What's new

New US embassy in Islamabad to get $400,000 camel sculpture

My point is that camels are more well known around the world to be associated with Arabs, not Pakistan. Kind of like the eagle is with the US, even though other countries have eagles too.

Also, why are you yell?

Hi,

The camels are as associated with pakistan as with any other arab country---Jacqueline Kenedy rode a camel in pakistan----a camel driver with his camel and cart was invited over to the united states in the 60's and the item was on public display----was actually a part of the parade as well.

An absolute waste of my tax dollars! That money could be used very wisely elsewhere. Helping Pakistani and/or American kids in their respective countries for example.

That camel bears an uncanny resemblance to Joey Tribbiani's dog sculpture "Pat", in appearance as well as expression and posture:

6x06_Pat.jpg

689550-Camel_John_Baldessari_MJN_-1396277742-710-640x480.jpg

Hi,

The camels are as associated with pakistan as with any other arab country---Jacqueline Kenedy rode a camel in pakistan----a camel driver with his camel and cart was invited over to the united states in the 60's and the item was on public display----was actually a part of the parade as well.
Outside of Pakistan, it isn't well known. If you ask anyone in Europe or North America, they'd say that Camels are associated with Arabs, not South Asians.

I'm not saying the camels aren't associated with Pakistan, they're just not well known to be outside of Pakistan.

No that was not your point! You actually don't know what point you trying to make! In fact are 'stereotyping!
Also, why are you yell?
What are you trying to say here?! LOL!
[/quote]
Actually, that was my point. I don't know where you think I'm contradicting myself.

I wish it were an april fool;'s day thread..but alas..no...

Go on ...reinforce the misguided stereotype.......

Waste of money. They could have built four descent schools with this money which would also have helped develop a friendlier image on the US.
Nothing US does will ever change the image of US in Pakistan.
The mullah's control the image of anyone in Pakistan - and they vociferously chant US as 'kufr' and 'shaitan'.

Presuming that US spending money on a couple of schools is folly. They have spent and given hundreds of millions of dollars on social projects in Pakistan - and the result is all for see - their image in Pakistan.

Ok so what is your point then?! Especially in regards to Arabs & Arab lands to be Synonymous with camels?!
There's Camels in Pakistan & in Rajasthan and around the world?!

There is a theory which says Camels came to Arabia from Asia.

Last edited:
$400,000 for a sculpture that size is peanuts.

I'd agree if it was made of stone. Unfortunately it is cheap fiberglass.

One question, why? It's not like Pakistan is an Arab country, so camels seem like an odd choice.

If it was put in Saudi Arabia that would cause an uproar with the King and his family!

Last edited:
Waste of money. They could have built four descent schools with this money which would also have helped develop a friendlier image on the US.

@CENTCOM

Dear Aeronaut,

I am unable to verify the report of a 400K camel scripture for the new U.S. Embassy in Islamabad. But let me tell you that the United States spends millions of dollars every year, through USAID, on education in Pakistan. USAID is carrying out comprehensive education programs in Pakistan to help millions of children and young people rise as far as their hard work and initiative will take them. The United States supports efforts to enhance student enrolment in schools, student assessment, and early-grade reading. Together with teacher training, these efforts will bring 3.2 million children to read at or above their grade level by 2018. Additionally, we are working to improve access to higher education and help universities tailor their programs to the needs to the country.

USAID has helped rebuild or renovate more than 600 schools over the last three years – providing 86,000 children with new spaces where they can study and learn. In many of these schools, USAID supplied computers, science kits, books, and other educational materials. Another 120,000 children will have access to newly constructed or rehabilitated schools by 2018.

To ensure that Pakistan’s schools are able to provide quality education to their students, USAID helped 15,000 teachers and school administrators upgrade their skills through short-term courses since 2009. Additionally, Pakistan’s Higher Education Commission and USAID designed and rolled out two new teacher education programs: the two-year Associate Degree in Education and the four-year Bachelor’s Degree in Education. These programs are now being taught at 23 universities and 79 colleges to nearly 6,000 students. USAID funds scholarships for 2,350 of these men and women. USAID also funds construction of state-of-the-art faculty of education buildings on five universities, so that future teachers have modern facilities and tools to learn their profession.

The United States understands that the only way a developing nation can progress is through education and that is one of the reason the United States is helping Pakistan in all aspect of education from elementary to university level. We also understand that an educated Pakistan will be prosperous Pakistan.

Abdul Quddus
DET-United States Central Command

I'd agree if it was made of stone. Unfortunately it is cheap fiberglass.

If it was put in Saudi Arabia that would cause an uproar with the King and his family!
Oops, thought it was stone....still...look at the price cities pay for these things.

Back
Top Bottom