the ordinance there is no provision for the MPs to play any role in upazila affairs and the Awami League manifesto also did not specify anything about it. But just on the eve of the upazila polls the Minister for Local Government and Rural Development Syed Ashraful Islam said that the MPs must have some role in local development as they have made commitments before elections to develop their respective areas. This is a clear indication that the MPs will be empowered to interfere in the functioning of the upazila parishads on the plea of overseeing the development activities and ensuring proper development works. And the upazila chairmen, also elected duly by the people are unlikely to accept such intervention voluntarily .

The constitution of the country stresses on the strengthening of the local government bodies. But it was due to the MPs reluctance to give up power and influence over huge development works that the upazila elections were not arranged during 'democratic rule' in over 18 years since March 1990 when the second and last upazila polls were held under an ' autocratic' ruler. The upazila system was introduced by Ershad regime in 1985 but it was abolished when BNP came to power in 1991. However, after its return to power in 1996 Awami league revived the upazila system which remained dysfunctional both during the rule of AL and BNP. The erstwhile caretaker government took a firm stand on holding the upazila polls and it proceeded with the plan despite many obstacles. The Election Commission also played a very bold and effective role in completing the upazila polls.

Now the elections are over, but fear remains there that the upazila system would not be able to function as envisaged in the Local Government Ordinance. It is now clear that the ordinance would be ratified by Parliament only after being tailored to meet the needs and satisfaction of the MPs. But the most unfortunate aspect of the issue is that the outcome of this process may fail to fulfill the needs and expectations of the people.

editorial

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I really liked Brigadier Shakhawat's comments.He was bold enough to speak against the Ruling party and I hope actions will be taken against those MPs and even Ministers responsible for misusing their Power.

Awami acting like Awami. This was expected and no one should be sruprise or shock by all these. It's fascist party with full of criminal and hoodlums. As I said before people of BD dug their own grave by bringing a dalal parti to power. May Allah put some sense to those who voted or suppor for Awami ..........:hitwall:

Well brother.. Its not AL, all the political party while in Power did the same shitt... We are trying to change the political culture in Bangladesh. If people keep blaming one party or another, we will go nowhere. Next time BNP will come to power and do exact the same thing...

That I can say...

Well brother.. Its not AL, all the political party while in Power did the same shitt... We are trying to change the political culture in Bangladesh. If people keep blaming one party or another, we will go nowhere. Next time BNP will come to power and do exact the same thing...

That I can say...

I agree with you.It is the "tradition" of our political parties.I really hoped AL would come out of it this time,but so far they have disappointed us.:tsk:

That I can say...

It is wrong to paint both parties with exactly the same brush. The two main parties have very different characteristics. The BNP is a very white collar type party but also aligned with the peasantry but tends to engage in corruption and other financial crimes. The AL on the other hand is very blue collar and far more thuggish and brutal. What happened in the Upazilla elections on this scale and ferocity has only happened under AL regimes. The BNP has been accused of vote rigging but never on this scale or with this type of violence and intimidation. I think we should stop being so polite and call a spade a spade.

PM annoyed, won't interfere in EC decision: Matia

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is annoyed with a minister and some lawmakers for tainting the government's image by meddling in Thursday's upazila elections, said sources in her party.

In breach of the electoral rules, Fisheries and Livestock Minister Abdul Latif Biswas and Awami League (AL) lawmaker Abdur Rahman Bodi interfered in the polls in Belkuchi upazila of Sirajganj and Teknaf of Cox's Bazar.

Talking to The Daily Star yesterday, Agriculture Minister Matia Chowdhury said, “What they [Latif and Bodi] have done is an embarrassment to the government. This was never expected."

Also an AL presidium member, she said the EC has every right to take punitive measures against those who had sought to exert influence on the electoral process.

"I think the prime minister won't interfere in the commission's move against those responsible," said the agriculture minister.

Earlier Thursday, the EC initiated steps against the two for attempting to influence local balloting.

As per the electoral laws, Latif and Bodi face up to seven years in prison and fines for the charges that are considered criminal offences.

At the Awami League Parliamentary Party meeting tomorrow, Hasina would rebuke the ministers and lawmakers for disgracing the party, said AL sources.

Latif and Bodi would have to explain their actions before ALPP. Hasina, also president of AL, might issue warning letters against them.

Besides, she will caution everyone against doing anything that might bring the government into disrepute. She will warn them of stern disciplinary measures, added the sources.

Some other senior leaders too have expressed resentment at some of their colleagues' failure to behave themselves during the upazila elections.

Talking to The Daily Star, they said if the MPs are not given proper orientation immediately this kind of situation would recur.

They observed that interference by the party lawmakers was the result of their “ignorance” about how an MP should conduct himself.

The Daily Star - Details News

Only issuing warning letters will not do.He should be kicked out of ministry and they should be tried for violation of Rules.

Bodi sued for poll code flouting, beating official

A case was filed against Awami League lawmaker from Cox's Bazar-4 constituency Abdur Rahman Bodi Thursday night accusing him of violating electoral code of conduct and beating up assistant presiding officers at a polling centre during upazila polls.

Gias Uddin, assistant presiding officer of Sufia Community Primary School polling centre at Fulerdeil village under Teknaf Upazila, lodged the case with Teknaf Police Station.

However, Bodi denied all allegations against him and said a vested group campaigns against him to tarnish the image of the government. “I only visited the polling centres. Why did I beat election officials?”

In the case statement, Gias alleged that Bodi entered Sufia Community polling centre at 12 noon and beat him up for not showing respect to the lawmaker by standing up.

“At first Bodi verbally abused me and another presiding officer Bashi Ram Dey. Bodi then beat up me and Bashi Ram and forced us to leave the poling centre,” said Gias who is the branch manager of Teknaf Islami Bank.

Jasim Uddin, officer-in-charge (OC) of Teknaf Police Station, said a case was recorded under sections 353 and 332 of the Penal Code against Bodi for beating up a government officer and violating the electoral code of conduct.

Cox's Bazar Judicial Magistrate Sahedul Karim, also the magistrate on duty, investigated the incident and found the allegations true against Bodi, said the OC.

Dr Rupen Chakma, presiding officer of the polling centre, also confirmed the incident and said voting was suspended for around half an hour at the centre because of the attack on the assistant presiding officers.

After the first incident, Bodi entered Pollanpara Government Primary School centre and harassed assistant presiding officer M Ayub for not showing respect to him, locals said.

Presiding Officer M Moin Uddin said, “We all are surprised after observing the behaviour of Bodi. He also verbally abused me when I protested against his behaviour."

Awami League rival chairman candidate Sona Ali also alleged that Bodi issued him death threat for contesting the upazila elections.

The Daily Star - Details News

It is wrong to paint both parties with exactly the same brush. The two main parties have very different characteristics. The BNP is a very white collar type party but also aligned with the peasantry but tends to engage in corruption and other financial crimes. The AL on the other hand is very blue collar and far more thuggish and brutal. What happened in the Upazilla elections on this scale and ferocity has only happened under AL regimes. The BNP has been accused of vote rigging but never on this scale or with this type of violence and intimidation. I think we should stop being so polite and call a spade a spade.

Well we saw enough of BNP. BNP can not be an alternative to AL. Very bad for country.... Need something new... :cheers:

Well we saw enough of BNP. BNP can not be an alternative to AL. Very bad for country.... Need something new... :cheers:

I will vote for you if you run for election;)

Apart from jokes,it is necessary to see who can be alternative to these two parties..to me NO ONE.Not for another 20 years at least.

But I have one undemocratic solution though:

MILITARY DICTATORSHIP:enjoy:

:cheers::cheers:

I will vote for you if you run for election;)

Apart from jokes,it is necessary to see who can be alternative to these two parties..to me NO ONE.Not for another 20 years at least.

But I have one undemocratic solution though:

MILITARY DICTATORSHIP:enjoy:

:cheers::cheers:

None in the top ranks of the army will do this.

i dont get this why the AL govt still kissing India's ***!!
have they nothing good to do...!!all the f***** up d*******s.........

I am really ashamed that Bangladesh has voted for these thugs, crooks and vote thieves. Now there is no doubt about the true agenda of the AL. They intend to dominate BD politics for the next decade by any means necessary.

Brother I came to a concluding realization is that may be people of BD like to live in misery. They don't learned from the past and making the same ******* mistake by hoping better days ahead with Awami dalal. I am sorry to say but they ******* deserve all this.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom